Which Desktop is Best for Gaming?

@Ironman5000

You could go with the configuration 4 as well. (if your budget is your concern)

The AMD FX-4300 has a bit lower performance than the i3 in some games, and in other games the performance should be equal.

So as a second choice you could just go with conf. 4.;)

Honestly, not getting a SSD to a modern PC is equal to shooting yourself in the leg with a shotgun.

When I fixed the software issues on my dads laptop that was running on a HDD, I nearly went insane with how slow it was. I went as far as replacing the HDD with a 120gb SSD just to get rid of the slowness.

It's not about fps or anything like that, it's just that the whole system is a complete slowpoke when the OS is installed on a HDD.

Honestly, not getting a SSD to a modern PC is equal to shooting yourself in the leg with a shotgun.

When I fixed the software issues on my dads laptop that was running on a HDD, I nearly went insane with how slow it was. I went as far as replacing the HDD with a 120gb SSD just to get rid of the slowness.

It's not about fps or anything like that, it's just that the whole system is a complete slowpoke when the OS is installed on a HDD.

> Honestly, not getting a SSD to a modern PC is equal to shooting yourself in the leg with a shotgun. <

Running games on an HDD some years ago, was not a BIG problem, so why is it now ???

If you have a fast RIG, with or without an SSD, the game should run fine...

> When I fixed the software issues on my dads laptop that was running on a HDD <

Having the same software problems running on an SSD, will not make the software run faster, only because the drive is an SSD. !!!

-------

Having an SSD its' a good choice for many reasons, but not having one it's not a disaster... :wink:

Having looked around it appears that those with a built-in SSD are out of my price range so i'll make do with one suggested, i've no doubt the performance might not be quite as epic but as long as I can play FO4 with anything above low/mid graphics settings then i'll be a happy chappy :D

• 2 weeks later...

From your 5 choices, as number 5 is not available anymore, number 4 should be the next one.

However if you can find a better CPU with the same GPU (GTX 960) from number 4, that would be the best. !!!

This kind of superlative hyperbole isn't constructive imho (especially when based on vague anecdotes and not quantified data). There is no "magic secret sauce" to having an SSD - it can improve disk-related operations as it offers higher throughput and lower latency than some other storage solutions; faster storage *can* be a benefit for certain tasks and that's been true since the beginning of fixed storage on PCs (and I say "can" instead of "will" because it really depends on the application and what it needs, and how the operating system handles storage - most modern operating systems do a great deal of buffering and prefetch to improve performance, for example). However it does absolutely nothing (at all) for computationally bound tasks (e.g. "frame rate") - just because the thing can "start up" faster does nothing beyond letting it "start up" faster, and the same goes for (in a gaming context) things like level loads. Honestly I'd dump the SSD over any other significant component (e.g. graphics, CPU, memory, PSU) if budget is a consideration - you can throw as many top of the line SSDs as you want at a Pentium Pro with S3 VIRGE graphics and it will still never run Skyrim, Windows 10, etc but a Broadwell Core i7 with GeForce GTX 980 with a mechanical hard drive will happily do both (and a lot more). (and yes, this is a hyperbolic example, but so is "not having this piece of computer hardware is equivalent to attempting suicide with a gun")

As far as the remaining systems, #4 and #6 both look good to me. #6 has a better CPU (at least for gaming), and while the GTX 750 isn't the fastest kid on the block, it's not a slouch; #6 also appears to have a better warranty (I care about things like this, you may not). #4 has a better graphics card, but I'm somewhat skeptical of how useful that will be with the FX-4300.

Out of curiosity: any reason you don't build the machine yourself? What's your overall budget like as well?

Edited by obobski