Win 7 Pro vs Win 10

Rruarfff!!! Hiya' all.

Here's the deal. Coming up on 2 years successfully using Win 7 PRO [64 bit] OEM on my relatively 'new' system with minimal problems.

Now I have the option to update to Windows 10 [FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME].

I'm cheap and don't want to spend money if I don't have to.

All of my software/firmware/hardware has been installed/setup with my Win 7, and I don't want to screw things up or be forced to reinstall a bunch of stuff because it's not compatible with something.

[i was a Win XP user before this, but I can't get some of my older XP games/stuff to function correctly on Win 7 due to driver/software/etc issues, even in compatibility mode and I don't want the same thing to happen by upgrading to Win 10].

So I'm looking for opinions/info/kudos/bitches/etc. from users and non-users about Windows 10 as compared to Windows 7.

I'm doing my online research about it, but hearing opinions directly from users/modders on topics is always of greater benefit than solo searching.

Your input is valued, here's my system stats;

Processor:
Intel i7-4770k CPU @ 3.5 GHz
RAM:
Kingston- 4 x DIMM 32 GB DDR3 Dual channel @ 1600
Motherboard:
Asus Z87-WS LGA 1150 w/ Gen3 4-way, SATA-6 Gb/s, USB 3.0, lots more
Video Card:
MSI Lightning nVidia GTX 770 w/ 2 GB
Hard Disks:
Samsung Pro 256 GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2 TB HDD
Power Supply:
Corsair Gold 950 watt (SLI/Crossfire ready)
Case or Enclosure:
CoolerMaster Full ATX 690 II
Monitor:
Philips 46 inch HDTV & Samsung TFT-LCD 22 inch widescreen
Audio Equipment:
SoundBlaster X-Fixtreme 5.1 audio card, w/ Tactics 3D Sigma Headphones
Input Devices:
SteelSeries- Merc Stealth keyboard, Diablo III mouse
So, what do ya' figure people?
Update, Ignore [for now], Wait 'til they fix any bugs[usually a year, right?].
Am I gonna have to buy a touchscreen?
THX
Ooops...NO 46" HDTV anymore [damn it was awesome to play on], it was 6 years old and blew under the strain about 4 months ago. Have to replace it one day...

Win 10 cons:

-current version may occasionally freeze

-no Windows Media Center

-not all of the old applications work in win 7 compatibility mode

-search tool uses Bing search engine

-forced updates, only users upgrading from Win 7/8 Pro/Enterprise/Education will be able to delay updates for limited time

-botched updates being released and fixed over time

-upgrading from different version of windows might break your Ethernet > requires manual fixing

Win 10 pros:

-direct 12 support

-you can perform search by file type/date in advanced options under Start Menu

-better option than win 8.1

-better multiscreen desktop support

I won't be upgrading to win 10 untill I get all the information on users privacy. From what I read so far Microsoft has more access to private data than in previous versions.

Hopefully we will get some more input on issues from people using/testing win 10 more extensively.

Win 10 cons:

-current version may occasionally freeze

-no Windows Media Center

-not all of the old applications work in win 7 compatibility mode

-search tool uses Bing search engine

-forced updates, only users upgrading from Win 7/8 Pro/Enterprise/Education will be able to delay updates for limited time

-botched updates being released and fixed over time

-upgrading from different version of windows might break your Ethernet > requires manual fixing

Win 10 pros:

-direct 12 support

-you can perform search by file type/date in advanced options under Start Menu

-better option than win 8.1

-better multiscreen desktop support

I won't be upgrading to win 10 untill I get all the information on users privacy. From what I read so far Microsoft has more access to private data than in previous versions.

Hopefully we will get some more input on issues from people using/testing win 10 more extensively.

Win 10 pros:

- Uhmm.... Dx12, once they start to release Dx12 enabled games.

Win 10 cons:

- Intrusive data collection practices;

- There are no major titles that support Directx12;

- Microsoft does not provide information on updates downloaded to your computer (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-has-no-plans-to-tell-us-whats-in-windows-patches/)

My advice: stick with Windows 7 for the time being.

MS is giving us a year to decide. I plan to allow the early adopters to find the bugs and the geeks to fix the privacy issues. I am already seeing articles on how to keep Win10 from calling home constantly and handing off information about your browsing habits, current location, friends and what you just bought. And even an article telling how to get Cortana to use Google instead of Bing to search ( but I use DuckDuckGo to search instead, :blush: )

Win10 is changing the way MS gets paid for the OS. in the past, you paid up front and you were their customer. Starting with Win10 you are no longer the customer you are the product being sold. It worked for Facebook and Google, so they are hoping selling your data to anyone and everyone will work for them too. By being able to sneak in 'updates' (that you won't be able to prevent) that block those tricks to keep them from getting your data, they get more money from their real customers - the people paying them for your information.

MS is giving us a year to decide. I plan to allow the early adopters to find the bugs and the geeks to fix the privacy issues. I am already seeing articles on how to keep Win10 from calling home constantly and handing off information about your browsing habits, current location, friends and what you just bought. And even an article telling how to get Cortana to use Google instead of Bing to search ( but I use DuckDuckGo to search instead, :blush: )

Win10 is changing the way MS gets paid for the OS. in the past, you paid up front and you were their customer. Starting with Win10 you are no longer the customer you are the product being sold. It worked for Facebook and Google, so they are hoping selling your data to anyone and everyone will work for them too. By being able to sneak in 'updates' (that you won't be able to prevent) that block those tricks to keep them from getting your data, they get more money from their real customers - the people paying them for your information.

Thought it was 3 months once updated?

I'm keeping Win 7 Ultimate, updating my Linux distros and keeping a viable VM launch. I don't like Win 10...none of the updated laptops from 8.1 or even non upgraded win7 media players work fully with online bought and burned with license cds. Like WMP wants some proof of purchase or something to play it...gotta download VLC and install it to play an Audio CD. Not burned. Nothing but cda tracks on the cd, still won't play it. This is four machines that use WMP and are win7 +. Maybe Gates needs to get back into that throne over there... :confused:

Win 10 gives you a month to decide if you want to roll back to your previous OS.

http://cdn5.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/img_55ce4d4272002.png

Here's what I want to know. I've heard that in Windows 10 y ou don't get access to the game directories of games that aren't steam based. (like say the original disc versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 which are the ones I have) so modding htem is next to impossible. is this true or am I mistaken?

I HIGHLY recommend going to bleepingcomputer.com

(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10/)

Bleeping just don't lack enough experts.

The nexus is great, but don't make your decision here.

In short, bleeping comp says no. Too many installation errors.

But here's my opinion. Do you hate windows 7 or something? If not, then seriously, don't. I never imagined how bad W8 would be. Never.

Wait until Microsoft SERIOUSLY fixes W10.

I know W10 has some great features that even I want, but above all else, I just want to go back to W7.

Edited by Cowgoesmoo3