Skyrim - Games and Companies - Arkane Studios

AdamRundolf001

No. There is zero reason to have some third-party software also running while I am trying to play my SINGLE player game. Steam would be far more acceptable if it were a verify and terminate application. Why do they REQUIRE me to burn machine resources for 'features' I will never, ever, use? Lets go back to the days of the disk check, or, a single use installation key, or some variant thereof. Or the same model that Microsoft uses.... You set up your profile, enter your key, download/install your game, and that's it. You are done. NO third party software running whatsoever. Seems to work great of MS Office. (even the non-subscription versions.)

Steam doesn't do squat for preventing piracy, but it sure as hell kill the secondary market for used games.

STEAM is always in off-line mode unless I am installing or updating a game. Otherwise I have no use for it. I also dislike the way the Workshop installs mods. After subscribing you have no way of knowing what is being installed directly into your game folders. I guess I am paranoid, but I like to know what I'm placing on my computer. No matter what mod I download I always place them in a temp folder so I can look at the contents first.

From a business standpoint I can't see Zenimax's motivation for using STEAM or any third party. As Hey You pointed out, it doesn't prevent piracy. If people not being able to trade games or sell used ones is a minor motive, that won't stop people from downloading full games already ripped and cracked. If they want to play a game bad enough, they will. If exposure and advertising are a motive, I do not look at STEAM for games. I learn about games from TV ads, talking to my internet friends and reading reviews. I'll probably read about a game in PC Magazine before I'll see it or hear about it on STEAM.

Unfortunately, things don't have to make sense for corporations to do them. For every nook and cranny of a DRM there is someone who has already figured it out and shared the results. All of these 'security' measures Bethesda is implementing makes it harder for some of their intended customers to use their products.

Finally, using third party fan sites as distribution platforms isn't very sound. If I buy a license to play a game I do not want or need third party interference. The 'my word is law' game site moderator mentality isn't condusive to a business model site. I do a lot of Daz 3D art and sites like the Daz 3D Forums, SmithMicro and Renderosity are ran as businesses, not fan sites like STEAM, or Nexus for that matter. No matter what happens on those sites, Daz and Poser consumers have access to the licensed software they purchased and have legal right to. Not so on STEAM, where they can game-site-ban people and prohibit them from accessing digital merchandise they have legal right to. 'Violating the rules' of a game site has nothing to do with the game's license, but a third party has the power to prevent someone from playing and maintaining a game they have a license for; if a staff member decides to play internet God and ban them. That's too much power and people are irresponsible.

STEAM and third parties might be the way it is, but that doesn't mean it's smart business or a good idea.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by WursWaldo

• 4 weeks later...

One thing to reduce some of the people loosing their old game disks is to buy one of those black CD books. i have two of them... it keeps me from having them scattered all over my desk or stacking them up like a deck of cards. (I did that when I was 12...) :rolleyes:

Edited by AdamRundolf001