Who's a pretty boy then? Man cuts off his ears to look like a parrot

kvnchrist

The idea I'm getting at is these people are pushing themselves further away from society instead of toward it. Should people such as this get a mental exam before getting these proceedures? Are the cosmetic seurgeons taking advatage of these people?

In some of these cases, it isn't being done by reputable surgeons who have a regular practice. There are doctors out there who have either lost their license, never got one to start with, or who are operating more "private" services. These kinds of people have always existed, and probably will always continue to exist as long as there are people to cut up. These are not the same sort of doctors who are bothered by things like ethics or the mental state of the person they're operating on.

This is nothing new. There have always been people looking to have their body altered, either because of their own peculiarities, because they like to shock people and stand out, or because they are just bored with normality. The only difference is that now it is safer, more affordable, and there are more people around to report on it. As a result, more people are doing unusual things to themselves, and more visible things that would have previously gotten them shunned from society.

And with anything else, when you have media reporting on these things, or movies like Tusk where extreme cosmetic surgery is features, the idea of doing it spreads and takes root. Mental screenings won't change anything, the people doing these sorts of things aren't crazy and are arguably more mentally stable than most the people you see on the street. Nobody wakes up one morning and suddenly has the notion to chop off their ears, or have their face remodeled to be more cat-like. In most every case it is one change after another over a period of several years. These changes also aren't cheap. Large full color tattoos need to be done over several sessions, costing a few hundred dollars each time. Having several metal implants or other additions are also very expensive and often need to be done over a fairly long period of time. Meanwhile, the nature of these alterations is usually such that holding or obtaining a typical job (the sorts of work that more than 95% of the population does) would probably be impossible. True to being nonconformist in their approaches to their appearance, they also work nonconformist jobs, and usually have enough money that they can spend on actualizing their desires without risking homelessness.

Really, most these people have money, have a thought out and determined mindset, weren't interested in being part of society to begin with, and as a result, are a very very small portion of the total population. Beyond that, as long as they aren't creating problems for society, aren't using up public resources, it isn't a question of morality. It becomes a question of personal liberty.

I agree with Vagrant... mostly.

People from every culture have modified their bodies over the centuries.

Tattoos have been around for more than 10,000 years and have been found on mummies.

Piercings of nose, lip, ears and other body parts have been practiced for more than 4000 years.

Implanting something under the skin and scarring have been around for hundreds of years.

And are not, dieting, body building, going to a tanning salon, getting false teeth, etc. forms of body modification? And considering the amount of plastic surgery that takes place in the world, body modification is pretty commonplace, so I'm not sure what makes this individual unusual, other than the intolerance he will face from those who put down anyone or anything that doesn't meet their standard of "normal".

The plastic surgeon quoted in the story is a prime example. He doesn't seem to even know what ethics or morals are, but he's ready to judge this individual based upon his ideals.

It sounds to me that this guy is pretty well adjusted; knows what he wants and is happy with the way he looks. I figure that's a heck of a lot better than if he was confused and depressed because he can't look the way he wants.

• 4 weeks later...

Freedom of expression.

Imagine you decided you wanted horns ptruding from your skull one day. You'd be pissed if you weren't "allowed" to do that, wouldn't you? This guy wanted something like parrots on his skulll...who cares? Didn't hurt anyone in doing. He paid for it. I'm sure Americans are not the only ones who dem freedom of expression as an inalienable right.

Since it is likely that you won't see that guy more than the one time or six, depending on how many times you click dat link I suppose, What's it matter what he thinks looks cool?

Everyone wants to be themselves, and in current times, this is a bumpy road at best. Since everyone sees what you do, post, reply to.

I say hoorah to those that can embrace what they think they are. We all search endlessly for our individuality anyway, through a proxy like the internet.

If those individualities become a nuisance, pretty sure they did it on their own. Blaming their visage is moot. Behavior did it, yes? No?

A friend of mine has his tongue split and recently had it split further back. This is how he wanted to be, and fair play to him for going through with it. Another friend has wishes to become extremely cosmetic and adores Amanda Lapore who herself is pretty much a living plastic doll. To me it's people wanting to be how they imagine themselves to look, however I also believe that with severe cosmetic surgery which has no way of return (such as this) it should of really been thought about, with a psychiatric test first.

"Eccentric Mr Richards has given his severed ears to a friend who "will appreciate them"

Because he hadn't heard from him?

I AM SCREAMING OMG

• 1 month later...