Mods and assets from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Dark0ne

I wanted to bring to light some official news from GSC, the creators of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games, on some information regarding the use of their assets in other games.

A few people not in the know have either been using the fact a few mods on the Nexus sites use STALKER assets as an excuse to use assets from other games and mediums or claim that we're some how biased or turning a blind eye to illegal content in some mods.

We take reports of the use of illegal content very seriously, perhaps more serious than most sites out there but, as we continue to say, we're not always up-to-date with every mod hosted here so we rely on you, the community, to let us know if you think something is amiss by reporting content. Lots of folks do and we're very thankful for it. Similarly we haven't played every game in existence so some times have no clue that the assets in a mod are from another game.

When the first mods appeared using STALKER assets (a long time ago) we were told that GSC allowed their assets to be used in non-commercial work. Buddah followed this up by contacting the relevant people at GSC and sure enough Buddah was told that this was fine. In recent months new moderator Thandal has pursued the case again, to once again verify the validity of claims (as I said, we take this stuff seriously!), and GSC have now posted up an official response on their forums regarding this issue:

It is done! GSC made its official lawyer-vetted statement:

GSC has made explicit its position regarding the legal status of mods, including the use of its resources with others games. You can find the original under the link below. I am attaching a translation, as well.

http://gsc-game.com/...=6798&sec_id=14

Mods (modifications) of a computer game can be made by a person who has legally acquired a licensed copy of the game and exclusively for the purpose of its use on the hardware belonging to the person performing the modification or persons to whom the modification was given on non-commercial basis (such as freely over the Internet).

This means that the person who makes a mod for a computer game can use this modification exclusively on non-commercial basis.

The author of the mod retains authorship and exclusive rights on the mod. However, the resources used for development of the given mod belong to another person. As such, the mod does not wholly belong to the author of the modification, who does not have full control over it (such as for commercial use).

Our company allows non-commercial use of mods for our computer games. If you want to use mods developed for our games (such as from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series) with another game, you have to turn to that game's developers for permission.

You can check out the original Russian thread or read the English translation on their official forums.

This is a nice breathe of fresh air in the gaming industry and we definitely welcome such an open policy to the use of assets. Please remember that this policy only applies to GSC STALKER assets and using content from most other games is still a violation of copyright and will not be tolerated here. If in doubt, ask a moderator or post on the forums and someone will tell you for sure.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has always been my impression that the importing of resources from other games was a violation of Bethesda's TOS. While I applaud the announcement from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers this really doesn't change much of anything as far as the Nexus goes or am I mistaken about this. I don't know what the TOS is for Dragon Age.

Rabbit

That is more likely their policy on the official forums to reduce negative rep and work load. Rather than keep a list of which developers have given permission on specific assets they blanket ban the entire concept, thus reducing the hassle involved in it. We don't need to be burdened by the same system.

If someone from Bethesda wishes to correct me on the matter they can, but that's the view I'm taking until I hear otherwise.

I have always been a huge fan of the STALKER series and have all three of them, it was STALKERs Oblivion Lost mod that introduced me to mods in the in the first place. I was glad to see the STALKER models in Fallout 3 not just because I am a fan of the game, but because rather than letting good (3D) models going to waste in I game I wasnt playing (at the time), now they could be used to our benefit.

Seeing the models used in another game is great because it reminds me of STALKER and the love I have for the game. You know the saying out of sight out of mind… Anyway my view point is that it isnt stealing or detracting from another game to use its assets as long as the assets can be traced back the original game, but that is just my view point… I respect the legal terms of use in this regard, to use other assets in a game.

Edited by Zalpha

@urbex : The game companies are paying salaries to their staff to produce these assets, or outsourcing at high cost to get them. I think it's fairly reasonable personally that they don't want something that cost them money being handed out for free. All in all, it's pretty generous of GSC and shouldn't just be treated with a sigh and "about effin time" kind of attitude.

As for pursuing, make no mistake they do. A friend of mine has a relative in the legal profession who gets plenty of work from games companies sending cease and desists out to sites.

@Zalpha

Yea, the problem is though I'm willing to bet that the bulk of people who just want assets from a game will just get a pirate copy - Not something that game companies (or gamers if they care about the future of gaming) particularly want to see grow. I know this first hand from reverse engineering sites I'm a member on..

@Thandal

Well the last one I sent in got ignored despite the fact that I was correct.

Anyway, I've played the lone black sheep now - normal service and commentary can resume...

Edited by greywaste

@urbex : The game companies are paying salaries to their staff to produce these assets, or outsourcing at high cost to get them. I think it's fairly reasonable personally that they don't want something that cost them money being handed out for free. All in all, it's pretty generous of GSC and shouldn't just be treated with a sigh and "about effin time" kind of attitude.

As for pursuing, make no mistake they do. A friend of mine has a relative in the legal profession who gets plenty of work from games companies sending cease and desists out to sites.

C&D orders. That's cute.

Anyways, I don't want to derail another thread so I will admit it was cool of GSC for acknowledging this.