Focus group full!

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #29902475. #29902530 is also a reply to the same post.

NCRForever wrote: I live on this site and, umm... focus group? I never saw anything about it either.
SolidusEkans wrote: We are in the same boat then.

if you saw this image on the front page for a week
http://s18.postimg.org/yuec519g9/teaser3.jpg
it was in that post

good luck to all those involved, devs and testers alike

Hey Paul,

Knowing how defensive and passionate gamers can be about the IPs they love, I wish you all the best of luck with trying to make everyone happy!.. Or at least the significant majority of them... ;)

I've only been a member for a few years now but I did get the very strong feeling that the most active members tend to consider the Nexus as their own, a platform made by gamers for gamers - very different from Steam for which modding is only a tiny percentage of their commercial activities.

One of the greatest achievements of the Nexus current UX and UI is that it preserved the look and feel of just that: a service created by gamers for gamers, not quite perfect but very efficient, a little bit on the 'retro' side but obviously not business-oriented, centered on contents (modding) rather than trendy graphics design.

The comparison that comes to mind is the Nexus looks and feels a bit like a good mod, always trying to get better while preserving its main purpose and personality, with Robin being the maestro modder. Or somewhat like a Bethesda game, not quite 'next gen graphics' (understatement - for Bethesda I mean), not entirely devoid of bugs and glitches(even bigger understatement), but always attracting growing millions of enthusiastic fans and opening new realms of customization and creativity.

I find it very significant that out of 206 games the Nexus features, the 5 top ones are still all Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls and Fallout series). Which means that only 2.5 % of the featured games generate 86.5 % of the mods - and thus over 85 % of the Nexus current content and traffic!..

In the few years I've been around, I've seen the Nexus more than double its members' number to get close to 10 millions. And undoubtedly millions more to come with the imminent release of Fallout 4.

So I guess the biggest challenge for you and your team will be to enhance this semi-pro, 'made by gamers for gamers' feeling which will attract new modders and new games while keeping the Nexus 100 % 'Lore-friendly' to keep the current members happy.

I really look forward to see what you guys and girls are going to come up with and truly wish that you will make the Nexus an even better and stronger community than it already is!

Cheers!

PS. On a very minor (and personal) side note if I may, I understand the need for you guys to add visuals to your news posts to attract a bit more attention, but they terribly remind me of the types of catch-all images Web or Ad agencies use in their Power-Point presentations. There's nothing catch-all about the Nexus and its members. How about something a little bit more 'we're all about gaming and modding' for your next post?.. ;)

Edited by Hoamaii

In response to post #29902475. #29902530, #29904825 are all replies on the same post.

NCRForever wrote: I live on this site and, umm... focus group? I never saw anything about it either.
Eiries wrote: if you saw this image on the front page for a week
it was in that post

Oh, this? My mistake then.

In response to post #29905930.

Hoamaii wrote: Hey Paul,

Knowing how defensive and passionate gamers can be about the IPs they love, I wish you all the best of luck with trying to make everyone happy!.. Or at least the significant majority of them... ;)

I've only been a member for a few years now but I did get the very strong feeling that the most active members tend to consider the Nexus as their own, a platform made by gamers for gamers - very different from Steam for which modding is only a tiny percentage of their commercial activities.

One of the greatest achievements of the Nexus current UX and UI is that it preserved the look and feel of just that: a service created by gamers for gamers, not quite perfect but very efficient, a little bit on the 'retro' side but obviously not business-oriented, centered on contents (modding) rather than trendy graphics design.

The comparison that comes to mind is the Nexus looks and feels a bit like a good mod, always trying to get better while preserving its main purpose and personality, with Robin being the maestro modder. Or somewhat like a Bethesda game, not quite 'next gen graphics' (understatement - for Bethesda I mean), not entirely devoid of bugs and glitches(even bigger understatement), but always attracting growing millions of enthusiastic fans and opening new realms of customization and creativity.

I find it very significant that out of 206 games the Nexus features, the 5 top ones are still all Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls and Fallout series). Which means that only 2.5 % of the featured games generate 86.5 % of the mods - and thus over 85 % of the Nexus current content and traffic!..

In the few years I've been around, I've seen the Nexus more than double its members' number to get close to 10 millions. And undoubtedly millions more to come with the imminent release of Fallout 4.

So I guess the biggest challenge for you and your team will be to enhance this semi-pro, 'made by gamers for gamers' feeling which will attract new modders and new games while keeping the Nexus 100 % 'Lore-friendly' to keep the current members happy.

I really look forward to see what you guys and girls are going to come up with and truly wish that you will make the Nexus an even better and stronger community than it already is!

Cheers!

PS. On a very minor (and personal) side note if I may, I understand the need for you guys to add visuals to your news posts to attract a bit more attention, but they terribly remind me of the types of catch-all images Web or Ad agencies use in their Power-Point presentations. There's nothing catch-all about the Nexus and its members. How about something a little bit more 'we're all about gaming and modding' for your next post?.. ;)

I completely agree Hoamaii.
There is something different about this site that I have not found anywhere else on the internet. It is difficult to define, but we must be careful not to kill the 'magic'.

Best wishes to all the Nexus staff. :)

In response to post #29905930. #29907915 is also a reply to the same post.

Hoamaii wrote: Hey Paul,

Cheers!

Skyrabbit wrote: I completely agree Hoamaii.
There is something different about this site that I have not found anywhere else on the internet. It is difficult to define, but we must be careful not to kill the 'magic'.

Best wishes to all the Nexus staff. :)

Agreed! Well said. I hope they can keep the atmosphere and feeling the site's retro style brings. I would miss it terribly if it's character would be lost.

In response to post #29902475. #29902530, #29904825, #29906230 are all replies on the same post.

it was in that post

SolidusEkans wrote: Oh, this? My mistake then.

Was a long post and something as important as focus groups should've been on it's own. Not everyone was concerned with site redesign details and not even read the post but would have liked to have been given the opportunity to join a focus group.

Maybe next time there's something important that involves volunteers from the community that special something gets it's own announcement? Kinda better than burying it in something else that is related but might not be an important subject for many users. Unless all you are targeting is people that read everything you post on the front page and if that's what you are doing I have a name for that kind of move and it rhymes with stick.

Anyway I hope those chosen were random and not favoritism, there's enough favorites at The Nexus already. I hope the picks were randomized.

In response to post #29902475. #29902530, #29904825, #29906230, #29923270 are all replies on the same post.

it was in that post

jet4571 wrote: Was a long post and something as important as focus groups should've been on it's own. Not everyone was concerned with site redesign details and not even read the post but would have liked to have been given the opportunity to join a focus group.

Maybe next time there's something important that involves volunteers from the community that special something gets it's own announcement? Kinda better than burying it in something else that is related but might not be an important subject for many users. Unless all you are targeting is people that read everything you post on the front page and if that's what you are doing I have a name for that kind of move and it rhymes with stick.

Anyway I hope those chosen were random and not favoritism, there's enough favorites at The Nexus already. I hope the picks were randomized.

Considering the focus group is for the site redesign, I'd say those who read that post (which was about the site redesign) are exactly the people who should be in the focus group.

I would love to hear more about what you perceive as favoritism on the Nexus though. First I have heard of that, so it could be valuable information to us.

In response to post #29902475. #29902530, #29904825, #29906230, #29923270, #29926080 are all replies on the same post.

it was in that post

jet4571 wrote: Was a long post and something as important as focus groups should've been on it's own. Not everyone was concerned with site redesign details and not even read the post but would have liked to have been given the opportunity to join a focus group.

Zaldiir wrote: Considering the focus group is for the site redesign, I'd say those who read that post (which was about the site redesign) are exactly the people who should be in the focus group.

I would love to hear more about what you perceive as favoritism on the Nexus though. First I have heard of that, so it could be valuable information to us.

I'm totally with Zaldiir on this, the post on the front page was all about the redesign and the people that are interested in that topic read the entirety of the post. There was a reason to have the focus group details at the bottom of the post.

In terms of favouritism! I don't even pretend to know people on the site well enough to start picking and choosing specific individuals for tasks. We have users on the focus group with 1000's of posts down to people with under 10, users who have been here years to some that joined only recently - there was no order to picking!

I hope that I have been very open regarding the redesign since the very beginning, I will continue to do so and hope that you will support me during this time.