Failed to Initialize Renderer

jbearden91

I updated my Nvidia drivers to version 358.50 yesterday, but this only started happening after several launches. Every time I do a complete shutdown and boot or restart of my computer, the Skyrim launcher and launching through SKSE work fine. Every second and subsequent time I launch the game through either of those, I get a "Failed to initialize renderer" error. There is no "Your display doesn't support the selected resolution" or "Unknown error" after it, just "Failed to initialize renderer". The only way to play the game is to reboot my computer evey time I exit the game. I've done a complete uninstall (deleting local files through steam and manually deleting the steamapps/common/skyrim file as well as my documents/mygames/skyrim file) and reinstall and I still get the same problem.

If it helps, the first time I launch the launcher, I can go into the Options menu and change everything just fine, but the next time after playing and every time after that (without restarting my computer), I cannot change my Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering options to anything other than "Off (best performance)". The other settings (x2, x4, etc.) do not appear in the drop-down list.

Any help at all would be appreciated! It's not a game-breaking problem, but I'd really rather not have to restart my computer every time I want to play.

Laptop- Lenovo Y70

CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Free space: 320 GB/889 GB

10/8/2015__________

Problem solved. It was a driver problem. Rolling back to previous Nvidia driver solved the issue.

Edited by jbearden91

• 1 month later...

I have this exact same issue on a Lenovo Y50. And it is happening with not just Skyrim, but with every game. Any help will be much appreciated.

I also have the Y50, and I ran into the exact same problem after installing the recent Windows 10 update. I resolved this issue by just reverting back to the earlier build of windows (reverting back to pre-update build).