Looking for a modding Yoda to answer a qestion about texture replacing.

Rapier422

As a fan of World of Warcraft I was excited to see an armor mod for one of my favorite WoW character...the Banshee Queen herself, Sylvanas Windrunner, thanks to AthenaX. Fantastic armor mod with exceptional detail. Only problem was that the cloak for this amazing set didn't show Sylvanas's flowing silver locks. When I asked her about it she kindly advised me to use the cloak with hair textures from ilikeawp's Sylvanas follower mod. When I replaced the cloak textures, the cloak itself worked great, however, I was unable to add the hair along with it. I assume that I need to transfer the nif files for both the hair (wig) and cloak along with the textures to make it work but I'm not entirely sure. Would love some expert advice regarding my problem.

P.S. This is for my personal use and I do not have plans to redistribute any changes.

Yeah what you need isn't just a texture swap, you'd need to use the meshes from the follower mod and it's textures instead of the cloak in the armor mod. Depending on the structure of the meshes it might not be feasable to do straight replacer of the armor mod you have without some extra work (renaming the meshes and changing the texture paths) but it not so be too hard for even a novice to do.

Good luck.

Yeah what you need isn't just a texture swap, you'd need to use the meshes from the follower mod and it's textures instead of the cloak in the armor mod. Depending on the structure of the meshes it might not be feasable to do straight replacer of the armor mod you have without some extra work (renaming the meshes and changing the texture paths) but it not so be too hard for even a novice to do.

Good luck.

They might also need to reassign armor slots in the Creation Kit - anything that takes up the Hair and LongHair (and for Khajiit, the Ears slot) slots will force - hide the hair. I do believe that a slot reassign will fix the problem.

Thank you very much for the advice. Seeing as I am VERY new to all of this I wonder if I could be directed to a tutorial or a video of some kind to explain to me, step by step, how to make this happen.

Edited by 536861646f57

Excellent. Thank you for the link. So, as I understand it, I do the mesh and texture transfer and correct the corresponding armor assignments of this cloak in Creation Kit essentially creating a new file to replace the existing ones. Is that about right?

You can edit the existing armor. All you need to do is un-highlight the "hair" or "LongHair" slots if either or both is selected. Keep in mind that this will most likely introduce clipping issues.

Here in this screenshot I made, the red box has all of the slot info. You can keep the texture info and mesh info the same.

http://i.imgur.com/9vkpcCo.png

Edited by 536861646f57

Ugh, so frustrating. I can't seem to figure this out. I've watched and read all the tutorials I could find and I still can't seem to get it to work. I know I am asking a lot but if someone is willing to attempt what I am trying to do and is able to accomplish it and then tutor me I would be extremely grateful. I am trying to make AthenaX's Sylvanas Cloak look like the normal Sylvanas dark/ purple Cloak with the silver colored hair wig nif from ilikeawp's Sylvanas follower mod. Again, I know that's asking a lot but I do hope someone will help me with this project.

Ugh, so frustrating. I can't seem to figure this out. I've watched and read all the tutorials I could find and I still can't seem to get it to work. I know I am asking a lot but if someone is willing to attempt what I am trying to do and is able to accomplish it and then tutor me I would be extremely grateful. I am trying to make AthenaX's Sylvanas Cloak look like the normal Sylvanas dark/ purple Cloak with the silver colored hair wig nif from ilikeawp's Sylvanas follower mod. Again, I know that's asking a lot but I do hope someone will help me with this project.

Reinstall the mod and start over. Then, after that, use what you've learned to try again. Modding isn't easy. Nobody ever said it was. Once you get the hang of it, then it gets easier. I started with the Morrowind CK. Had no clue what to do. Then, the Oblivion CK came out. I got used to that. I have never watched a single tutorial. Everything I know is from trial and error. But once you figure out what to do, whether from watching tuts to experimenting, it gets easier and a whole lot of things come to light.

You can do this.

Well, tried all I can understand how to do and nothing is working. Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to find a different look to replace the hood. I just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. I begging to wonder if I may actually have to retexture the hood to include the hair. If that is the case then I have no idea where to begin with that. Any more advice, tips or even how to make this work would be very greatly appreciated.

Edited by Rapier422