Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

i can't find this stupid file anywhere, because oh, """Find the file Backup_DONOTDELETE.zip located in the VirtualInstall folder and open it""" sure, VirtualInstall folder, everydays i go into, first guess was inside the nmm folder, but no, surely it's not, and no they won't take the time to say its like in hidden folders, OR in NMM folder, OR in any location, oh but well, it's so f obvious isn't it? the location of this file is SO f OBVIOUS.

Thank you, Nexus guys, for the wonderful new NMM. Today I successfully updated NMM to v0.60.13 and was ushered into the exciting world of game profiling.

The update was practically effortless, and my Fallout NV game came through unscathed. There was only one hiccup with a zipped file for DarnifiedUI v4, which I was able to remedy quickly. The whole process took about 30 minutes from start to finish and involved 50 mods (some scripted) with 78 plugins.

I did not find the process any more difficult than previous NMM updates where I would encounter an occasional problem.

Please know that I am no arrogant techie boasting of some magnificent accomplishment in an attempt to shame lesser mortals. I know absolutely nothing about programming and software development. (My college majors were philosophy and classical Greek.) However, I have learned through hard experience that mods, modding, and mod organizers are not for the faint of heart. Therefore I did a lot of reading and preparation before updating NMM. When I pressed the commit button, I knew full well what could go wrong, and I knew full well what I would have to do to recover my game.

oh let me call obama, then we'll make some ceremonial shet and give you a hero medal, while you all piss on us saying "eh it worked for me"

Even my f system backup failed HOW IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE ?!?!?!?! How did you do that? How can the program bypass the system backup

and f yeah i ll play skyrim again when i got a new pc, because the thing is that, if only it was re-installing mods, i would do it, and pardon you, give you my bless, and my money.

but there is so much corrupted files so f big mess to do, between the bodyslide files,

i'm really sorry being a scumbag like that, thing is the only way to explain my frustration without insulting the whole world family, i keep in mind that was free, yes, i f***ed up my game for free, and you guys work a lot on this, yes, you guys work so much on this that you just destroyed like hobby of a lot of ppl, sorry, i'm being sarcastic again, s*** happens to everybody, and we should deal with it right? right? right? like my ass deals with the food, sorry

Edit: I had to edit all the F and S

Edited by Badlarry1217

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say first and foremost that I love Nexus and modding VERY much. As soon as I can I will donate or become a premium member. Second is that I tried NMM and the NMM links still did not work for me. I went back to using MO which has been working out better for me anyway. Somehow I still ended up with a virtual install folder on my larger SSD, which I deleted. Lastly, I had a security breach of my own very recently which I suspect had something to do with Nexus. Somehow someone got a hold of my passwords and was trying to tamper with my PayPal account...which was pretty much bone dry anyway. So I'm just trying to let the powers that be here at Nexus know about it and I would also urge all modders to put security first and foremost if you download and mod frequently like me.

Thank you for clearing some things up. I somewhat like the new NMM, but I do have one question. How do I get my mods back? They all show up, but I cannot activate any of them. I uninstalled and reinstalled all of them (190 mods...thank you download history), and I still cannot activate any of my mods. It's a bit frustrating and I could use a point in the right direction.

In response to post #32366955.

Bugsdaman wrote:

Thank you for clearing some things up. I somewhat like the new NMM, but I do have one question. How do I get my mods back? They all show up, but I cannot activate any of them. I uninstalled and reinstalled all of them (190 mods...thank you download history), and I still cannot activate any of my mods. It's a bit frustrating and I could use a point in the right direction.

This has happened to me as well, im not sure what to do either. Some mods will install though, but not most.

• 4 weeks later...

Hate mail? Really?! I gotta say, I'm impressed with you guys! I mean hell, you're bending over backwards to create a game modification program that makes modding our favorite games easy, user friendly, fun and simple. How about a friggin round of applause instead!

I really love the mod manager you've provided, and I don't think you get the gratitude you deserve. I know I'm just one person but take it to heart when I say those of us who aren't pricks really appreciate you and all your hard work.

ANYWHO! I'm looking forward to the new NMM. I was never keen on the updating but I had no problem working with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the new manager and sending any feedback I can. The only thing I can think to change is "Labeling Mods". If you could provide a simpler way to link each mod to their download location, keeping track of them would be so much easier.

Keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

​I am a total Newb when it comes to the concept of modding.

​I have only one question; do I need to reopen the NMM every time I want to play Fallout with mods, or are the mods now so well installed that it's just a matter of starting the actual game?

​That is; are the mods permanently installed, until I decide to make changes in NMM again?

Thanks in advance for any replies. =)

In response to post #32366955. #32439075 is also a reply to the same post.

Bugsdaman wrote:

AndreGabanis wrote: This has happened to me as well, im not sure what to do either. Some mods will install though, but not most.

Same thing happened to me. Finally decided to reinstall my mods since I have a really unstable game and I know I had some really old scripts running still. I upgraded NMM and can't activate any mods.

• 1 month later...

.NetFramework is a WINDOWS program, and is a part of Windows. It is NOT a Nexus program. It is required for many other programs not just NMM. The problems have just been with the latest WINDOWS update of their .net framework program. It works just fine for people who have kept up with the WIndows updates. If you cannot install it, you have a WINDOWS problem. NOT a NMM problem. Nexus cannot fix a Windows problem for you.

If you are using Win7 you NEED the SP1 update at a bare minimum as something in the latest .NetFramework requires the SP1 update that came out several years ago. I still use Win7. And I have had no problem with NMM. On my system, the latest .NetFramework was installed as a part of the regular Windows updates. And NMM just works.

I have not been closely following things. But I did decide to re-download NMM today. Thought I'd poke my head into Skyrim again. I found a .NET issue first. I guess that is on my end. So I had to search around for older versions of NMM. Which, as far as I can tell, do not show up on the main download page.

Some observations:

- If your goal is for the most recent releases to be used "at your own risk" by "people who want to help test the newest updates," why does the main download page only have a link for the newest version? And why is it that when I open NMM, I get a notification that there is an updated version available? (As a popup of all things.) My reaction to both of these are, "Nexus really wants me to use the latest version." Not, "Nexus only wants me to use the latest if I'm willing to deal with some buggy update pains."

- I appreciate the work you put in this. I appreciate the work of all the volunteers that make this community what it is. And I don't expect professional anything. That said, I think communication is key here. Those who want to be guinea pigs for beta software should probably have a signup list or something. There are other ways to alert people to updates than using a popup. And if you don't actually want everybody participating blindly in beta updates, then alerting everyone to updates in a big way, within the program itself, is probably a bad idea.

Calling the program Beta may shield you from some complaints, but if the entire program is considered Beta, no matter what version, then it loses all meaning. It's like the phenomenon where the "are you sure you want to delete this file?" prompt used to get largely ignored because it was on everything (disclaimer: my memory of this phenomenon may not be entirely accurate, but the principle of it should be intact). The general idea is: People are only warned by things that are out of the ordinary.

You can still call the program Beta if you want, but I would then call new releases Alpha, even if you feel they are past the Alpha stage. The importance is in distinguishing between the two for the user, rather than the name itself. Most users, regardless of their intelligence in a debate room or in the workplace of their chosen profession, react to interfaces in the same way - that is, they react to interfaces in a way that mirrors how they react to the real world.

Basically, look up the word Scotoma if I'm losing you.