How to remove grass on the ground? It is causing clipping Issues.

Shadowheart328

Hey everyone, for the mod I am working on I am creating some buildings to place in skyrim's exterior, however, I am running into the issue where the grass clips through the buildings. I know that I can disable grass in the creation kit, but that does not disable the grass in the game. So how would I actually go about removing the grass, I am a scripter by trade and excel at quest design but I cannot landscape or decorate buildings to save my life in the creation kit (reason for my mod's hiatus and delay). So help with this issue would be greatly appreciated :D

Press h to open the landscape editor, then press i to open a window that shows every texture used within the four cells you are close to. Find the one causing the issues, and the go to the texture selector inside the landscape editing window. Find that texture inside the window, and directly underneath it, there should be a texture with the same name but with "no grass" after it. Select that and start painting (right click) where the clipping occurs. That should do it!

Press h to open the landscape editor, then press i to open a window that shows every texture used within the four cells you are close to. Find the one causing the issues, and the go to the texture selector inside the landscape editing window. Find that texture inside the window, and directly underneath it, there should be a texture with the same name but with "no grass" after it. Select that and start painting (right click) where the clipping occurs. That should do it!

Okay, I will try that out and let you know how it goes, not in front of my desktop now so will probably be able to try this out in an hour or so.

Okay, I will try that out and let you know how it goes, not in front of my desktop now so will probably be able to try this out in an hour or so.

If you still have issues check out lesson 3 of http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/114-creation-kit-basics/ This is how I learned to remove grass - also once it's removed it still shows up in the Creation Kit, although it will be gone in the game!

Thank you both so much for this, duude98 I followed your steps and they worked flawlessly, and ElioraArin the tutorial site your provided gave all the detail necessary for me to understand why this was happening along with other great tips and tutorials. Thank you guys (now I can get to work on completing my mod)!

Just note that you are still replacing an original landscape type with another original landscape type, and some mods still place all kinds of plants and grasses on landscapes that previously had none of those on it (like Skyrim flora Overhaul for example).

Lets take my mod Tel Nalta II for example, its a nice town on an island but having grass all over that island really is not what I wanted, so to make it compatible with SFO I had to duplicate one of the original landscapes and make sure I also copied the texture for that to a new folder and make my new landscape type use that texture.

And then you have to edit your exterior with this duplicated landscape as well of course.

Sure, I'm stuck with this vanilla landscape on my island now, but at least none of the other mods will ever mess my ground up anymore by placing all kinds of grass/bush on it.

Just note that you are still replacing an original landscape type with another original landscape type, and some mods still place all kinds of plants and grasses on landscapes that previously had none of those on it (like Skyrim flora Overhaul for example).

Lets take my mod Tel Nalta II for example, its a nice town on an island but having grass all over that island really is not what I wanted, so to make it compatible with SFO I had to duplicate one of the original landscapes and make sure I also copied the texture for that to a new folder and make my new landscape type use that texture.

And then you have to edit your exterior with this duplicated landscape as well of course.

Sure, I'm stuck with this vanilla landscape on my island now, but at least none of the other mods will ever mess my ground up anymore by placing all kinds of grass/bush on it.

Hmmm....seems like a lot of work. :(.....Ah well, I guess I had better get to learning!

I may be wrong but I think you will only need to take the steps that Ac3s has given if you are using flora overhaul mods, &/or if you want your mod to be as highly compatible with other mods as is possible when you upload it :smile:

Edited by ElioraArin

I may be wrong but I think you will only need to take the steps that Ac3s has given if you are using flora overhaul mods, &/or if you want your mod to be as highly compatible with other mods as is possible when you upload it :smile:

Welp guess that means I gotta do then, gotta make this as compatible as possible.

Well maybe you don't have to do my steps right away, just keep it in mind and if you or users notice grass/bush clipping with certain mods then you can always replace landscape afterwards.

Usually mods should not be placing grass on landscape that has "no grass" in its name, but in my case I used that "tundra" landscape because it was nice and brown, which was perfect for my mushroom buildings, but the thing is that in Vanilla tundra has no grass on it, though several mods pimped the hell out of that up to the point where my island was covered with 1m tall grass as if it was a savanna.

Either way, replacing landscape is pretty easy:

You can view the textures by left clicking on the terrain while in terrain edit mode, and hitting the i key. it'll show you what textures are loaded and you can easily delete and/or replace them instantly within that cell.

Edited by Guest