Heavy Traffic ×

Can Only GPU Solve FPS Problem?

partycatX

Hey guyss. Before i ask my questinon i think it's better i tell my hardware.

CPU: Intel® Core i7 4980HQ Processor (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5

RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB)

PC: Alienware M17X R3 (The latest R3)

I think that's enough for explain my rig. Ok, here is my question. My rig of course really good but eventually this is a laptop and laptops not really good for gaming, cuse heat and smaller hardware etc...

That Alienware provides an external graphic card can work with laptop, called Alienware Graphics Amplifier. You can buy a desktop graphic card and put it on this then plug it to the laptop and then you've a desktop graphic card, also that external gpu can work with internal gpu together.

My actual question is if i can buy this graphics amplifier and buy PNY GeForce® GTX Titan X with 12GB GDDR5 (they sell PNY model NVidia) what will happen to my FPS? I got 60 fps in indoors but outdoors i uselly get 30, sometimes 20 and rarely 50. I'm using Realvision ENB and bunch of graphic mod (about 40-50). So if i buy these things, can i get constant 60 fps at outdoors?

Thank you very much

Edited by partycatX

If you're not getting 60 with your 980, you're probably not gonna get it with a Titan either. I'm guessing you've probably hit the limit for graphic mods, which is easy to do; Skyrim's 32 bit engine can only do so much. I've seen many posts where guys have the latest and greatest hardware and complain that their framerates are in the toilet, and it often turns out they have lots of 4k textures and huge grass overhauls. Don't know if this is your situation of course, but you see my point (I hope).

Before you drop a ridiculous amount on a titan, you first need to make sure that your graphics card is the limiting factor.

Download HWinfo for your computer, and open it up looking for the lines (assuming you have hyperthreading deactivated):

"Core #0 Thread #0 Usage"

"Core #1 Thread #0 Usage"

"Core #2 Thread #0 Usage"

"Core #3 Thread #0 Usage"

"GPU Core Load"

"GPU memory Usage"

You need to log these to a file while you play your game for 10-15 minutes. Open the log up and see which of these is hitting 100%. Personally, I see the 4 cores running around 50-60% while my GPU is maxed out at 100% nearly the entire time while my GPU memory usage is no more than 35%. If this is the case for you, then yes a GPU upgrade would help as it would for me.

Point number 2 is are you handling your memory properly in your enblocal.ini and your skse.ini? You can see both MASSIVE stability improvements as well as frame rate improvements by simply having the proper memory handling of your GPU. You can have all the VRAM in the world, but if you don't tell Skyrim to use it...by DEFAULT it won't. I have found realvision fixes some of the issues with the memory, but even it has some serious short comings in its settings. I went from CTD every 15 seconds to 100% stable by just changing a single memory value from 512 mb to 768 mb. A good guide is the warzones 2015 website under their memory management and you page (I'd link it but the site is under maintenance at the moment).

The next point to make is that you need to have realistic expectations when it comes to mods. I run nearly 200 mods with ultra/4k/8k setting on realvision, grass mod, warzones, etc etc on top of running nvidia 3d vision. I get around 30 fps total on my machine even though I have a 4790k with a 980ti. Be realistic on what you can expect. For me I have a monster GPU, but I know the ridiculous load I am putting on it leading to 30 fps. (without nvidia 3d turned on it is nearly 60 however but just shy).

My last point is don't waste your money on a titan x. Get a 980 ti for much less money......it is essentially the same exact card except for the 12 GB VRAm vs 6 GB VRAM. Like I told you I have a ridiculous and absurd amount of textures/mods.....and I don't even sniff 6GB VRAM.

TL:DR

1. Make sure your GPU is actually being maximized at the moment. Find your bottleneck to make sure the component you are improving is the correct one.
  2. Make sure you have the correct .ini settings to make Skyrim utilize memory properly.
  3. Make sure your Skyrim download/modding makes it even possible to hit the FPS you desire.
  4. If you do upgrade, DO NOT by a titan x.....buy a 980 ti. It is the same card/same speed with less wasted VRAM space for much less money.
Edited by alucryts

If you're not getting 60 with your 980, you're probably not gonna get it with a Titan either. I'm guessing you've probably hit the limit for graphic mods, which is easy to do; Skyrim's 32 bit engine can only do so much. I've seen many posts where guys have the latest and greatest hardware and complain that their framerates are in the toilet, and it often turns out they have lots of 4k textures and huge grass overhauls. Don't know if this is your situation of course, but you see my point (I hope).

I'm not getting 60 with 980 but it's not a desktop card. It's 980M uses at laptops. There is a massive difference between same number laptop and desktop gpu.

Before you drop a ridiculous amount on a titan, you first need to make sure that your graphics card is the limiting factor.

Download HWinfo for your computer, and open it up looking for the lines (assuming you have hyperthreading deactivated):

"Core #0 Thread #0 Usage"

"Core #1 Thread #0 Usage"

"Core #2 Thread #0 Usage"

"Core #3 Thread #0 Usage"

"GPU Core Load"

"GPU memory Usage"

You need to log these to a file while you play your game for 10-15 minutes. Open the log up and see which of these is hitting 100%. Personally, I see the 4 cores running around 50-60% while my GPU is maxed out at 100% nearly the entire time while my GPU memory usage is no more than 35%. If this is the case for you, then yes a GPU upgrade would help as it would for me.

Point number 2 is are you handling your memory properly in your enblocal.ini and your skse.ini? You can see both MASSIVE stability improvements as well as frame rate improvements by simply having the proper memory handling of your GPU. You can have all the VRAM in the world, but if you don't tell Skyrim to use it...by DEFAULT it won't. I have found realvision fixes some of the issues with the memory, but even it has some serious short comings in its settings. I went from CTD every 15 seconds to 100% stable by just changing a single memory value from 512 mb to 768 mb. A good guide is the warzones 2015 website under their memory management and you page (I'd link it but the site is under maintenance at the moment).

The next point to make is that you need to have realistic expectations when it comes to mods. I run nearly 200 mods with ultra/4k/8k setting on realvision, grass mod, warzones, etc etc on top of running nvidia 3d vision. I get around 30 fps total on my machine even though I have a 4790k with a 980ti. Be realistic on what you can expect. For me I have a monster GPU, but I know the ridiculous load I am putting on it leading to 30 fps. (without nvidia 3d turned on it is nearly 60 however but just shy).

My last point is don't waste your money on a titan x. Get a 980 ti for much less money......it is essentially the same exact card except for the 12 GB VRAm vs 6 GB VRAM. Like I told you I have a ridiculous and absurd amount of textures/mods.....and I don't even sniff 6GB VRAM.

TL:DR

1. Make sure your GPU is actually being maximized at the moment. Find your bottleneck to make sure the component you are improving is the correct one.
  2. Make sure you have the correct .ini settings to make Skyrim utilize memory properly.
  3. Make sure your Skyrim download/modding makes it even possible to hit the FPS you desire.
  4. If you do upgrade, DO NOT by a titan x.....buy a 980 ti. It is the same card/same speed with less wasted VRAM space for much less money.

I'm gonna try this and gonna write the results. Thank you very very much for your helping :smile: But that warzones provided tweaks are gone. That links give 404 error :(

Edited by partycatX

@alucryts

Here is my log summary;

Core #0 Thread #0 Usage [%] : is sometimes 2 and sometimes 3.

Core #1 Thread #0 Usage [%] : is sometimes 2 and sometimes 3.

Core #2 Thread #0 Usage [%] : is mostly 100.1 and 100, very rarely 99.

Core #3 Thread #0 Usage [%] : is mostly between 800-900, sometimes around 400 and sometimes 2.

GPU Core Load [%] : is mostly 0 and 5, usally near 0 (like 0.2), rarely between 5-10 and very rarely 4.

GPU Memory Usage [%] : is mostly 0 and usally around 65 (60-70).

What those numbers are telling you is, you don't need a bigger graphics card; you're barely utilizing the one you have. Start following alucryt's advice and tweak your settings to better utilize what you have. Here is a guide for setting up your enblocal. A good guide for tweaking your skyrim.ini files is here. Good luck!

What those numbers are telling you is, you don't need a bigger graphics card; you're barely utilizing the one you have. Start following alucryt's advice and tweak your settings to better utilize what you have. Here is a guide for setting up your enblocal. A good guide for tweaking your skyrim.ini files is here. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your help and interest, but that tweaks are useless for me, maybe useful but i already did them. So even these tweaks my skyrim still have low fps. Also some of the mods like "Memory Limit Increase Mod", "4GB Skyrim LAA Mod" explained in http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide#14 are hidden in nexus. I really don't know why these morons hiding or deleting useful mods but also continue publish hell of a bugged mods. I am using ssme but it's not helping much, but helped 5 fps anyways. Better than 0.

Anyways, i think i'm suppose to say gtfu bethesda, gtfu skyrim, gtfu 32bit engines, but a 2nd time gtfu bethesda. Cuse they're totally ignoring their games. Made patches only to v1.9, even 4 gb very unpopular games make patches up to v10 or more. Still lots of bugged quests in game even without 0 mods and with only unofficial patches. And what about bethesda, why they're completely ignoring their games. I hope that Alduin come and takes all of them to Sovngarde, because they're not deserving a life. I don't say, "hey bethesda make a patch and change game engine compeletely to 64bit" but i can say "fix that god damn quests and bugs". UESP explains almost all of quest bugs in game and what bethesda do? NOTHING. SORRY BUT THIS IS ALL BEYOND MY PATIENCE LIMITS.

Anyways i know i talked too much, and now i'm installing The Witcher 3, i hope i love it's gameplay more than skyrim and permanently delete that mthr... game. I already love no loading screens and graphics while only watching the videos.

Edited by partycatX