Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

The fix that worked for me, so I could run the wrapper version of ENB was to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Microsofts official website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I need to add to your comment because the instructions are incomplete. After following that link it gives a download for directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, which asks you for a location to unpack the files. Give it a temporary location, then find the files that were unpacked and run the DXSETUP.exe. This is what actually installs the DirectX 9 components that ENB needs to start without crashing.

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 also and I was ready to flip the table over after struggling with this for at least 3 hours.

Good clarification! I thought this would be pretty clear but if one has never installed DirectX redist packages then it might not be. I'll add this to the first post so that everyone can see it (with credits of course ;3).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d3d9_43.dll is the missing library that really counts for games since Vista came out, IIRC. The DX setup that comes with Steam, is missing the same. AFAIK, the only way to get it is if you upgraded from XP all the way to Win10, or use that June 2010 web setup linked already in this thread.

Hello!

First of all, I don't know if this damages somehow the built in DirectX 12 installation of Windows 10 but I think it doesn't and don't see the reason how it would for DirectX installers do check if components of the installations need to be updated and don't replace the whole installation. Still, if you somehow damage your Windows 10 installation or hardware by doing this, I am not responsible.

So, I made a clean install of Windows 10 after upgrading to it. After getting all of the drivers and other software installed, I installed Skyrim and restored my mod setup. When I tried to boot the game, it would crash instantly, before the Bethesda logo. This could be fixed by deleting the d3d9.dll binary that is required for ENBs, so it clearly was not a load order issue (as it shouldn't have been as my load order was identical to the load order on Windows 7 installation).

Well, first I tried to install the injector version of the ENB. That got me through the Bethesda logo, but crashed after that.

The fix that worked for me, so I could run the wrapper version of ENB was to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Microsofts official website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

There is the link for it. I haven't posted to these forums much, so I am not sure actually if we are allowed to post links, so moderators feel free to edit the post if it is against the rules and apologies for the inconvenience. D:

And if the link is removed, you can find the right page (Microsoft's official website) by googling "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)", at the time of writing this.

After following the link it gives a download for directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, which asks you for a location to unpack the files. Give it a temporary location, then find the files that were unpacked and run the DXSETUP.exe. This is what actually installs the DirectX 9 components that ENB neets to start without crashing. (Thanks for this clarification to Realfriend)

As this is getting rambly, I hope that I helped at least someone. It took me 8 hours of stressful googling and not finding a solution. Somebody in the ENBseries forums had posted half a year ago that he had had some very similar crashing with a preview build of Windows 10 and had installed DirectX 9.0c to fix this. As the web installer DirectX 9.0c versions are unsupported on Windows 10, at least for me it popped an error, and those seem to come up very easily when searching for DirectX 9.0c, this information didn't solve the problem for me, put it pointed me to the right direction so credits to him, I guess. :3

Thanks for reading and have fun with Skyrim on Windows 10! :3

So is this all you have to do? Does it work for both the Injector Version and the Wrapper Version?

I just wanted to add that this fix did not work for me. I know it's not a load order issue as my game runs fine without ENB. I've tried using the most recent release of ENB as well as the injector version. I have a GTX 980 Ti.

*edit* I'm an up and running after messing around with the memory settings. Apparently the settings I had used forever with Win 8.1 no longer worked with Win 10. Changing ExpandSystemMemoryX64 to false fixed it.

The microsoft update did not work for me. I still get crashes until I get rid of the 3 main enb files from the Skyrim directory. I'm using Mod Organizer too. I tired setting the compability to Windows 7 on all the programs on using for Skyrim, (MO, TES5Edit, WryeBash, etc, enbhost.exe). But getting rid of d3d9, enbhost, and the enblocal.ini, I can get back to Skyrim loading. I really kind of want to use ENB, so this is a big bummer.

Thank you williamlee it works know.

@popnlocke have you disable the Xbox Game DVR Overlay some say that also is a posibility that the game CTD.

I disabled the Xbox Game DVR overlay. This did not fix it. I also set ExpandSystemMemoryx64=false like dracofish suggested, but that did not fix it either. Right when I try to continue a save, it goes immediately to desktop. Once I remove the 3 enb files, it's fine even with SKSE.

CPU: i5 2500k

GPU: GTX 780

16GB Ram

Windows 10 Pro

ENB .279

SKSE 1.7.3 (this beta got rid of the "Content is missing" error when loading saved before applying ENB)

Edited by popnlocke

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've started having an issue where certain mods that have never caused me a problem are suddenly all causing the exact same problem. When I start skyrim, the "Bathesda" logo does not show up, even though the sound still plays. When I load a save, the load screen doesn't show anything aside from my level and the fog down at the bottom of the screen. Then when I try to do anything that involves another load screen (in this case leaving Whiterun Castle, both by going out the door and Fast Traveling) I get a totally black screen and my game completely freezes. I managed to find all the mods causing the issue, but all are ones I REALLY want. Anyone know what's going on?