Strange Solitude CTD

bardathe111

You can merge unrelated patches, too. I was using your load order as an example - you don't seem to have many patches that aren't related. My personal preference is to merge patches that ARE related - it keeps them organized (and I don't have to spend a lot of time trying to remember what I merged into it).

I'm still trying to track down your crashing problem for Solitude. I'm going through your mods list trying to determine what else you have that's editing the Solitude Interior. I noticed you have the SoS Civilization.esp. I just found a post by Carboniac detailing that this module indeed edits the city cells and can cause conflicts/crashes.

Here is part of what he posted:

"The SOS civ mod alters cells, people. So anything that alters the same cells will be incompatible. That's just how Skyrim works, no reason to complain about it.

You don't need the patches supplied by this mod (and you probably shouldn't use them anyway, as they're quite old and probably long outdated).

You need to resolve conflicts using TES5Edit, which will work for all mods that are conflicting with SOS.

What you need to do is:

- Load the SOS modules way down in your load order, preferably last, just above any bashed patches.

- Clean SOS modules of any ITMs and undelete references using TES5Edit (if you don't know how, find out. Google, YouTube).

- Load your entire mod list in TES5Edit - then run a filter for conflicts (if you don't know how, find out. Google or YouTube).

- Now, for every mod that is overwritten by a SOS file (open up the contents of every SOS file and see what it overwrites), determine if that is something you want in your game (light mods, other sounds etc etc). Then, in TES5edit, drag the conflicting property of the mod that is being overwritten into the SOS file. You might possibly have to make those files as masters of the SOS file, depending on the kind of conflict and contents.

- Save the edited SOS files when closing TES5Edit

Now you can use all SOS modules with zero conflict, as you have just made a patch between the SOS files and all your other mods, costing you no extra .esp file or anything."

So, can I add a mod and a patch for said mod to a single merged file? (ie. Noldor content and then the Noldor Hotfix)

NVM, That patch just edits the file, it doesn't add a new esp.

I'll try that SOS patch creation and yes, I'll admit my mod list isn't exactly easy to sift through :tongue:

Edited by bardathe111

You'll have to forgive me, too. I'm trying to find the best way to explain how to merge mods. It took quite a bit of trial and error and a lot of sifting through different forum posts to come to the level of understanding that I have. I want to save you some of the trouble and headache I've had, if I can.

It's taken me more time than I care to admit, as well :smile: I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert, either. The only reason I've learned so much is because I'm stubborn and don't like to be told I have too many mods for my game :tongue: I can't promise you that merging these mods will fix your crashing right now, but it may help with other crashes further into your playthrough. Also, you might be able to add in some other mods (armors, weapons, bugfixes) guilt-free!

A few tips about merging:

1. Check the mods you want to merge for errors in TES5 Edit. It won't merge mods with dirty edits or errors. If you do find dirty edits, clean them.

2. Mods should be merged in the order of their LOOT load order - this way if there is a conflict within the merge, the lowest mod will win and gets its changes written into the merged esp.

3. Only load the mods that you want to merge into TES5 Edit. It will automatically load any masters that correspond to the mods you are merging.

4. I don't recommend merging ESM files. Some people do it (merge an esp into its esm) but I'm not that desperate for plug-in space.

5. Mods that shouldn't be merged: Script heavy, make lots of changes to navmeshing, have complicated MCM menus, make lots of changes to NPCs, and have several conflicts with other mods in your load order.

6. Mods that can be merged: Clothing, Jewelry, Armor, Weapons, simple bugfixes, some house mods, some environmental mods (Ruffled Feather Collection), and some minor quest/location mods.

7. Check the mod for errors after the merge is complete. Be sure to load the original mods with the new merged mod when checking for errors - you can sometimes correct minor errors that do pop up by dragging the missing information from the original mod into the merged esp.

I've read through your load order a couple of times and have found a quick example of one merge you could try:

Clothing and Jewelry
amuletsofthedivines.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
duskguardamulet.esp
HoodsAndCirclets.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
LeftHandRings - Dawnguard.esp
A few mods in your load order that I definitely would NOT merge:
Helgen Reborn
Falskaar
Wyrmstooth
Wet and Cold
Skyrim Immersive Creatures
Amazing Follower Tweaks
Combat Evolved
Legacy of the Dragonborn

Immersive Armors

Immersive Patrols II

Ah yes, those last ones are somewhat huge. I merged all the other ones you named into a patch with my weapon and armor mods to make one gear mod and it seems to have functioned correctly.

Additionally, I think SOS was the issue. I'm going to try loading the Solitude cell a few more times to be certain.