New build pc

hello i am going the way fwo Radeon sense the drivers for Windows 10 killed my two gtx780ti's, i had some fun before they died. Sad face. it doesn't matter what drivers i use they crash every time.

i even switched to windows 7 to see if its the drivers for Windows 10. but no its a goner...

updated specs.

Windows 7 pro 64bit

Windows 10 may be off the hook, at least for now.

two radeon 390 8gb ddr5 models. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202164&cm_re=Radeon_R9_390-_-14-202-164-_-Product

1000watt psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438035&cm_re=1000watt-_-17-438-035-_-Product

and i already have the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347&cm_re=9590-_-19-113-347-_-Product

budget 1500$

Any of these cards will be bottlenecked by the 9590 - 390 isn't a bad card though. I'd strongly consider a bigger PSU - the 9590 is 200-300W (actual measured) and the 390s will be around that as well - that leaves something like 100W (at most) for hard-drives, fans, the motherboard, other peripherals, etc and assumes the PSU running at 100% (or near to it) output when under load (which is not a good idea even with a high quality PSU).

As far as the 780s - do they have a warranty you could claim? Honestly I'm kind of surprised when you say "drivers killed them" - in some twenty years of working on computers I've never seen a driver legitimately kill a piece of hardware. It can render a machine unusable by being unstable or incompatible, but actually "kill" a piece of hardware is like the million-dollar shot. That said, if you're running all that on the same 1kW PSU, I wouldn't be surprised if the PSU is in not-so-great shape after powering all of that under heavy load. Can you, or have you, tested the cards individually and/or in another machine?

My diagnoses claims the fans when running Windows 10, stopped them from running properly, then overheated. Msi afterburner states a failure of the fans.

Overheating do to faulty drivers in Windows 10. they no longer function properly. I can though watch movies browse the internet, listen to music. :ohdear:

Edited by niphilim222

My diagnoses claims the fans when running Windows 10, stopped them from running properly, then overheated. Msi afterburner states a failure of the fans.

Overheating do to faulty drivers in Windows 10. they no longer function properly. I can though watch movies browse the internet, listen to music. :ohdear:

It's obviously a GPU malfunctioning. If W10 is the culprit or just your GPUs went broke after a lot of usage is unknown.

To answer the original question: Yes, a driver can kill a video card, but it is rather rare and requires an extreme move by the driver maker (Nvidia is this situation),

such as forcing the fan to power down and allowing the gpu to build up heat to the point of failure.

-------

Also as obobski stated above, a complete system build with an FX-9590 and a 2-way Crossfire GPU system comes near to 900 Watt power uage. !!!

That's a bit too close...However this particular PSU has an outstanding performance.

To answer the original question: Yes, a driver can kill a video card, but it is rather rare and requires an extreme move by the driver maker (Nvidia is this situation),

such as forcing the fan to power down and allowing the gpu to build up heat to the point of failure.

Except, and here's where we're picking at nits, no nVidia GPU since NV30 (GeForce FX) will allow itself to overheat in that manner - they all have a feature known as "System Sentinel" that will clamp on thermal over-limit events. This feature is independent of the drivers - it is meant to save the hardware in the event of fan or cooling system failure, or PSU failure (if the card stops receiving power via the auxiliary inputs it will also clamp). I have multiple GeForce cards that have been saved by this mechanism over the years, either due to fan failure, or other hardware failure. For extra "fun" you can even run the card with no heatsink, and Sentinel will save the board (I tested this on an already damaged board; I don't suggest you try it on something you care about). Same as any modern CPU.

If the fans are simply failed (do they spin up?) its likely the card isn't allowing itself to engage full p-state - this is fairly typical behavior of Sentinel in action (on some lower power cards they can dance in and out of full p-state and stutter their way through 3D applications, but a 780 Ti is not one of those cards). I would again strongly suggest looking at a warranty claim as opposed to just throwing these in the trash, even if it is just to replace the fans.

Except sentinel says there is a power issue, and i don't know if that's the case here.

------

If he has a warranty even better. The problem would be solved, of course that depends on the store - how quick can he resupply the OP with a new pair of GPU's.

------

> If the fans are simply failed (do they spin up?) its likely the card isn't allowing itself to engage full p-state <

That would explain the crashes whilst playing. !!!

Except sentinel says there is a power issue, and i don't know if that's the case here.

------

If he has a warranty even better. The problem would be solved, of course that depends on the store - how quick can he resupply the OP with a new pair of GPU's.

------

> If the fans are simply failed (do they spin up?) its likely the card isn't allowing itself to engage full p-state <

That would explain the crashes whilst playing. !!!

Sentinel will silently throttle/stop the GPU for overheat (e.g. it can allow it to overheat, slow it down/stop it, let it cool, and resume functionality seamlessly) - it will complain about power on start-up if the AUX connector isn't present (but is required), but if the motherboard's power section fails (or the PSU fails) you may not get a Sentinel pop-up in Windows. All of this is independent of the drivers though, so even if the drivers (for some unknown reason) stopped cycling the fans on/off or spinning them up to appropriate levels (which, with nVidia OEM drivers, is something I can't say I've ever observed - of course with "hacked" or "modded" drivers anything is possible though), Sentinel should still function.

Without more information wrt warranty, fan condition, other hardware condition, etc its really tough to make any good judgment about this system or what it's doing, other than "not working." That PSU is on the "too small" side for this kind of hardware as well, and it doesn't matter if it measures very well - near 100% output on a long-term basis is no good for reliability. Without more information, this sounds to me like there's a lot of hardware involved that needs thorough testing, and some of it will likely need to be replaced, with more care/attention given to configuration and part selection at that time (e.g. if our goal is FX-9590 and 780 Ti or 290X SLI/CrossFire, a larger PSU is appropriate, and significant attention needs to be paid to cooling).

My motherboards a Sabertooth 990fx v2, with that in mind its a fairly new model. And sadly no i do not have the warranty.

HA HA

I am getting a Furyx this time around, watched some benchmarks and it sure is a good buy for the performance. Out does the gtx 980ti by a long shot. Titan like performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202157&cm_re=AMD_R9_FURY_X-_-14-202-157-_-Product

I am based in Canada, but my friend has a USA account, just a small trip across the border is nothing special :dance: :thumbsup:

I also have a concern that bios will not support it, its Dual UEF but not not the sabertooth its UEF single

Notes research

+Dual-Bios means you can safely try unlocking your card to a Fury X (check google) :geek: :laugh: so i am good to go.

Edited by niphilim222

The "dual BIOS" thing on the graphics card has nothing to do with the system's BIOS - most recent AMD cards have a switch between two BIOS settings for power management and/or overclocking, but that's independent of the system's BIOS/firmware. Performance-wise a single Fury will be worse than twin 780s, and with the 9590 you'll experience generally lower performance than anything with an Intel processor (which is what a lot of modern benchmarks use, due to the 9590's age), however its much more appropriate for the PSU (assuming the PSU is still in good shape) and won't have any of the multi-GPU qurikiness of SLI/CrossFire (so performance may improve in some applications). Overall not a bad buy.