Textures - Treat me like a newb

ToppDog

...because I still am one :smile:

Okay, my problem is I don't know an easy way to figure out what textures my mod uses & which ones it doesn't. The file size of my last update was pretty big, & I'm sure it was because I had such a freaking hard time getting it right without leaving textures out, that I went overboard & included a whole lot of them that I'm sure I didn't need.

Is there an app that will analyze your .esp file & list or create the file structures to include the textures your mod uses? Meshes were easy, but textures gave me headaches last time, & I'd like to get it right for the next update to my mod.

Edited by ToppDog

Use the TESVEDIT Asset Manager to pack all of ur resources for u. It tracks all the used meshes, textures, scripts, and packs them in a folder for u. Thou be careful, as it misses script fragments, and some scripts here and there, and it has the tendency to over include stuff.

So for example, if u created a new race, based off the skeever race, the script will include any loose skeever skeleton and mesh in ur folders eventhough they're not required. Now the cool thing is Asset manager also comes with a "check for missing assets" option.
Once u delete all the files u think are unnecessary, u can use that feature to make sure it's all there.

Not Sure if this will help, but I use it all the time: In CK File drop down, high light the .esp that you want to exam, click "details" at bottom, click header "type" , scroll down to the "TXST" entries. These will be all the Textures the mod uses and has entries for in the CR object window under miscellaneous, under "textureset". Texturesets are attached to the .nifs. I.E. armor addons