Mods and assets from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Dark0ne

doesnt this short version of the statement actually say the total opposite namely that you still need permission?

==================

Mods (modifications) of a computer game can be made by a person who has legally acquired a licensed copy of the game

[you must have bought a copy of stalker to use stalker assets in a mod] and exclusively for the purpose of its use on the hardware belonging to the person performing the modification or persons to whom the modification was given

[you may only mod for the platform you bought the game for and the endusers of that mod own e.g. xbox, pc, ps3, etc]

on non-commercial basis (such as freely over the Internet)

[you may not sell your mod, however donations might still be in the picture as long as they aint win orientated i guess].

This means that the person who makes a mod for a computer game can use this modification exclusively on non-commercial basis

[see above].

The author of the mod retains authorship and exclusive rights on the mod

[the mod you make belongs to you and not the company who made the game].

However, the resources used for development of the given mod belong to another person

[exactly... they belong to the person who created those assets, aka the modeller, sound artist, scripter, etc or in the case of some companies to those and not the individual craftsman or artist].

As such, the mod does not wholly belong to the author of the modification, who does not have full control over it (such as for commercial use)

[because he does not have the rights to those assets, the actual rights owner might even object non commercial use].

Our company allows non-commercial use of mods for our computer games

[now we get to the point especially made for the stalker series; they allow the creation of mods for THEIR games eg STALKER... if you dont make money with it]

If you want to use mods developed for our games (such as from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series) with another game, you have to turn to that game's developers for permission

[if you want to use a mod developed for THEIR games eg STALKER in a mod you made for a different game like fallout you will have to get permission form the STALKER developers].

====================

no actual word about the use of assets... just some basic russian copyright laws in the first two paragraphs and the assurance that you can mod STALKER, but also the limitation that if you want to use a STALKER mod for another game you will have to get permission from the devs of STALKER first, presumely because they know who the owner of each asset in those mods is, no clue.

nowhere do i see something like "our company allows the use of assets , content, media, etc created for our games to be used in non commercial modifications for other games"

maybe it got lost in translation, dunno, dont have an account on the GSC forums but from the above id still be careful lol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to admit it, but I think jaysus is right...it looks like its a statement saying "sure you can use the assets from stalker for modding stalker, just don't use it anywhere else without asking."

I may be wrong. I kinda hope I am.

If you want to use mods developed for our games (such as from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series) with another game, you have to turn to that game's developers for permission

[if you want to use a mod developed for THEIR games eg STALKER in a mod you made for a different game like fallout you will have to get permission form the STALKER developers].

I read that as the exact opposite, as "If you want to use mods developed for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series in another game you have to turn to the developers of that other game for permission", e.g. you have to ask Bethesda, not GSC. Why would they say "that game's developer" if they actually meant "our games"?

What they actually said was:

If you want to use mods developed for our games (such as from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series) with another game, you have to turn to that game's developers for permission.

Note the underlined portions. As Dark0ne said, they have no issue with it but Bethesda has to sign off as well.

I too agree with Jaysus. No way does it say that they allow the free use of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. assets in any game other than S.T.A.L.K.E.R. itself. Quite the opposite in fact.

Obviously GSC can't say what is allowed by other publishers for their (the other publishers') games. GSC can only speak regarding GSC's own materials. What they've said is, "It's alright by us if you do these kinds of things with our assets, but you'll have to talk to others about using the results in theirs."

Which, IMO, is exactly as it should be...

Obviously GSC can't say what is allowed by other publishers for their (the other publishers') games. GSC can only speak regarding GSC's own materials. What they've said is, It's alright by us if you do these kinds of things with our assets, but you'll have to talk to others about using the results in theirs.

Which, IMO, is exactly as it should be...

I still don't read it that way. I still read it as them giving the OK for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. assets to be used in mods for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and nothing more.

Having said that, I may be mistaken but even if what you say is true, it's exactly why Fallout 3 mods using S.T.A.L.K.E.R. assets should NOT be published on Nexus. i.e. you (Nexus) do not have permission from Bethesda to allow mods using the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. assets to be published here.

It's at best a legal grey area and something that Nexus should want to think very carefully about. You do, after all have a very good reputation to maintain and if there were any doubt then I think you would be wise to err on the side of caution

The point is that the entity with the rights over the materials has given permission for their use.

Bethesda has no say over the use of GSC's assets. Bethesda can say that modders can't make changes to Bethesda's games. But they haven't. Bethedsda can say that modders can only use Bethesda's resources (no "community-developed" meshes, textures, scripts, etc.) to make changes to Bethesda's games. But they haven't.

What Bethesda HAS said is that modders may not use Bethesda's materials in other games, even other Bethesda games. (Which, as has been discussed before, is at least partially because Bethesda does not have full rights to all of the resources within some of the games it publishes, but licenses some of them from others.)