Covenant?

Lessabos

So I manage to wipe out that place and safe that poor synth girl, it was funny taking their SAFE test wearing X-01 Power armor with Institute colours and having X8-66 courser as companion mocking that place out loud.

What was your outcome?

Had to kill them all to free the girl. I want a mod where you can at least talk down the people at Covenant after destroying the Compund

Agree, it would be nice if you could solve this half way peacefully. Was hoping that there would be something like a dialogue option in the vanilla game. Unfortunately I had to wipe out Covenants whole population after the Compound since they attacked me as soon as I reached the gates of Covenant. But well now I have a nice and well fortified place where I can build my own settlement.

But well now I have a nice and well fortified place where I can build my own settlement.

Be ready for a lot of trouble and quite intensive usage of console.

What kind of trouble will be there? Haven't done much there until now.

Edited by NDDragor

What kind of trouble will be there? Haven't done much there until now.

Basically...

The game won't automatically remove the turrets you have had to destroy, You'll have to disable or mark these for deletion in order to replace with your own turrets to count towards defense values.

The beds and most the other things located in the locked rooms will not transfer ownership, worse, the doors will re-lock themselves. You will need to manually set ownership of the beds to be used by your settlers. The doors are a more complicated matter, scrapping them will remove them, but they cannot be easily replaced without building a door frame and then using console to move a door out of that frame and into position.

The front doors are set to automatically close after opening. Setting their defaultstate to open can work initially, but will reset itself if the doors get activated again. Unfortunately you cannot scrap these doors so either have to deal with this annoying aspect (which makes it exceedingly difficult to do anything in workshop mode (see point below)). The only long-term solution is to just disable them.

Settlers which move to the settlement will inexplicably walk outside and sit at the campfire that caravans stop at. Unfortunately this area is also quite a long ways outside the building area for the settlement. The problem really comes in with the doors that automatically close. See, in order to assign settlers to things like crops or shop stalls, you need to be in workshop mode, but the doors can only be opened in normal mode. Meanwhile you can only stand outside the borders of the settlement for 5 seconds before it cancels on you. This results in a very complicated situation of opening the doors while outside, switching quickly to workshop mode, running out of the border to tag a settler, then running back in before the doors close so that you can assign the settler to anything. Disabling the doors makes this less problematic, but still annoying. Unfortunately the alarm bell doesn't always work in bringing NPCs inside the settlement due to the door, and the fireplace.

Fortunately since you killed everyone that was living there, you don't have to deal with all this as well as horrible NPC AI in a small enclosed space.

Everything what Vagrant said. And further, I had following problems:

-- I had to remove (disable) bodies of the former Covenanters,

-- I had to remove (disable) some containers because changing ownership didn't work,

-- power -- buildings' walls don't work the same as the crafted ones.

Okey... looks like too much trouble to invest time and resources in this settlement. The problem with the corpses that wont disappear isn't new. Had to remove the dead ghouls in Sunshine Tidings co-op via console as well but the situation with the doors sounds really annoying.

Okey... looks like too much trouble to invest time and resources in this settlement. The problem with the corpses that wont disappear isn't new. Had to remove the dead ghouls in Sunshine Tidings co-op via console as well but the situation with the doors sounds really annoying.

Which is why I opted to just remove the doors entirely.

For all its flaws, it's still a good settlement due to being more centrally located in the northern part of the map and really only having one direction where attacks are of concern. It just requires a fair bit of console work to fix some of the major oversights.

Personally I didn't have a problem with the doors, because:

1. You can just build a bell.

2. People tend to basically go to whatever objects they can interact with. That usually means chairs, crafting stations, campfire. I tend to just remove all chairs and whatnot from my settlements and place various benches (with radios nearby, for atmosphere reasons) around the village square, so to speak.

If they want chairs and sofas in their own homes, they can go to some country which cares about human rights. Like Cuba or China. In MY village, everyone should stay in the village square AND LIKE IT ;)

So when I need to assign someone to a crop, chances are I'll find a couple of guys using those benches. So far I never actually needed to use the bell, I just grab someone from the market square or...

3. If you come at night, chances are you'll find a bunch of people sleeping in their beds. Quite easy to find and assign.

And I mean, as a stealth character, I'm nocturnal anyway. I'm pretty much playing a tomcat, really. Sleep all day, go hunt at night ;)

So assigning villagers at night is really no problem.

4. Well, you can build stairs from inside to the walls, if all else fails. Then you can go up the wall, tag a villager sitting by the camp fire, come back down and click on whatever you want to assign them to. Or

5. Use a jetpack to jump right over the walls back and forth.