Is there a program that finds what mod is responsible for a CTD?

NoDakSmack

While trying to get Skyrim working correctly, I swear I remember coming across a program that would tell me the cause of a CTD after it happens, but I can't find it for the life of me. Or maybe there isn't one and I was having a great dream.

I've spent more time trying to get this game running right than I have actually playing it.

Hello.

I believe if you download TES5edit for Skyrim you can then run it and it will give warning that will show if a master is missing. Now this will only work with CTD when starting the game. Don't think it will help if it is CTD during game play. Hope that helps. I don't know of any program that will tell of the crash after it happens. I would like to know that as well. Skyrim keeps randomly crashing for me as well. lol. Likely it is just me doing something wrong with my mods.. :wink:.

edit:

Oh found something. You'd have to set it up and I personally haven't used it but maybe it might help. However you would likely have to have someone read the results.

I hope it is ok to link to Steam.. It is from their forums

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2791993

Yes. Open Skyrim.ini (My Documents/My Games/Skyrim) and add the following to it:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

Afterward, in that same folder you will see a new folder called Logs. Inside that: Script. Inside Script you will (eventually) find 4 logs. Double click and they should open with notepad or any text editor. Papyrus.0.log is the most recent. At the end of it you will see the last process to happen before the crash.

In case the link don't work.. This is really what you need anyway.. ;)

While trying to get Skyrim working correctly, I swear I remember coming across a program that would tell me the cause of a CTD after it happens, but I can't find it for the life of me. Or maybe there isn't one and I was having a great dream.

I've spent more time trying to get this game running right than I have actually playing it.

Thanks, maybe I'll have to mess with the logs. I have used TES5 and LOOT. I've done about every out-of-game adjustment that I can find, so I'm fairly sure it's a mod or combination of them. I'm at a spot between the dragons bridge and solitude where 3 different actions (looting an assassin, pressing esc outside solitude, and walking over a hill) cause me to crash, so I've been trying to figure out what causes those specifically. However, once I thought I had it, I walked around for 20 minutes and it crashed when I went under water, and I couldn't replicate that, so I'm sort of stumped.

I also think my save file is a little wonky from swapping mods in and out too, so maybe I just need to start over. I'm starting to get impatient because my computer is quite a bit better than my fiances and she plays skyrim a lot of the same mods with no problem lol and I'm the one who set all her stuff up too.

I also think my save file is a little wonky from swapping mods in and out too

That right there is a far more likely reason why you're getting crashes. Start a new game, head for the same location and see if it crashes in the same spot.

After installing any mod always use LOOT [https://loot.github.io/]

Other than setting up your plugin list it will help you find conflicts, errors, give you warning, tell you where you can clean your masterlists, etc.

Another program you want is TES 5 EDIT, if you use hundreds of mods like me and a lot of other people TES 5 EDIT can essentially double your FPS. It bought mine to 50 from 32 while using 120 mods.

TES V Edit: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/?

You can find several youtube tutorials on it's nexus mods page, and you'll need to watch them.

Edited by LivingSamosa