MCM and SkyUI No Longer Working

ZetaTheCoyote

I've been having some trouble with crashing every so often but it wasn't as killer of a problem as the one I've most recently come across. Anyways, I had a few saves, all in Mzulft, and while I'm re-calibrating the Oculory, I try to save, and the game crashes. Typical from time to time, so I'm not worried, and I go back in to load up the most recent save. But now, it's corrupted and won't load. So I try all the other saves, they're all corrupted too. And thus begins a frantic journey to regain my saves, and only after removing a handful of mods did it go back to normal and playable condition. But it doesn't end there.

Now my SkyUI is acting extremely strange. The MCM refuses to show any of my mods, and as such, I can't reconfigure SkyUI to the settings I had before this unfortunate event. Not only that, but there's about a three or four second lag of the interface trying to open each time I pull up the inventory menu, magic menu, quests, menu, or skills menu.

Guys, I really need some suggestions here as to how to get my game back into the condition it was in before all this trouble. In essence, I need SkyUI to function properly again by not lagging, and I need the MCM to start displaying my mods. I really can't figure out any reason as to why it's happened, and the only thing I can even think of that might have caused it was using Jaxonz Renamer mod to rename a character and several modded-in items. Even after utilizing those, these problems didn't manifest themselves in the saves immediately after the Renamer usage, so I really have no clue as to what triggered all this in the first place.

AND have also discovered that the crashing problem only is resolved whenever I verify the game cache via Steam, saying that "1 file would be recovered". It'll work while I'm in game for one session, no problems loading or saving or traveling, and as soon as I exit out and try to start a new session, the problems start all over. I just don't want to have to verify my game cache every time I want to play without loading problems!

Plenty of suggestions in the first few pages of this thread. Plenty of people just like you. I would suggest to start reading them.

Well after tinkering around with it more and reading some various threads, I've deleted SKSE and disabled SkyUI, that seems to have eliminated the crashing when trying to save, load, travel and fast travel. Although the question remains of how to get SkyUI working properly again so that the MCM displays mods and there is no lag to opening menus?

Pure guess..

Rogue mod or mods with MCM menu is running functions from their MCM Menu script that is hanging MCM which in turns hangs SkyUI.

Example:

I've seen some mods that offer to stop and start a quest (eg: a quest related to the mod) from MCM.

Stop() quest is fine but if Start() is a latent function..

So ithe quest the MCM Mod script is calling to start from a MCM event is hanging and not starting then it hangs MCM event and things stop responding and the SkyUI lags and glitches and same MCM hangs totally.

Other things I've seen is Mods using their MCM Menu script to do looping functions in an MCM event while calling another scripts function that is a tatent function.

basically it can hang the MCM event until the called function returns, if the function doesn't return due to unforseen circumstances then this type of thing hangs MCM and SkyUI.

It's not easy to identify Mods that Do this type of thing.

And once they have it's sometimes just not recoverable if those functions are in scripts that are baked in your save.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

Pure guess..

Rogue mod or mods with MCM menu is running functions from their MCM Menu script that is hanging MCM which in turns hangs SkyUI.

Example:

I've seen some mods that offer to stop and start a quest (eg: a quest related to the mod) from MCM.

Stop() quest is fine but if Start() is a latent function..

So ithe quest the MCM Mod script is calling to start from a MCM event is hanging and not starting then it hangs MCM event and things stop responding and the SkyUI lags and glitches and same MCM hangs totally.

Other things I've seen is Mods using their MCM Menu script to do looping functions in an MCM event while calling another scripts function that is a tatent function.

basically it can hang the MCM event until the called function returns, if the function doesn't return due to unforseen circumstances then this type of thing hangs MCM and SkyUI.

It's not easy to identify Mods that Do this type of thing.

And once they have it's sometimes just not recoverable if those functions are in scripts that are baked in your save.

I've actually tried running the game with all mods deactivated, and it still found ways to crash on loads, saves, and travels. Only after deleting SKSE were those resolved but SkyUI is still funky and not showing any of my mods up for configuration. I'm really at a loss for what to do as to how to get it working correctly again, because this problem totally blindsided me for no apparent reason.

Try on a new save, no mods, just Game + Updates+ SKSE + SkyUI.

To me it sounds like you've got baked data in your saves...

Loading old saves that already had those mods running and then disabling the mods does not remove that data that the mods added to your save.

Once you have the basics add a mod and play..

Rinse lather repeat.

One of the mods your using or have been using is causing SkyUI/MCM to hang.

It may not be initially when the mod is first run, but merely when a certain event in game happens.

You may be having a problem with SkyUI/MCM/SKSE, but the problem is not because of SkyUI/MCM/SKSE.

It will something that is interfering with SkyUI/MCM/SKSE, which really only leaves it to be the mods your using.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

Try on a new save, no mods, just Game + Updates+ SKSE + SkyUI.

To me it sounds like you've got baked data in your saves...

Loading old saves that already had those mods running and then disabling the mods does not remove that data that the mods added to your save.

Once you have the basics add a mod and play..

Rinse lather repeat.

One of the mods your using or have been using is causing SkyUI/MCM to hang.

It may not be initially when the mod is first run, but merely when a certain event in game happens.

You may be having a problem with SkyUI/MCM/SKSE, but the problem is not because of SkyUI/MCM/SKSE.

It will something that is interfering with SkyUI/MCM/SKSE, which really only leaves it to be the mods your using.

I'll try running the game only with SkyUI and no other mods running, then I'll see if the lag in SkyUI is gone. If so then you must be correct, but I can't think of which mod would be at fault for all this.

Edited by ZetaTheCoyote