[WIP] Helmet Overlays

scrivener07

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: also Megapolom the list I gave you is incomplete. I wasnt very thorough when I made it.

I know. But even though it isn't complete I haven't covered every single item on it. Yet. I stil have a couple of robes and hoods to make. Totally forgot about tesVedit :pinch: Thanks for helping. ​

Edit: Been testing the experimental version and here's what I've gathered so far. The overlays react to light as intended without any glitches or any other kind of problems for that matter. Sometimes, especially outside on a sunny day the jump from lit to shaded happens to quick. It might help if you can make the transition not instantaneous (maybe 1/4 or a half of a sec.). Interiors look great, the only problem thing that slightly bothers me is that when you look at a light source from a close range the overlay stays dark.

I don't know anything about scripting so I'm not sure if these things can be changed, this is just my opinion. Overall, I definitely prefer this build over 2.0

Edit2: So I got a comment http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70006/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D70006%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D3262109&pUp=1 in the forums tab under troubleshooting. I understand 100% what he's talking about, but what I don't know and would actually be helpful is how to fix it. I'll also pm gopher but I doubt he'll get the message.

Edit3: Saw your post and just wanted to say if you can fix it I won't write gopher. Turns out he can't receive them even if I wanted to send him one.

Edited by megapolom

Thanks for the honest impression of the lighting feature. This is very valuable to me. I agree the light transition is a bit abrupt. I will see if I can get it to do a nice fade. I think some of the animations could use some work too.

I dont think Ill be able to do anything about looking at a light source at close range. The light level measures the players detection as a whole, not so much line of sight.

I saw the troubleshoot comment too. It looks like a legit incompatibility with one of the iHUD options. I always use iHUD but never got the issue because I dont use the "link all skyui widgets" option. I think this is something I can workaround. No need to contact gopher yet. I havent dug into iHUD source yet to see if I can do it on my own.

Edit: Nope, iHUD is polling at an interval to hide the base skyui widget container. The only way I see to prevent this is adding an exception case to iHUDs polling update or for me to stop using the SkyUI Widget Framework. I think the second option is doable because I can just attach my movieclips to the HUD myself. The first option depends if Gopher wants to release another update for iHUD which I understand he may have moved on from Skyrim by now.

So if I understand correctly, there is no problem as long as you don't link all skyUI widgets in mcm of iHUD? And not only that you can fix it without gopher doing anything?! You sir, are a god. Btw I watched gophers iHUD v3 video again and I'm pretty sure I heard that it's possible to simply exclude a certain mod from being linked with the rest of widgets. Not sure if it he must be the one to do it or if anybody can.

Edited by megapolom

Hey man, sorry for responding a little late but I've been traveling and was so far unable to test the latest version. I did check the video however and it looks good. I'll see if I can get some testing done today.

Edit: So here's my take on the 2.5b. It's everything I ever really wanted [happy single tear emoji]

I tested lightning duration from .20 to 3.0 and I prefer .20 but that's why the sliders are for. The shading doesn't recognise every single shade (trees in particular) the pc walks over but from what I know about Skyrim that's an engine limitation (you're the expert here).

Could you just clarify, if the lightning duration is shorter, is the update interval shorter too? And does this mean that if the slider is set to, lets say 5.00 does that mean that if the player walks over the shadow in between updates, the overlays won't detect that shade and change? How long is update interval on 1.00 in seconds? Overall I really really ​really like it :laugh:

Keep up the good work.

Edited by megapolom

Looking great. Sorry I haven't been able to work on my overlays. I've been busy with school and trying to find a job, plus midterms are soon.
I hope to have at least the Vanilla helms (light and heavy) done late Nov. and the rest of Vanilla headwear done in Dec. Then hopefully have patches for Immersive Armors, Generic Chainmail Armor, Early-Middleages Helmets pack and Unique Dragon Priest Masks - HD textures some time early next year.

Hey man, sorry for responding a little late but I've been traveling and was so far unable to test the latest version. I did check the video however and it looks good. I'll see if I can get some testing done today.

Edit: So here's my take on the 2.5b. It's everything I ever really wanted [happy single tear emoji]

I tested lightning duration from .20 to 3.0 and I prefer .20 but that's why the sliders are for. The shading doesn't recognize every single shade (trees in particular) the pc walks over but from what I know about Skyrim that's an engine limitation (you're the expert here).

Could you just clarify, if the lightning duration is shorter, is the update interval shorter too? And does this mean that if the slider is set to, lets say 5.00 does that mean that if the player walks over the shadow in between updates, the overlays won't detect that shade and change? How long is update interval on 1.00 in seconds? Overall I really really ​really like it :laugh:

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for testing it out. For the release I wanted the default settings like light duration/strength to be pretty mild to suit most peoples taste. Its pretty hard to find a happy medium for all the overlays. Not every setting looks good on every overlay.

The lighting duration does control the update interval. With a higher duration like 5.0 smaller shadows would be skipped if you passed through them in between updates. I could probably separate the lighting duration into a tween duration and an update interval. Still the update intervals minimum value would have to be greater than the tween duration. The amounts are 1:1 in seconds where 0.5 is half of a second.

Looking great. Sorry I haven't been able to work on my overlays. I've been busy with school and trying to find a job, plus midterms are soon.

I hope to have at least the Vanilla helms (light and heavy) done late Nov. and the rest of Vanilla headwear done in Dec. Then hopefully have patches for Immersive Armors, Generic Chainmail Armor, Early-Middleages Helmets pack and Unique Dragon Priest Masks - HD textures some time early next year.

Cant wait for some teasers. Let me know if you have any problems or questions about getting overlays to work with downloaded armors.

Version 2.5 still needs some more work. I may be able to get it out by next weekend.

Hey, so I checked IA and all the head gear that comes with it and I'm wandering if the mod will work on things like eyepatches and masks. I know that with 2.0 you support the hiarslot?, I just wanted to make sure.

Oh yeah, I heard that you are working on overlays showing during first person kill-cams and I have to say it made me happy. Good luck, hope you can make it work.

Download: v2.5 http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69611/
Make sure all files from previous versions are uninstalled or overwritten.

The new version 2.5 has been uploaded.
-Includes reactive lighting
-More vanilla helmets added to the testing list
-More bug fixes and optimizations

This version also has a new MCM splash by Megapolom. Thanks!

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj569/Scrivener07/splash.png

On top of that I have a website with additional information about Helmet Overlays here: https://sites.google.com/site/scrivenermods/skyrim/overlays

You can find all previously uploaded versions and a guide on creating custom overlay texture packs.

Next up is the ability to display overlay art in menus other than the HUD menu. Im also experimenting with ways to allow more variations of overlay art to be displayed such as male/female variations or armor addon specific variations. Let me know about armors you find that are not supported. Im sure theres a mod out there that wont work correctly :)