Discussion: Do you like skyrim with many or a few mods?

Itamar310

Hey everyone! I've had Skyrim for a little more than half a year now (I joined the party late, I know), and been modding skyrim for about four months maybe? The first 130 hours were completely modless (last 20 were with lanterns on waist), and the other 343 hours have been more and more modded with each playthrough. I am currently running 120 mods (surpirsingly the game didn't break permenantly yet), and I've decided to review my use of mods. My mods are made of categories (I'll explain on those requiring):

-Armors, Weapons & Clothes (18)

-Audio ( 8 )

-Character, Gameplay & Misc. (28)

-Cities, Towns & Villages (7)

-Combat Tree Suitable (6)*

-Display (12)

-Followers, Companions & Mounts (12)

-Hyper-Immersion ( 8 ) - Since many mods are called "Immersive" something, yet affect different areas, I have created the "Hyper-Immersion" category, which is a category for mods that realism feels quite non-existent without (well, kinda).

-Magic Tree Suitable (10)*

-Patches (12)

-Quests (15)

-Stealth Tree Suitable (6)*

*The Tree Suitable categories are meant for mods that I want to use for a character using mostly this tree - E.G. a Wizard probably wants every mod in the "Magic Tree Suitable" Category, but not every (if any) mod from the "Combat Tree Suitable" Category.

As you can see, not all of my mods (142) are installed, and yet 120 is not what your average Dovahkiin would call "Vanilla". I would like to hear your exeprience modding Skyrim. Do you like many mods? Do you like just a few? What kinds of mods do you like to use, and why? Do you like a slighlty changed Skyrim, or an Immersive, Overhauled a 1000 times "The Modding Scrolls V: Middle Earth"?

Edited by Itamar310

I was a PS3 holdout for a long time. But then one day, while I was surfing youtube, I saw this mod spotlight for equippable Alduin wings.

My world tilted on its axis. I had to have that mod. So I went out an bought the Legendary edition for PC, and I've been modding like crazy every since.

I have around 240 ESPs installed, with countless more mesh and texture replacers. I like to keep things roughly lore-friendly - my personal modding philosophy is "Vanilla but better". (Funnily enough, I never actually installed that Alduin wing mod. Go figure.)

Here are my mod categories, listed in order of importance for me personally:

-"Foundation" mods > SKSE, Unofficial Paches, SkyUI, etc

-Overhauls > PerMa, Civil War Overhaul, Immersive College of Winterhold, Better Vampires, Moonlight Tales, etc

-Immersion > Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Hunterborn, Climates of Tamriel, etc

-Visual > Natural Vision ENB, Enchanced Lights and FX, lots and lots and lots of texture and mesh replacers

-New Content > Interesting NPCs, Armor mods, Spell mods, odds and ends and stuff

For a long time I have played my Skyrim on xbox360 (collectors physical box was too tempting :tongue: ). At some point my poor xbox couldn't handle anymore sniping from long distasances without crashing and there was Steam SALE! so I went with it and bough pc copy :happy:

Everything was fine till I decided to get roadsign mod, since I was always turning the wrong way. Ofc there was HD retexture... When looking at it ingame the mountains in the background looked bleak > next download. After that one thing lead to another and I ended up with almost 100GB worth backlog of mods.

Rule of thumb: Mod it till it breaks. Fix it. Mod some more. Tweak it. Play it till next bunch of mods gets released by the crazy bunch making and uploading them on nexus :laugh: Repeat.

PS: You guys do a great job :wink:

Once in a while there are some breakthrough releases, bumping up gameplay quality >>> must have for me.

For example >> I don't think many heard of "Combat Behavior Improved by Moljka". It's an adaptation of Zartars "Skyrim Behavior", a concept resource tool/pack. The new files allow the game engine to interupt played animation and smothly transit into another (in vanilla you are locked in one place by animation and can't do anything till it ends). Mjolka successfully wrote block&attack behaviour file for custom animations, making it possible to cancel mele weapon attacks with block (no tools needed, this version is for average skyrim player).

My BASIC mod list:

Combat AI mods - helps with immersion and increases fun factor. Enemies trying to surround and mob you, following you into water and indoors. - /// Duel Combat Realism / Follow Me / NPC Smarter Water AI / Combat Evolved

Camping and survival - /// Hunting in Skyrim

Need mods > hunger, thirst, sleep depravation, diseases. - /// RND

Horse mods > horse bag inventory, follow commands (whistle), custom saddles /// Convenient Horses

Follower managment mods > handling equip, letting your companion to relax and interact - /// AFT

Voiced Followers with custom AI - /// INIGO

Animations > with FNIS we can use custom animations, a combination of few animation packs makes the movement a lot more fluid and casting spells more fun -/// Immersive Animations / Mystic Knight / YYAnimReplacerZweihander / Pseudo Parry / Dual Wield Improoved / Dual Wield Blocking / Animation / 3rd Person Animation Mod / Get Up animation or D13 Faster Get up Stand up / Pretty Jump Animations by Dualsun /Skyrim Horses Renewal - Animation pack

+ Combat Behavior Improved

HDT Physics - for realism

Audio Overhauls -/// Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2 / Additional Player Voices for Skyrim / Grumpy Sound FX

Decorating Tools > for moving around static objects or fixing in place other items -/// Jaxonz Positioner

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/52583-1-1415271603.jpg

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/52583-1-1415901094.jpg

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/52583-2-1412752228.jpg

UI mods > SkyUI anyone?

SKSE

Game fixes, etc - /// Enboost / Stable uGridsToLoad / Memory Patch / TES5Edit / WyreBash / LOOT / Mod Organizer / USKP

All the quest and new lands mods are a bonus. Those are nice, but I can survive without them. On other hand Enb and visual improvements are essential for my immersion which I have tons of :D

I don't change the basic concept of the game and rather get mods that could as well be on Bethesda's "To do list".

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns