TES5Edit Cleaning problems with MO

thejtgamer

Recently I had gotten back into Skyrim modding after a long break where one of my personal saves started to break down and I gave up on it. So about a day or two ago I had started to mod again wanting to playthrough some new quest mods. I use Mod Manager to mod and updated it, along with TES5Edit, LOOT, Wrye Bash, and SKSE ect. I tried to update all of my mods that I wanted to use since it was about a 3-4 month break or so. And when I finished my mod list for the new playthrough I launched LOOT, sorted all of my plugins mods ect and fortunately all the mods were clean except for the vanilla game's esm files. I did what I remember doing everytime to clean a plugin. I launched TES5Edit, deselected all plugins, selected the one I wanted to clean. When the program finished loading I clicked 'Apply filter for cleaning' , 'remove identical to master records' and then 'undelete and disable references'. To note before I had started I watched a guide on cleaning plugins to double check I was doing the correct thing. (Gopher's tutorial). I prompted to close the program and I got the usual window explaining to backup the plugin and apply changes to the esm. I had both the backup and save changes boxes enabled and finished. I noticed something in my MO plugins menu when I finished. The actual plugin for the cleaned version was gone. However the overwrite version of the plugin was there and I enabled it. I assumed that it might have been a new feature or something but when I started to clean Dawnguard MO labled the file as a "backup" and I couldnt enabled it like a mod through the mod list part of MO. I was VERY confused seeing as I was able to do so with the previous esm and even though the backup lable thing was technically correct the plugin still wasn't shown in the plugins section of MO. I had no idea how to get the plugins back so I reinstalled Skyrim again. Tried it once more and got the same problems. So AGAIN I reinstalled the game and tried to clean it but didnt enable the 'Backup' part of that window which pops up after the cleaning in TES5Edit. I saw the plugin actually was there now, loaded LOOT to see if it was clean. And much to my luck it was. I did so with the other esm *once again it's the vanilla game esms* and was able to start the game. I created my character. Named him. And when I finished. Instant CTD when I was ingame. I tried to isolate the problem assuming it was a mod. So that ENTIRE day I spent it enabling and disabling around 100 mods. Finally I removed all mods except my ENB. Still crashes upon start the game. Well to more specific It crashed after a second or two of being in the actual game engine ect. But that doesnt matter im getting the the point. I thought it was ENB at this point and removed that. Still same problem. Then it came to me. It was the plugins. I reinstalled the game. Did EVERYTHING over again adding mods ect but this time I didn't clean the vanilla game plugins. Started the game. Made the character. named him again. Perfectly fine. I knew having those plugins uncleaned will be a problem, but I tried to see how much it would crash and damn did it crash a lot. And thats why I'm here posting this. I am completely out of ideas on fixing this. Rewatched and read cleaning guides. I wanted to recreated what happened first with the initial cleaning but enabling the actual plugins as cleaned mods however seeing what happened to the Dawnguard ESM I didnt want to risk what was already 2-3 hours of work only to get info that might not even help in the process of reinstalling the game and every program I use for MO. I hope theres a simple solution to this. I didnt research as much as I probably could have but as you can probably tell I'm limited by my time and the long process it took me to retry everything. Once more I gotta apologize for not looking around as much as I could. Seeing that the forums are clean and the topics section is pretty clean I feel a bit guilty for dirtying it.

alright. I use MO and some of the older cleaning videos specifcally for MO i find dont work with the newer versions. Like gamer poets tutorial. he makes great videos but that method i believe is now outdated for the current versions of MO.

I do exactly how its recommended in the STEP guide.

Step 1 Backup your vanilla esm. start with update esm. open data folder and copy and paste the update esm to your desktop.

Step 2 Open TES5edit click select none....then click update esm and do the normal cleaning process

step 3 save and close with backup pulgins and the esm checked as you normally would.

step 4 back in your skyrim data folder place the copy of your update esm back into the data folder. restoring it to vanilla.

step 5. Inside MO open the overwrite. Delete the backups folder and then close the overwrite

step 6 Click create mod and name the mod "cleaned vanilla ESMs"

Inside that folder should now be your cleaned update esm

Place that between the unofficial high res patch and SKSE

to do the DLC its the same process EXCEPT instead of creating a mod you delete the backups folder and then drag and drop the esm in overwrite into the cleaned esm folder.

for better instructions refer to the step guide on cleaning your esms

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Sorry for the really late response ; I forgot about the post, I did as instructed on the STEP guide and when checking to see if said plugin is now clean LOOT still indicates it as dirty and I have still been crashing. I think the problem is either with my hard drive at this point or just some other problem I user caused. To be more specific though when I do the normal cleaning process on update.esm, it disappears from the plugin list from MO and the Skyrim Data Directory thus meaning it falls under the first case of my hard drive being slow, so I put the backup update.esm from before cleaning into the Skyrim Data directory. Proceed to open the Overwrite created in MO and delete the TES5Edit folder in it, change it into a mod in MO, name it "Cleaned Update ESM" and enable it. At this point Update.esm is back in the plugins list in MO and it as I said earlier is still unclean. Lately I've been completely out of time to try to fix this and read up on it and have to apologize for that continuing what is technically a dead post at this point.

• 1 year later...

this is an unrelated question but maybe you can help... I just cleaned a file that i dont think i was so-post to clean. It was the master file for Beyond Skyrim. After cleaning it, i was unable to launch skyrim. I tried re-downloading the file through MO and it wouldn't let me. I than tried going into skyrim mod folder and deleting the beyond skyrim folder, but it wouldnt let me do that either.

Edited by fcunderwood