Need help with invisible mods...

Xavali7

Hello! I've been having an issue since the first time I started applying mods to Skyrim.

The problem I have is that all the mods that add new textures and meshes end up being invisible (but physically there) in the game. However, there's no problem with mods that modify already existing textures, just the mods that add new ones.

Specifically: The mod that turns the Dragonscale Armor black, or the Sofia mod both work, since they don't add new textures or meshes. However, both Isilmeriel's LOTR weapons and the "Masters of Death" armor both are completely invisible in the game. I can add them to my inventory, use them, craft them,... But no graphic whatsoever.

What I've noticed, though, is that if I install them through the Steam Workshop they work fine. The thing is, there's fewer mods in the Workshop, and I'd like to have all modding centered arount the NMM...

Thanks in advance!

On my second hard drive (D:/Steam/apps/common..., the default Steam structure)

Doesn't NMM change to that when installing? (It detects the game's installation directory, I suppose...) If not, how can I chamge it manually?

I've noticed something else... The mods I said earlier that work (Sofia and that Black Dragonscale Armor) are in the form of an ESP plus a BSA, the same way that the Steam Workshop installs them.

Is there a way to repack the mod in a BSA format when the modder doesn't post it in that way? I'd add them manually to the NMM afterwards...

The default install is C:\, and normally the texture path within the nifs themselves would be something like:

Textures\texture001.dds

or

Textures\ModName\texture001.dds

But some people specify the full path, such as:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\skyrim\Data\Textures\ModName\texture001.dds

Normally, it's not a problem to install Skyrim somewhere else, but as you have your install on your D:\ drive, I suspect the items are invisible because of this pathing error.

Really, it's the fault of the Mod Author, as they should not specify the full path as there is no need. I have made the same mistake myself and some people have invisible swords etc when using my crafting mods.

If you can't install on C:\, you could try changing the path to the textures within the meshes using NifSkope. That should not be too much work if it's just a few mods. But check first and I'd also contact the mod authors. They should be able to fix this quite easily so other people don't get the same problem in the future.

For Morrowind, there is a program the will correct texture path errors in the nifs automatically for an entire directory, but I have not been able to find one for Skyrim.

I kinda solved the problem... I used Archive.exe (comes with the Creation Kit) to get the loose folders and files of the mod, not including the .esp, and pack it into a .bsa. If it happens again, I'll try what you said! ;)

I kinda solved the problem... I used Archive.exe (comes with the Creation Kit) to get the loose folders and files of the mod, not including the .esp, and pack it into a .bsa. If it happens again, I'll try what you said! :wink:

That is interesting. I have not used the CK for quite a while and some auto-update patches have changed how it works and are connected with the Workshop, which I never use (especially after the Paid Mods Debacle).

Perhaps this Archive.exe auto-corrects the texture pathing in the nifs when they are packed into a bsa? I'll have to check it out, make a bsa with some copies of my textures and meshes, then unpack it and see if the path has been corrected. Beats doing it manually!

Cheers!