Computer Losing Internet Access

Hello, I got my home internet set up the other day and my desktop is being weird about it because the internet access keeps getting lost. It isn't anything to do with router because the laptop and phone can pick up the wifi just fine even while the desktop loses it.

It's the http://i.stack.imgur.com/hu6hZ.png icon and one time the desktop wouldn't find any wireless connections at all despite there being loads in the area, restarting the computer normally fixes the problem but this needs fixing regardless.

OK it keeps happening but I can repair it temporarily through the standard diagnostics, to get this result

http://it2.imgtown.net/img/zbypo7267vqzojeq4egjacgufth5ihsaqealc5btli/wire.jpg

It seems to keep it going for a while sometimes around 24hrs but not an ideal fix, nothing can be broken surely because it wouldn't connect wireless at all would it? Any advice how to prevent this happening again?

It may be the location of your wireless router. Something like a microwave or other appliance between the router and computer can cause drop outs also.

There are several android apps that can be run on your phone that shows signal strength in real time and can be used to map your wireless. The one I have used is called WiFi Analyzer. I think there versions for iphone & pc also. But a phone makes a very compact piece of test equipment.

I see several apps on the GooglePlay store with nearly the same name, the one I use is FREE and is by farproc

Try moving the router around, just a few inches can make a difference. Turn it sideways stand it on its side or even upside down to see if anything helps. If it has external antennas, try changing their orientation. if 2 antenna , one horizontal and one vertical has given me good results.

Using a parabolic reflector behind the router to direct the signal may also help. Here is a link. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/boost-your-wifi-signal-with-pr-140195

Another trick is to get another wifi router and use it as a repeater, just about any cheap router will work as long as it has the proper frequencies. http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range-boosting-wi-fi-repeater

Another possible solution is using a power-line adapter: http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

My sister has the same problem. Her desk is about 10 feet from the router, with 2 walls and a bathroom between, Her signal is very bad there, but on the other side of the house, about 50 feet away with a single wall she gets a strong signal. I used an old wifi router I had in my junk box to fix her problem.

I've had nothing but trouble with wireless for desktops, I don't know why.

I tried a wireless dongle & needed to restart several times each day till I replaced it with a cable. That's why I recommend using a wired connection for your desktop if at all possible.

BTW: the wire.jpg link's expired.

Hmm well as it turns out it isn't just the wireless, hooked up the ethernet and it's happening again, or giving serious lag.

I am trying to play SWTOR but about 10-20 mins in it freezes with the lag climbing constantly without quitting until I CAD out, despite my connection showing 100mbps. I also notice that a few sites are struggling to load when im browsing, having to refresh a few times.

I had a google and saw stuff about pings but that's too complicated for me to wrap my head around, i'm thinking something is knackered in my system.

Before calling for a tech to come out try resetting the modem and router - they can either be separate devices or combined into one. Unplug them from the wall and leave them unplugged for at least 30 seconds. Then plug them back in. It will take a few minutes before they complete their reboot process and start working again. If you call, most ISPs will tell you to do that before they will do anything anyway. And it does fix things sometimes.

I did suspect the router, tried that, didn't help. Plus my phone gets a perfect signal with no delays.

So far I seem to only get cut from the internet when im on an MMO or downloading something, if it's idle there hasn't been an issue. I'm even now having difficulty loading pages or making these posts, which points to that ping business so I downloaded PingPlotter but not sure how to use it :confused:

The thing is on the first day getting the broadband installed I was online all day without a single problem including online gaming, then, because the desktop had no internet connection for about a year, I had to wait for 75 mandatory updates and I don't have a restore point to go back to. Could that be a factor? Can I undo changes that might negatively affect my system?

Edited by Ironman5000

You don't happen to have Killer Network Manager by any chance? It has history of doing stuff like that.

Do you have a second Lan Connection on your mobo you can use?

You don't happen to have Killer Network Manager by any chance? It has history of doing stuff like that.

Do you have a second Lan Connection on your mobo you can use?

No don't have any extra programs to do with networking.

I have the line going through a BT Openreach box with a second lan, connected to a Plusnet router, then to the PC which has the one port. The BT box's other lan is cover saying "not in use" so is it disabled or should I try it?

I didn't want to mess around with it in case I mess it up further :ohdear:

I was asking about a second lan on your PC as some mobos ship with 2 potential connections & the other one might work better. I can't be certain, as I don't use BT, but from what I know the Lan2 port on a BT Openreach box is either disabled or only for accessing the modem itself, depending on your package. Either way I wouldn't mess with the BT box, as they can be complete iceholes about their equipment.

You could try TCP Optimiser. It's free & can fix issues if they're caused by your PCs settings.