Heavy Traffic ×

So Windows 10 is actually spyware.

What you say is absolutely true, I am a conspiracy theory fan but this is not a conspiracy it is a fact.

Sadly though as gamers we are stuck to the upgrade path or will miss out on new feature's.

Still microsoft had cut themselves in the throat as this will mean that linux will catch up, so microsoft will undoubtedly release new direct X updates to try to stay ahead but given that 12 will now become the defining direct X this means that Wine and other emulators for linux will catch up anyway.

Yes I also do not like the interface and did like window's 7 fine but it was like flogging a dead horse as it will soon become obsolete and go the way of XP as microsoft are scheduled to stop updating it soon with window's 8 having about another year or two on top so 8 user's are better catered for but that too is just spyware, well what can we expect from a free upgrade in today's world of big brother surveilance and idiots classifying angry rant's as act's of terrorism on the web.

What they like to forget is all this monitoring is not security as it is against democratic free speech but rather it is control and oppression, give an idiot a gun and he will sooner or later shoot it, the same goes for the control of the net and those who take the power to do so.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 are not scheduled to "stop updating soon" - extended support for Windows 7 continues until 2020, and Windows 8.1 until 2023 (Windows 8 "base" is unsupported and has been since the 8.1 release, however, so you would need the 8.1 update) based on current Lifecycle documentation (they could always extend those dates further outward, as they did with Windows XP). Support for Windows 10 is scheduled to end in 2025, only two years after Windows 8.1.

DX12 has only been "in the wild" for about 72 hours, and as far as I know no game supports it, let alone requires it, and it's probably nothing to worry about in the near future (and depending on how well Windows 10 is adopted, it may not ever be a "big deal" - like DX10 with Vista).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DX12 has only been "in the wild" for about 72 hours, and as far as I know no game supports it, let alone requires it, and it's probably nothing to worry about in the near future (and depending on how well Windows 10 is adopted, it may not ever be a "big deal" - like DX10 with Vista).

Some reviews seem to suggest that the performance gain will be substantial compared to Dx11:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

Some reviews seem to suggest that the performance gain will be substantial compared to Dx11:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

"Microsoft and Futuremark gave us early access to the latest 3DMark test, which lets us measure just how much more efficient Microsoft's Windows 10-only gaming API is than its predecessor, and whoa mama, does it perform. But before we get too carried way and the hype train leaves the station with a big toot toot, remember that this is a theoretical test, and not based on an actual game engine."

- Gordon Mah Ung (Executive Editor, PCWorld) Mar 26, 2015 6:00 AM

We will have to wait and see the real deal, which shouldn't take too long.

I'm surprised people are still using Skype.

"Microsoft and Futuremark gave us early access to the latest 3DMark test, which lets us measure just how much more efficient Microsoft's Windows 10-only gaming API is than its predecessor, and whoa mama, does it perform. But before we get too carried way and the hype train leaves the station with a big toot toot, remember that this is a theoretical test, and not based on an actual game engine."

- Gordon Mah Ung (Executive Editor, PCWorld) Mar 26, 2015 6:00 AM

We will have to wait and see the real deal, which shouldn't take too long.

Indeed, Microsoft was more conservative and cautious:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893316/microsoft-directx-12-will-increase-your-graphics-performance-by-20-percent.html

I fail to see how windows 10 is spyware, sure you've got the visual ident but that seems to be only for helping you log in and protecting you from hackers and whatnot.

Erm, I don't need something watching my behavior and recording everything I do or say to be protected from hackers. Exercising good standard practices does that better than any such system. Any hacker worth their salt would just bypass it all and access the files directly anyway. It doesn't protect from online threats, it doesn't protect against physical theft, and anyone who believes otherwise is simply clueless about how illegal groups work. It is very easy to hook up a harddrive to another PC to copy over data, it is very easy to wipe a laptop to factory defaults, it is very easy to convince people to install software that records and transmits data or takes control of that computer. None of these "features" are going to have any preventative effect on malicious behavior, and instead allow more avenues for malicious programs to just collect the data that is already being recorded by Windows.

They will however work well in completely locking you out of your own PC when they run into an error or you (or someone in your household) mis-type your own password.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fe4gu/microsoft_has_locked_me_out_of_my_computer_for_72/

I fail to see how windows 10 is spyware, sure you've got the visual ident but that seems to be only for helping you log in and protecting you from hackers and whatnot.

Erm, I don't need something watching my behavior and recording everything I do or say to be protected from hackers. Exercising good standard practices does that better than any such system. Any hacker worth their salt would just bypass it all and access the files directly anyway. It doesn't protect from online threats, it doesn't protect against physical theft, and anyone who believes otherwise is simply clueless about how illegal groups work. It is very easy to hook up a harddrive to another PC to copy over data, it is very easy to wipe a laptop to factory defaults, it is very easy to convince people to install software that records and transmits data or takes control of that computer. None of these "features" are going to have any preventative effect on malicious behavior, and instead allow more avenues for malicious programs to just collect the data that is already being recorded by Windows.

They will however work well in completely locking you out of your own PC when they run into an error or you (or someone in your household) mis-type your own password.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fe4gu/microsoft_has_locked_me_out_of_my_computer_for_72/

You're right. Everyone else is wrong. No reason to keep this thread going.... :armscrossed:

Yeah I've seen those Futuremark things too, and they do look very promising. But we've yet to see any games take hold of it (at least that I'm aware of). It'd be awesome if DX12 did take off and did deliver performance like that, but at the same time I doubt it's anything we'll see in the immediate future. This is 100% a guess on my part, mostly based on how quickly/slowly (depending on how you view it) DX9/10/11 came about. I think the big "gotchas" here, however, are that DX11.3 is supposed to offer similar functionality to DX12, and nVidia and AMD have provided pretty significant commitments for backwards compatibility with 11.3/12 on existing hardware (and neither of these has ever happened before), so maybe DX12 will be helped along by those things. On the other hand, it may end up in the same boat as Mantle as an "alternative choice" for users with appropriate hardware/software. Again, just guessing here - only time will really tell.

Yeah I've seen those Futuremark things too, and they do look very promising. But we've yet to see any games take hold of it (at least that I'm aware of). It'd be awesome if DX12 did take off and did deliver performance like that, but at the same time I doubt it's anything we'll see in the immediate future. This is 100% a guess on my part, mostly based on how quickly/slowly (depending on how you view it) DX9/10/11 came about. I think the big "gotchas" here, however, are that DX11.3 is supposed to offer similar functionality to DX12, and nVidia and AMD have provided pretty significant commitments for backwards compatibility with 11.3/12 on existing hardware (and neither of these has ever happened before), so maybe DX12 will be helped along by those things. On the other hand, it may end up in the same boat as Mantle as an "alternative choice" for users with appropriate hardware/software. Again, just guessing here - only time will really tell.

^IF games take to DX12.

Bob, you are awesome. Wish we had more of you around.

EDIT: spoilers included for the reader's convenience.

Edited by MotoSxorpio

I rather see these promised gains as the proverbial carrot. Microsoft targets the PC gaming community with the magic word "performance gain". There is another interesting article, which theorizes that probably the DX11 -> DX11.1 scenario will play out again in terms of backwards compatibility and enhanced features that do require purchasing new hardware. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873545/dont-panic-directx12-wont-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all.html). The other part of the Windows user pool is apparently lured into upgrading by the 1-year free upgrade offer. If something is offered for free (as in free drinks), it's a 100-percent certainty that you will be paying for it with something else. And I strongly suspect, it's your personal data. By the way, AMD has already shelved Mantle in favor of DX12 (https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle The key sentence: " However, if you are a developer interested in Mantle "1.0" functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX® 12 or GLnext.").

Another interesting article that reviews Win 10 from a Windows 7 user's point of view:

http://wccftech.com/windows-10-review-for-windows-7-user/

As to Windows Defender:

I've just installed a third-party Antivirus on my old notebook that I use to test Win 10. Indeed, installing a third-party AV application disables Windows Defender. It is no longer running, and it's startup is set to "Manual".