• 30 GB free HDD space
  • NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
Recommended
  • Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
  • Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 30 GB free HDD space
  • NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

So, I'm curious what people think of this. Personally, my desktop exceeds minimum requirements but isn't nearly as beefy as the "recommended" system, which I personally think is ridiculous. Why is the recommended system a $300 CPU paired with a $500 graphics card? This game is designed to run on consoles, right? The Witcher 3 also had similarly inflated specs, but my subpar laptop has no problem running it on low-medium settings (and it still looks great.) The game also doesn't seem to be well optimized for AMD (e.g.,a Radeon 7870 is considerably more powerful than a NVidia GTX 550Ti.) This concerns me for my laptop, which has a Radeon 8950M.

So, will you be upgrading your system for Fallout 4? Are you below min spec, but you're going to try it anyway to see if plays OK? Do you think the graphics seen in the trailers are representative of FO4 on a console or the "recommended" system?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm between minimum and recommended. My CPU exceeds minimum (just) but I'm running the minimum graphics card. I'll be able to play, but it's going to be a few years before the components that are worth upgrading to are cheap enough for me to get it running at ultra. I'm going to need to do a complete rebuild with a new motherboard, CPU, and GPU in one hit which is going to be £600+. I just don't have that kind of cash available at the moment because I'm saving up for a motorbike.

I wouldn't panic and spend a bunch of money on upgrades just yet. The last few Beth games got hammered for understating the requirements before they were released. It's possible that this time they are overstating a bit to avoid the backlash they got for understating previously.

Th biggest issue I can see is not the graphics or processor requirements, it's the fact that it "requires" a 64bit OS. That right there is going to alienate 3/4 of their player base, as many people either don't want to, don't know how to, or can't afford to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit.

I myself have a Dual Boot setup, one with 32bit Windows and one with 64, but the vast majority of the time I run the 32bit version, because there are still some programs that only work on a 32 bit platform, and their is no easy way to migrate from 32 to 64.