Serious help needed here

themaximum9901

Hey guys. Before I say anything, this is my first post to the New Vegas forums so I just want to thank the awesome people who take the time to make these awesome mods and provide them to us for free.

I've been modding skyrim for a couple years now and I tried playing New Vegas with mods about a year ago but it seemed like I couldn't install 2 mods of any kind without getting freezes and crashes. I decided to give this another go after having a great deal of success modding Fallout 3 using FOMM. Here's the issue I really need help with.

Most of the mods I install for New Vegas just flat out don't work. It's not that they cause crashes or freezing, (I get the "Out of memory" error sometimes but I used to get that without mods). It's that the game acts as though I never installed them.

Examples:

-NMC textures are great but only affect about half the world. The buildings look great but the roads and a lot of terrain textures are still vanilla.

-Not one single sound mod works besides Music Pack (which is a great music mod). I've downloaded gunshot sounds, ambient sounds, footstep sounds... none of it works. They install, but the game still has all the vanilla sound effects.

I used NMM at first, because that's what I've used for Skyrim all this time without a single problem, but when that didn't work, I spent hours watching tutorials on how to use FOMM properly. I downloaded every single mod manually, made my folders, extracted everything the way I "should", to no avail. Admittedly I enjoy the better file organization and what not, but that doesn't change the fact that 80% of my mods act like they never got installed. (again, this was the case with both NMM and FOMM).

My only thought is maybe the load order isn't what it should be, but hardly any mods make any mention of where they should be on the load order regarding other mods, so I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to tweaking that. If you need screenshots of my mods list I can do that if it would help.

Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Here's a screen of my mods list. Red X means I confirmed the mod does not work even though it's installed. Green check means confirmed works. Question mark means either I'm not sure if its working because it's too subtle of a mod, or I haven't reached a point in gameplay to confirm it yet.

http://i.imgur.com/8gnlE68.jpg

are you using the 4GB patch Launcher? Download that and place it into the game's main directory, if you have NVSE it'll run that with it. you are using more than the 2 GB limit that was Engine based, Obsidian wanted to patch that part but it was too deep in the code to fix it, sooo modders made the 4GB Patch that runs the game from out side to take in 4GBs of Vram, this may fix your "Out of Memory" problem but if you still get crashes, try asking about load orders on this form after that Error doesnt come up

Edit: oh if you dont have a GPU (Graphics Card) thats not more than 2GB...it wouldnt matter

Edited by jdavies345

i really dont know im a newbie anyhow it seems like most of your trouble is texture related so you might want to give a shot to the following

make sure you have installed properly http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55061/?

if you are using an enb make a shortcut and set destiny to "C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\fnv4gb.exe" -exe FalloutNV.exe -laaexe FalloutNV4GB.exe -SteamAppId 22380 "be carefull last number is cuz my game version is spanish search for apropiate number in youur case"

also make sure you have done the archive invalidation invalidated!!

theres 2 ways to do this

the easy way

open up NMM (theres a way to do with fom but idk how) so open up NMM and go to tools section , there you will see archive invallidation with a tick you will click that and it will ask you if you want to deactivate archive invalidation click yes (if you a acces denied message read below) then close nmm and open it up again go to tools again and active archive invallidation again . voila done

acces denied issue : this is fixed very easy just go document>my games>fallout new vegas there right click fallout.ini and make sure READ ONLY is unchecked nmm should be able to write there.

to make sure its working properly go to fallout.ini there should be 2 lines added there

[Archive]
SInvalidationFile=
iRetainFilenameOffsetTable=1
iRetainFilenameStringTable=1
iRetainDirectoryStringTable=1
bCheckRuntimeCollisions=0
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
bUseArchives=1
SArchiveList=Fallout - AI!.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa
red ones is the ones should have a change
also make sure you have
bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1 it can be found under general tab either on top of bPreCullActors=1 or under sLanguage=SPANISH
if u cant see it simply add it
for the very last make sure u have on you data folder a file called Fallout AI!!.bsa or something like that
if this method doesnt work do a manual installation with http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/944/?
its for fallout 3 but it works just download manual installation
you just have to drop the bsa on data folder , the read me tell u to search for sarchivelist folder but thats wrong just drop it were all ur esp and esm are
then follow the readme to configure ur inis
also for the stuttering and freezing if you have any sort of enb make sure you have installed your enb properly and that you have configure the enblocal
under memory section
[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=3926
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false
this is the formula
VideoMemorySizeMb

This sets the total memory that will be used for the ENBoost dynamic memory allocation. All available VRAM, except for the amount set with ReservedMemorySizeMb, will be used first, and if VideoMemorySizeMb is set to a value higher than total VRAM of the user's videocard, then ENBoost will use system RAM, if necessary, by running instances of enbhost.exe. 32-bit systems, and 64-bit systems with <8 GB of system RAM, should set this equal to (Dedicated Video Memory +System RAM) − 2048. 64-bit systems with ≥8 GB of system RAM should set this equal to (Total Available Graphics Memory − [170 (for Win7) or 350 (for Win8+)]). When calculating the value, it is not necessary to subtract the value ofReservedMemorySizeMb, because ENBoost already takes it into consideration. If AutodetectVideoMemorySize is enabled below, this parameter is ignored. All values are in megabytes.

source http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

Edited by nasomaniac

Thanks guys. I do have the 4gb patch and archive invalidation. I don't really take much issue with the out of memory crash 'cause it hardly ever happens. I'm more concerned with the fact that so many of the mods I have installed don't show in game whether I use FOMM or NMM. I'm considering trying Mod Organizer.

Do you guys use MO? Thoughts on it?

honestly i use NMM and theres no mod not working my issues i have atm comes more into install order and mods fighting for files but that is more into the mods compatibility than the mod utility i use, maybe ur issue is into something like some sort of compatibility patch for a mod or an esm /esp shouldnt be ticked

what i would try if i was you is turn my fallout to vanilla then install mod 1 by 1 and test em + each time u install a mod go to the site and re read instruccions to make sure non patch or anything is missing also read the read me files.

also keep in mind ncm doesnt cover some sort of textures u might want to get additional mods such as mgs flora overhauls etc

Edited by nasomaniac

Okay so I managed to fix the problem. I went to NMC's posts to see if anyone else was having an issue specifically with the roads because that was the most noticeable. Found a link to this Archive Invalidation generator:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52402/?

Running it updates Archive Invalidation for every mod you have installed. I ran it and when I loaded up NV... POW! All my fancy textures were finally there.

PROBLEM THOUGH

This is unrelated to the texture issue, but I've been getting instances of the game freezing during load screens now more than ever. It used to be maybe once every other time I played, but now I find myself having to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to kill the game about every 5th time the game has to load something. Doesn't matter if it's fast travel, or just going in and out of buildings. The loading wheel just stops and I have to kill the game.

I have the popular Anti Crash mod installed but that doesn't seem to be making a difference. My only guess is that maybe it has to do with Auto Saves, I remember having to install a mod for FO3 that fixed an issue with auto saving causing problems, but I can't find a mod like that for NV so I just assumed it wasn't an issue.

Thoughts?

ok so first of all you need this http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/?

this is new vegas stutter remover and it goes hand by hand with fnv4gb , it will even let you close fallout new vegas without having to open the task manager (cntrl+alt+spr)

anyhow thats not the major utility it surely will boost your fps a lil bit and will prevent a lot of freezing issues this mod is a MUST if you are installing 2k above textures.

make sure you properly read the description and properly configure it more if you have an enb otherwise it will not work properly.

also dont think this will totally remove every single issue you have it surely will help dramatically but from what you are saying is probably that your pc is not up to the textures you are trying to use try to use smaller size textures and lower your enb setting.

if you have an enb read a lot of tutorials because they drain a lot of fps, they are really really fps demanding so make sure your pc can deal with it and that the enb is properly configured to match your specs , dont try to aim to the most baddass graphics try to be friendly with your pc

you always got to tweak things when using an enb people, presets are made with diferent specs than yours so make sure of it

if not using enb try using a performance friendly textures, dont use 4k textures if you dont have a monster pc such as nvidia gtx 990 + an intel core process and a good amount of ram and of course not les important but an ssd and not a hard drive , 4k textures are really demanding as well so much that it will freeze or make your game not respond while loading em if you dont have an apropiate pc.

something else that could cause this sort of issues is if you are using some sort of heavy scripting mods.

i would suggest you to use nmc small (wich is normal texture size) and maybe you can add poco bueno on top of em, if you post your pc gear will be easier to tell you wich textures mods could be friendly to your pc and your game to be enjoyable

Edited by nasomaniac