Paradox of tolerance

kvnchrist

Well, obviously, if you don't like something, that makes you bigoted, or racist, or intolerant, or some other negative descriptor.......

For example, a trans guy, (guy that 'identifies' as female, is being 'discriminated against', because school authorities wouldn't let him use the girls locker room...... So, he goes to court, and gets an order for the school to let him use the women's facilities.... But, wait, what about all the real girls in the locker room, what about THEIR rights not to have a physically male person in the locker room with them? This is a case of the rights of the one seem to outweigh the rights of the many, and I have SERIOUS concerns about that.....

I'm curious to see how trans rights are going to play out when trans-women start collecting all of the Olympic women's records.

Didn't something like this already come up once in the not so distant past?? A 'female' athlete was discovered to have male parts??

Lol..I'm old enough to remember the East German Women's Olympic competitors.... :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see how trans rights are going to play out when trans-women start collecting all of the Olympic women's records.

Didn't something like this already come up once in the not so distant past?? A 'female' athlete was discovered to have male parts??

Lol..I'm old enough to remember the East German Women's Olympic competitors.... :rolleyes:

Yeah.... Me too. :D

This is a case of the rights of the one seem to outweigh the rights of the many, and I have SERIOUS concerns about that.....

Not really? First, in most cases nobody, or just one person, cares or even knows that a transgender person is using the facilities with them. So this is often 1 vs. 0 or 1 vs. 1.
But let's say it's 1 vs. 2, or even 1 vs. 10 -- so what? Different rights have different weights. The one person ought to be able to change, or use the bathroom, without being harassed or beaten. That right outweighs others' being uncomfortable. Remember, not too long ago those same people would've been discomforted by a black person being there, or a disabled person, or a lesbian or gay person.
As a society, we've decided this before: bigots' comfort means nothing.
Also consider the flip side: if you force trans women to use men's facilities, you're also forcing trans men to use women's. Consider how ridiculous this would be:
http://i.imgur.com/OMdkxAG.jpg

This is a case of the rights of the one seem to outweigh the rights of the many, and I have SERIOUS concerns about that.....

Not really? First, in most cases nobody, or just one person, cares or even knows that a transgender person is using the facilities with them. So this is often 1 vs. 0 or 1 vs. 1.
But let's say it's 1 vs. 2, or even 1 vs. 10 -- so what? Different rights have different weights. The one person ought to be able to change, or use the bathroom, without being harassed or beaten. That right outweighs others' being uncomfortable. Remember, not too long ago those same people would've been discomforted by a black person being there, or a disabled person, or a lesbian or gay person.
As a society, we've decided this before: bigots' comfort means nothing.
Also consider the flip side: if you force trans women to use men's facilities, you're also forcing trans men to use women's. Consider how ridiculous this would be:
http://i.imgur.com/OMdkxAG.jpg

No. I do not agree. And posting a pic of a guy in the ladies room doesn't do anything for your argument. (show me some documentation that flatly states that person was born female.)

And it isn't just little numbers either. Sure, there may only be one or two people in the john at the same time, but, as a parent, I don't want to be worried about some guy pretending to be a girl walking in on my daughter in the restroom. And I am not alone in that. Not to mention the girls themselves.

The entire LGBT community makes up about 3% of the population, I am thinkin' that three percent demanding rights that the 97% aren't comfy with, is just WAY over the top.

If you have the twig and berries, use the mens room. Don't care what your birth certificate says. If you don't have 'em, use the ladies room, again, regardless of what the birth certificate says.

show me some documentation that flatly states that person was born female

He does have a website which states that he's transgender. And there's no reason not to believe him - I've seen what effects HRT can have for trans men. It's nearly the same as if they had undergone male puberty to begin with.

as a parent

Oh, stop hiding behind your children. Your bigotry is yours alone.

show me some documentation that flatly states that person was born female

He does have a website which states that he's transgender. And there's no reason not to believe him - I've seen what effects HRT can have for trans men. It's nearly the same as if they had undergone male puberty to begin with.

as a parent

Oh, stop hiding behind your children. Your bigotry is yours alone.

And I am quite proud of my bigotry. If you want to pretend you are something you are not, and take drugs to look like something you are not, that's your business. Please do not inflict it on me, or my kids.

Anecdotal...I am eleven years older than my sister and when growing up she liked being my shadow, hence I would take her along on any excursion that was appropriate for her age. I lost count of how many times I played sentry at the 'ladies' waiting for her. On one occasion a 'lady' with an Adams apple desired entry, to whom I politely informed that though I couldn't care less what gender he/she was, however I would insist that we both wait until my sister emerged. He/She understood that my concerns for my sister's well being trumped any form of compromise negotiation and I had no intention of standing aside. We had a polite though strained several minute conversation...little sis came out..I stepped aside. Bigoted?..maybe, but my overarching imperative was her well being not the feelings of an unknown individual. I suspect that most parents would prefer to shield their children until they have reached an age to comprehend the concepts involved and are least near- adults.