Where are we at with the redesign?

TheTokenGeek

http://s18.postimg.org/yuec519g9/teaser3.jpg

Hey, it's been a while so thought I should better let all you good folks know what's happening in regards to our site redesign.

We started off with all of the survey results which I covered in a previous post. These turned up a lot of interesting and useful ideas, some pet peeves and lots of suggestions for the future. There was definitely plenty to go through and we thank every single one of the current 26,577 people for all the time and effort that you put into these.

Next up was finding a suitable UX/UI Designer to help with the translation of all this data and begin to think about how people interact with the site. We posted up the role a while back and got a large number of very suitable applicants, I went through each and every one that led me to eventually get a short list that I could liaise with Robin on. Due to the ability of the people in this list we needed some way of seeing their vision so we asked for them to produce a quick sketch of how they could see the front page of the Nexus. We once again got some incredible results, but one person stood out due to the detail that they put into their submission - that person is Phill Collins.

Phill has joined us on a contract basis to help shape the Nexus. His role is to make things more modern, more intuitive, more powerful and he brought with him a ton of experience to do exactly that.

He has hit the ground running and has bombarded both Robin and I with a ton of questions, ideas and suggestions. Phill took it upon himself to complete the unenviable task of reading through all of the survey results and once he’d done that he went over some of the different pages within the site (roughly 36 of them) with a fine tooth comb and made several hundred comments asking for reasons things had been done a certain way and offering advice left, right and centre.

To say this is the beginning of an exciting time is (to me anyway) an understatement.

So what’s next I hear you ask?

Well we’re still in the discovery and concept part of a UCD, this means that we are working out how everyone uses the site, what they use it for and how they navigate. With the amount of users that we have and the possible navigation flows this is a fairly long procedure as people use the site for all manner of reasons. For some it is primarily a social community and their first port of call is the forums, whereas for others they come on to find the latest mods, others may be here to look at images or videos and some may be here to try and find some golden nugget of a mod buried deep down within the site. We are looking at process flows to see how we can bring all of this to the surface with just a few clicks.

We need to look at the site from all angles and from all eyes, so we create what are known as personas. Imagine the character creation section of Skyrim and all the various possibilities of person you can choose, each one having a very different range of skills and abilities, history and beliefs. Well, there you have it! We create ‘people’ from different ages, backgrounds, livelihoods etc. and with that we begin to see what they use the site for. We then look at the site from this users perspective, making comments and approaching each page with a different mentality. This will hopefully allow us to see the site differently and approach pages for various reasons.

Competitors are another major part of the redesign. We need to look at lots of other gaming sites and see what we think they are doing right and where they too could be improved. You can learn a lot from other sites and I find myself navigating other sites purely to see how it all fits together. Within the survey, one of the questions was “Please enter one of your favourite websites in terms of look and functionality”, this has proven useful to see where people believe a good user experience and interface lies.

So we’re onto wireframes and design, which is where we would like to begin thinking about introducing our focus group. The idea being that these people will be the first to see the wireframes, mockups and process flows etc for the site and offer feedback. I would like people who are able to offer constructive criticism and who want to shape the face of the Nexus. edit: 28 Oct 15 -  The focus group is now full!. I’m going to limit this to 25 people at first - this might not sound like a lot, but when you need to go through all the submitted comments it certainly is time consuming. This may or may not expand in the future but for now it will be a random pick from the emails I receive.

Cheers all

http://s16.postimg.org/aitykfgyp/signature_xsmall_yellow.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and some may be here to try and find some golden nugget of a mod buried deep down within the site.

This is actual quite fun once in a while.

Choosing top mods, all times and then categories and just read a few that interest you.

In response to post #29703340.

disi30 wrote:
...and some may be here to try and find some golden nugget of a mod buried deep down within the site.

This is actual quite fun once in a while.
Choosing top mods, all times and then categories and just read a few that interest you.

I found a good companion by ordering the category by least endorsements first, after a few pages of garbage some interesting ones came up.

I'm excited and can't wait to see what you guys come up with, for me this site is great for mods, for having the image share to show the wonderful mod authors how we use their mods and I think the image share is a a great place for us mod users to showcase the great mods hosted on this site... plus the feeling of community I find here.

Thanks heaps you guys and you especially Robin

In response to post #29703180. #29703420 is also a reply to the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: And Paul wasn't joking about reading all the surveys. He even printed them all out, highlighted relevant parts, and left the dossier at my house: http://imgur.com/a/EXYIj
Elianora wrote: Dedication :thumbsup:

Is there a non imgur version?
I just can't open up anything from imgur :)