Copy a Race bonus to another existing race/character?

spotopolis

Is there an existing mod or way that would allow me to equip my character with another classes bonuses and not lose the bonus and abilities of what it already has by default? There is a character model and skin that I have setup that I like, but another race I have downloaded has the bonuses/abilities that I would like to use. Is there any way to get the best of both worlds? I'm not really sure what I would search for with minimum search terms to actually get results. I figured asking the forum would be the best way to get an answer.

If you mean the skill bonuses from each race (Like +10 to One Handed or the like) you can just use console commands to increase your character's skills to match those. If you mean racial powers or abilities (Like Berserker power from orcs or poison resistance from Wood Elves), you could either use CK to copy those from the original race to your character's race, or manually add them to your character via console commands.

Say you want to add the poison resistance ability I mentioned before to a Nord character. You can either use CK to create a mod that adds that ability to the NordRace as a whole, or you can type "player.addspell aa025" in the console without quotes. (That ID corresponds to that certain ability, you would have to find out the ID from the racial ability you want to add).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Vic88

If you mean the skill bonuses from each race (Like +10 to One Handed or the like) you can just use console commands to increase your character's skills to match those. If you mean racial powers or abilities (Like Berserker power from orcs or poison resistance from Wood Elves), you could either use CK to copy those from the original race to your character's race, or manually add them to your character via console commands.

Say you want to add the poison resistance ability I mentioned before to a Nord character. You can either use CK to create a mod that adds that ability to the NordRace as a whole, or you can type "player.addspell aa025" in the console without quotes. (That ID corresponds to that certain ability, you would have to find out the ID from the racial ability you want to add).

Hope this helps.

I have been trying to duplicate the racial ability using the CK, but I cant quite get it to work. I haven't found any YT videos or tutorials explaining it. Closest I have found is how to make a new spell. I have the ability, magic effect, and perk setup in the CK the way I want it, and It even shows up under my character in game as an active racial ability, but its not actually doing anything. Im not sure what Im missing. Ive been at it for a few days now, changing 1 item, saving, testing, rinse & repeat. Even tried a new character to see if that was the issue, and still not getting the perks even though they show up in the race power menu.

Hope this helps.

I have been trying to duplicate the racial ability using the CK, but I cant quite get it to work. I haven't found any YT videos or tutorials explaining it. Closest I have found is how to make a new spell. I have the ability, magic effect, and perk setup in the CK the way I want it, and It even shows up under my character in game as an active racial ability, but its not actually doing anything. Im not sure what Im missing. Ive been at it for a few days now, changing 1 item, saving, testing, rinse & repeat. Even tried a new character to see if that was the issue, and still not getting the perks even though they show up in the race power menu.

Well, there are many reasons for it not to work. Some race mods have special abilities that can't be achieved using the base game's spells/abilities system and use scripts and perks and the like. Maybe that's the reason you can't get it to work (The spell does nothing but apply a script effect and is the actual script that does things, for example). Anyway, nothing can be done without more information, so if you could post what race do you want to copy the abilities from, I may be able to help you with it or even make a plugin with the ability so you just have to open it and copy it to the race you want.

By the way, It's just my personal opinion, but I would recommend using TES5EDIT for mod creating/editing outside of NPC creation and such. I find the interface much more clear and simple and it is faster to organize everything and detect potential errors, and it also works way better than the CK (Loads in seconds with no errors rather than in minutes and full of them as CK does, at least in my case).

I appreciate the help. This is the first thing I have used or even opened the CK for. I have used TES5Edit to clean up mods and use LOOT to sort the LO. What I am trying to achieve is taking the Demonic Race from the Workshop and use the 5x faster exp, 6x item enchant, etc. on the Obsccuri race. As far as I can tell it is not using a script. Its just value modifications. I couldn't find a way to just export and copy over what I wanted between the .esp files, so I screen shotted every reference I could find linking the racial abilities the Demon had (abilities, perks, and magic effect) and recreated them in the Obsccuri Race. The Demon race is kind of a mess though because the creator used gibberish for the Ref IDs and ability names, so they were a pain to track down. I could only find those 3 locations referencing the ability. The way I see it so far is you have the "Perk" section that actually contains all of the value mods. Then you have the "Magic Effect" that tells the game what it looks like in game like in the menu and what the description is, and then the "Ability" section that links them together and tells the game that its an ability that is a constant self casting perk.

I can provide screenshots of what I have done if that helps. I would like to get to the point where I could do this on my own. So if you would be willing to help me get to that point instead of creating a mod for me that would be great. Once I got into it, it seemed pretty simple, Im just not sure what Im missing.

Edited by spotopolis

Okay, I have taken a look at the mod. I'll make it clear just so everybody can get how it works. I checked in TES5EDIT, so the CK interface may display it a different way, but this is what happens in the end.

The abilities work this way: there is a spell ("Demon Abilities") set similarly to vanilla race abilities, with several Magic Effects applied. The Magic Effect that you want: instead of, for example, increasing the Magicka Actor Value like Skyrim does with High Elves to increase their magicka, has only a dummy effect of increasing health by 0 (So it doesn't effect health ingame. i think it's done this way because the game requires Magic Effects to have a direct effect, even if you only use them as intermediate steps for the setup), and also applies a perk. Now, THAT is the thing you want, because all the EXP multipliers and such are applied through the Perk.

So, to sum up: RACE calls for "Demon Abilities" Spell ----> "Demon Abilities" Spell calls for "Demon Abilities" Magic Effect (among others) -----> "Demon Abilities" Magic Effect applies a placeholder effect to health AND calls for the Perk ----------> The Perk apllies the actual bonuses.

In order to add those to the other race, you have two ways: first one is copying the perk and recreating the same structure I wrote above (but in a cleaner way than the original) so it automatically adds the perk to the members of the race. This is the most complex one, but it will have the best result. Second option is copying only the perk, giving it a meaningfull ingame name (Such as "Custom Race Bonuses"), and using the ingame console to manually add them to your character. Ths one is easier but has to be done everytime you create a new charater.

You can try the second method to see if the standalone perk does work (It should, but who knows), and if it does, you can try the first one from there.

Hope this is of help.

Edited by Vic88

I took screenshots of what I have in the CK. As I mentioned before, The description of the ability under "Active Effects" shows up in game, but Im not actually getting any of the perks. I thought I have copied everything I needed. Do you see something in this album that I have missed?

EDIT: FYI I tried using the Perk's Form ID in game to see If I could even add it via console.

player.addspell 0200df9d 
item "0200DF9D" not found for parameter spell.

player.addperk 0200df9d 
item "0200DF9D" not found for parameter perk.
Edited by spotopolis

I took screenshots of what I have in the CK. As I mentioned before, The description of the ability under "Active Effects" shows up in game, but Im not actually getting any of the perks. I thought I have copied everything I needed. Do you see something in this album that I have missed?

EDIT: FYI I tried using the Perk's Form ID in game to see If I could even add it via console.

player.addspell 0200df9d 
item "0200DF9D" not found for parameter spell.

player.addperk 0200df9d 
item "0200DF9D" not found for parameter perk.

Well, as I said before, my knoledge of the way the CK works is limited, but everything seems to be fine. I don't know why would it fail to work. Maybe someone with more CK experience can check it and find the mistake. Sorry about that.

What I can help you with is with adding the perk. i don't know where have you gotten that FormID, but it is fails because of the "02" at the beginning. The only way for a mod to have its ID's starting with 02 is to be the second plugin loaded apart from Skyrim.esm (So it would be Skyrim.esm plus Update.esm (01) and you mod (02) , I guess). That's fine if you're working with the CK beacuse it only loads your plugin's masters unless you manually select others, but in the game chances are you have more plugins activated, so the index will be different.

The best way to get the right one is to type in the console: help "Demon Perks" (With the quotes). The game will give you a PERK entry as a result, and its ID (xx00DF9D, with the xx depending on your load order and number of plugins loaded) is the one you have to use to add the perk. Then check if it actually works as intended, and if it does, it would be a matter of checking where's the error in the Spell and/or Magic Effect. If it doesn't, then the perk may actually be added by the Magic Effect and it's the actual perk that fails.

I see. Ill try that. I got the number from the Form ID in the CK. If you look at the first img I used the number that was listed next to "aDemon Perks" I thought that was the number I needed. But I will try what you have mentioned. Thank you for the help. I will update the post if I get it sorted out.