Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

I was able to get the game started by choosing a new game, but it CTD when I entered Helgen Keep. Really bummed, no clue what's causing this.

I would suggest checking your load order, for ENB related crashes occur when starting the game, not while playing it. :smile:

Other than that, I would suggest that you check the same things that I have described below.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've started having an issue where certain mods that have never caused me a problem are suddenly all causing the exact same problem. When I start skyrim, the "Bathesda" logo does not show up, even though the sound still plays. When I load a save, the load screen doesn't show anything aside from my level and the fog down at the bottom of the screen. Then when I try to do anything that involves another load screen (in this case leaving Whiterun Castle, both by going out the door and Fast Traveling) I get a totally black screen and my game completely freezes. I managed to find all the mods causing the issue, but all are ones I REALLY want. Anyone know what's going on?

Did you change your load order after installing Windows 10? Did you clean install or just upgrade? If you just upgraded, make sure to get the Windows 10 drivers for chipset, LAN, GPU and audio devices. I don't see really that old versions for some of those would cause problems with the game, but they sure are not optimal for your computer. If you cannot find/don't feel confident installing drivers, get at least the GPU driver. :smile: If the problem persists (and you haven't clean installed) you could try to clean install your Windows 10. Make sure to back up your important files before this!

Hope this helps :smile:

Edited by williamlee

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I know if user end Direct X User Runtime is installed properly? After I installed that, I restarted my pc and the problem persists. I am not sure if I am doing something obvious wrong, but when I delete the d3d9.dll I can launch the game perfectly fine. Any help at all would be perfect. BTW this is my first few weeks on modding skyrim so I am probably doing something dumb..

How do I know if user end Direct X User Runtime is installed properly? After I installed that, I restarted my pc and the problem persists. I am not sure if I am doing something obvious wrong, but when I delete the d3d9.dll I can launch the game perfectly fine. Any help at all would be perfect. BTW this is my first few weeks on modding skyrim so I am probably doing something dumb..

If you did everything according to the instructions, it should be installed correctly. Make sure that you have also disabled all of the overlays and other possible conflicting software, e.g. steam overlay, xbox overlay, MSI afterburner, Rivatuner Statistics Server, etc. Other than that, you should check that your enblocal.ini settings are correct for your setup. S.T.E.P. wiki and ENBseries forums can be of help when configuring it, if you don't possess the knowledge yourself.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Edited by williamlee

If you uninstall ENB the problem will also go away. That solution will work for me until a definitive fix comes out.

Okay I have had many problems with enb not working in windows 10 and Skyrim . I have done everything said here and still no go at some point or other thought I had break through last night running enb .262 with purevision ran for four hours then wouldn't go anymore kept crashing at start up . I am running through MO not that it matters later tested .262 without purevision didn't start at first changed enblocal ini. line... expandx64 to false... it started up from skse but not MO ( purevision interference) . I dropped down one more enb from site .236 did the false thing purevision and all it works . .279 didnt work , .262 when it wanted , .236 so far so good . It took a while but got it .

Go to C:\Windows\system32 and if you do not have d3d9_43.dll with the rest of the d3dx_xx.dlls, install the linked June 2010 redist.