[F:NV]What's required to get the custom model in-game?

Danikov

Hello to you all.

Recently I have been finding a lot of interest in modeling and invested quite a lot of my time into it,and thought of giving a shot at trying to recreate something in higher quality for New Vegas using Blender.

Out of all models,I took the Beer model as it was looking quite disappointing and created a model of my own over it,and this is the result:

http://i.imgur.com/wQAHV5F.png

I have not used any sub-division modifiers on it,as I am aware its not such a good idea to use such things for game assets.

The Tris count for:

Original Beer model - 142 tris

My Beer model - 816(bottle) + 2205(cap) = a total of of 3021 tris

I will try to mow down some tris off the cap and also figure out why the tris count is an odd amount,in the meantime,I'd also like to know what's required from me to get this into my game.

I have looked into the pinned post of this forum section several times and couldn't find what I am looking for...does anyone happen to know where I can find a guide that contains all the steps for something like this?

Thanks.

The stages are as follows:

For the mesh:
-Make a mesh

-UV unwrap the lowpoly mesh

-export to .nif using blender2.49 and legacy save format + niftools plugin
-use nifscope to make it compatible with FONV, assign textures, shaders, etc.

-save in your folder in Data/Meshes

I suppose in this case you'll be replacing a vanilla mesh / texture so you'll save the .nif file to a filepath corresponding to the path of the beer bottle in the .bsa files.
And since you're making a mesh for the sake of learning you probably don't need to bother with lowpoly/highpoly normal map baking, or textures at all: you can just UV unwrap it to match the vanilla texture.

I realise this doesn't tell you many useful specifics. Feel free to ask about anything you don't know/can't find tutorials on.

Thank you very much for replying.

I spared very few details about what I am willing to do,so its not just about learning only,what I'd like to do is recreate the food,beverage and some misc items' models in greater detail rather than just throwing it like that into the game.

The information you have provided is clear and I understand it. I have been doing some brief modeling in the past using 3ds max for a short period of time.

I have a question,why do I need to use version 2.49 specifically for exporting?

Thank you very much once again.