Long War Mod Manager - mods can now update config files

SpazmoJones

Hi All

My new "Long War Mod Manager" is now available (http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/620/?). It's a utility that simplifies the installation and removal of Long War mods and can be used as a replacement for PatcherGUI. Thanks to wghost81 for allowing me to use PatchUPK - I couldn't have made this otherwise.

A feature that mod authors may find useful is the ability to define configuration file changes within the mod file itself. This allows for things like second wave options to be added to a config file automatically without the user having to edit anything.

The configuration information is stored within a special comment "config" block that looks like this:

/*<CONFIG>
FILENAME=XComGame\Localization\INT\XComGame.int
SECTION=UIGameplayToggles
ADDLINE=m_arrGameplayToggleTitle[35]="Omega 13 (#35)"
ADDLINE=m_arrGameplayToggleDesc[35]="Restarting a mission using the Omega 13 time travel device will cost credits for each soldier. Requires Bronzeman option if Ironman mode is enabled."
</CONFIG>*/

The above example is from my Omega 13 mod and adds a second wave options to the XComGame.int file. I've modified my Alien Sight Range mod to automatically configure the Alt+V shorcut using a config block as well.

Oh, wow, thank you! This is excellent stuff and a huge win for mod installation! Definitely will use this to make installation simpler.

Edit: haven't had a chance to try it get, but off the top of my head I have some feature requests :)

Some of my mods require file installation too, both to the cookedpcconsole and config folders. Having directives to copy files from the mod folder to these places would be super useful (you probably have something like this for handling the LW files?)

For mods with extra files, being able to put the mod files in a subfolder would be great to keep things tidy.

Being able to install mods to vanilla without LW would be nice too, that's usually the first thing people ask about my mods.

Lastly, some kind of dependency thing would be cool, so I can record my mod as requiring some other mod. Could be something as simple as using the mod URL as a key and specifying that in a REQUIRES_MOD or PROVIDES_MOD directive would probably do it.

Edited by tracktwo

Awesome tool... but, i'd have a small request too.

Adding a sequencer function that defines in which exact order any of the mods listed get installed from #1 to last. This could probably be designed as a simple column on the left-side margin that indicates each of the slot numbers while such selections should just be cycled through via some up/down arrows from the right-side margin.

I've always found certain priority files NEED to preceed others for reasons such as dynamic compatibilty checks with "double-code" affectations to specific dual impacts on the same UPK regions or assets. And yes, this has everything to do with UICollection_Tactical_SF and how we (you & i, Spazmo) both try to fix the F1-Info HUD (( full stats or new UI-Colors, btw! ))... and other tricky stuff like the Barracks list, etc.

It would prevent a lot of troubles, i think.

PS; Another weird concern if you don't mind. Our famous "re-sizing" methods that moves specific chunk of code all at once. Some sort of warning red-tag could be provided to enhanced these facts about two files that might cause conflicting "Patch attempts".

Edited by Zyxpsilon

• 5 months later...