Oblivion.ini is making the game crash...but I need it!

fulgate

Okay.

I just purchased Oblivion (GOTY Deluxe Steam) the other day and am trying to set it up. The game crashes on startup. I get a little music and the Bethsoft logo for a second, but it happens pretty fast. I try running the game in compatibility mode as Administrator, no dice. (I have Windows 7 64-bit, which I know is an issue.)

I look online for solutions, someone says to delete the Morrowind.ini file and I do so, the game runs great. I've got a few mods installed, no issues with them (yet). The game crashes on exit, but I fix that quickly by installing the fast exit mod.

Problem is, one of the mods I have installed is Oblivion Reloaded, which needs you to edit the Oblivion.ini file. Furthermore, if I can't customize the controls, the game is unplayable for me. I need to find out why the Oblivion.ini file is making the game crash and find some way to fix the problem while keeping the file.

Mods:

The Unofficial Oblivion patch + the Shivering Isles and DLC ones
Qarl's Texture Pack + Compatibility patch for the UOP
Unique Landscapes
Better Cities + Resources and compatibility patches for UL
Robert's Male Body Replacer
Oblivion Reloaded
Oblivion Character Overhaul
Oblivion Script Extender
Blockhead

Fast Exit

Using TesModManager 1.5.11 and ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated!.

Someone please help me?

Did you, before modding the game, start the game so it can make an INI?

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm actually trying to remember whether it crashed or not the first time I ran it before modding. I think it crashed on exit, not on start-up, and subsequently crashed on startup until I deleted the ini file that was generated.

I'm actually trying to remember whether it crashed or not the first time I ran it before modding. I think it crashed on exit, not on start-up, and subsequently crashed on startup until I deleted the ini file that was generated.

Try regenerating without any mods...delete the current INI, start via Oblivion's launcher. Do the whole Tuner thing, then start a game (no mods...just start straight after INI is generated) let the main menu load. Once it loads, exit game and be sure that the properties for your INIs are not READ ONLY>

Try regenerating without any mods...delete the current INI, start via Oblivion's launcher. Do the whole Tuner thing, then start a game (no mods...just start straight after INI is generated) let the main menu load. Once it loads, exit game and be sure that the properties for your INIs are not READ ONLY>

Thanks man, I think I got it working. It seems the problem was the official Oblivion patches. This really saved me a big headache, so thanks for your help!

Now I just have to figure out why the male body replacer isn't letting me have a dong when I take my clothes off...I don't feel complete with no manhood. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions. I'll just have to start trying different things, maybe I'm just not understanding it.

So have you copied the files foot.nif, hand.nif and upperbody.nif from the extracted download's Data\meshes\characters\RT\bodytypes\Scrawney\Nude folder to your game's Data\meshes\characters\_male folder, overwriting the files that are there already? To get your tackle you first need to decide whether you want trimmed tackle or untrimmed. Untrimmed is simple ... just copy the lowerbody.nif from the same folder in the extracted download to your Data\meshes\characters\_male folder (again overwriting what is already there). For trimmed tackle you will need to copy the lowerbodyCircumcised.nif file to the game's Data\meshes\characters\_male folder and then rename it to lowerbody.nif.

- Edit - You could also use Blockhead to change just the player character's body if you wish (if you wanted to role play the only 90 lb weakling in Cyrodiil for instance). You could even change that body to more muscular one as your character developed in strength if you wanted.

The downside is the availability of resized clothing/armor ... see the Outfit Replacers Data\meshes\RT\Pants-Greaves-Sets folder to see what's available (plus you would need to create an ESP to get the resized stuff into the game without it replacing all other male outfits).

Edited by Striker879

So have you copied the files foot.nif, hand.nif and upperbody.nif from the extracted download's Data\meshes\characters\RT\bodytypes\Scrawney\Nude folder to your game's Data\meshes\characters\_male folder, overwriting the files that are there already? To get your tackle you first need to decide whether you want trimmed tackle or untrimmed. Untrimmed is simple ... just copy the lowerbody.nif from the same folder in the extracted download to your Data\meshes\characters\_male folder (again overwriting what is already there). For trimmed tackle you will need to copy the lowerbodyCircumcised.nif file to the game's Data\meshes\characters\_male folder and then rename it to lowerbody.nif.

- Edit - You could also use Blockhead to change just the player character's body if you wish (if you wanted to role play the only 90 lb weakling in Cyrodiil for instance). You could even change that body to more muscular one as your character developed in strength if you wanted.

The downside is the availability of resized clothing/armor ... see the Outfit Replacers Data\meshes\RT\Pants-Greaves-Sets folder to see what's available (plus you would need to create an ESP to get the resized stuff into the game without it replacing all other male outfits).

I copied foot.nif, hand.nif, upperbody.nif and lowerbody.nif from Data\meshes\characters\RT\bodytypes\Scrawney\Nude to Data\meshes\characters\_male in the game folder as directed and replaced existing files. I run the game and that damn loincloth is still there. What am I doing wrong?

Don't want to mess around with Blockhead unless it's really necessary as I'd probably f*ck it up...

Only possibilities that come to mind are either UAC messing with you (assuming you are using a Windows version later than Windows XP) or your archive invalidation isn't working. I use the archive invalidation from Wrye Bash myself, but I believe it just uses the same dummy BSA as ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated! ... do you have a file named ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa in your game's Data folder? If so then confirm that your Oblivion.ini file (NOT Oblivion_Default.ini found in the game's Oblivion folder) has the following entry:

sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

The UAC issue will be if you installed the game (or Steam if you use the Steam version of the game) in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and are running Windows Vista, 7, 8.0/8.1 or 10.

Something that occurs to me that may work is delete the files hand.nif, foot.nif, upperbody.nif and lowerbody.nif from your game's Data\meshes\characters\_male folder. This will put you back to using vanilla meshes from Oblivion - Meshes.bsa. Start the game and confirm you are now seeing the game default diaper and not Roberts loincloth. If so then copy the four files from your extracted download RT\bodytypes\Scrawny folder and see what happens.