Beta Version Unchecks Mods?

3R3BU5

I've watched this happen after pulling up the launcher. It seems to uncheck any mods in the load order, but only with the current steam beta. This can be circumvented by re-checking the mods before hitting play on the launcher, but it's frustrating. I'm thinking the beta may be programmed to only load the base .esm file for the game, but I can't be sure as I'm not very well-versed in this stuff. Anyone know specifically why this is happening or a way to stop it? Or am I the only one with this problem?

Only issue I've had is that using NMM to install mods doesn't set that plugins file back to read-only - so running the game after adding a mod would disable ALL mods as it would write over the file.

Beta or no beta, I was having things disable themselves a LOT until I figured that one out. Otherwise, yeah, the second beta re-hid the mod menu, but hasn't interfered with my setup otherwise.

It also disables the hidden mod menu on the launcher.... and in my game it disables the number pad... etc. I reverted back to the official patch and said to hell with the beta for now.

Actually, the number pad isn't disabled. The latest beta just made them independently re-mappable. Just remap you numbers from the number bar over to the pad and then you can use the bar for other stuff

While the NMM can manage your ini's. You should control them manually and keep them all read only.

I also recommend using F4SE, though it has no added scripts, yet.

F4SE is also a game loader as well and avoids using the games own loader. This avoids the problem.

Two niggling issues remain

1st if Steam is closed and has a self-update to install, it will take over and run the vanilla loader after updating Steam.

2nd is that Betas auto install, regardless of the timed settings for updates to games.

I have it set for the minimum hour each day from 6 to 7 AM.

This queues games nicely and prevents them from auto updating and breaking mods.

The Fallout beta updated as soon as Steam started.

It also disables the hidden mod menu on the launcher.... and in my game it disables the number pad... etc. I reverted back to the official patch and said to hell with the beta for now.

Actually, the number pad isn't disabled. The latest beta just made them independently re-mappable. Just remap you numbers from the number bar over to the pad and then you can use the bar for other stuff

Oooh. Well that'll be great then. I might have to repatch and test it out. That was my only real complaint, other than the mod manager being all wonky and needing to stay read only again.

Oooh. Well that'll be great then. I might have to repatch and test it out. That was my only real complaint, other than the mod manager being all wonky and needing to stay read only again.

Not sure that's NMM managers doing, but I rarely use NMM, I choose the best manager, for each game and that's rarely NMM.

MO (Mod Organizer) is my main TES/Fallout manager and I would use, Wrye Bash/Flash for the older ones.

In these early days I'd trust no manager, except MO with my Ini's. Why is MO safer, once MO copies the Ini when you first run it, it's never used again. MO keeps per profile Ini's virtually and you can make Ini edits, for each mods special requirements. These only get applied to the Ini you specfied, when the mods activated and is removed when the mods not being used.

MO is the only manager I'd trust with my Ini edits for this reason, I set the Vanills ini's as read only when using any other manager, with MO I make my must have, Core Mods Profile as my starting point for all my profiles and customise Ini settings from that base, Steam can do what it wants to it's Ini then.

MO needs 64-bit functionality for Fallout 4, and an Alpha is in developement right now. Of course the current Alpha is a WiP and the above is the 32-bit MO's functionality

The Apha's available on STEP, but it's currently only useful for bug fixing the alpha. I don't recommend you use it, on your current playthrough, unles you want to help find the bugs. It's not good enough to simply use, just yet.

Steam and the Vanilla Launcher are the most likely the reason for these changes back to default settings. Avoid the issue, by making all key files, read only, while you actually play the game.

I see no way in NMM for the user to manage Ini's or for Mods to change any Ini's. So what exactly NMM does, to "manage" Ini's, is unclear to me.

Setting and unsetting the read only flag is all I can think of, if that's what NMM management of Ini's does, but if NMM did that correctly, Steam shouldn't be capable of changing things.

There's too much uncertainty with NMM and no real documentation, the NMM Wiki is useless.Stop Steam's mistakes before they happen.

Take control of the game, set all key files too read only, whilst playing and reset it after making your own edits each time.

Letting NMM rewrite the Load Order is fine whilst changing mods, if you then make Plugins.txt read only again, before starting the game.

How I miss a working MO, it makes complicated multi-profile modding, so much easier and safer, than any other manager I know of.

As I've said before, NMM is a Jack of all engines, but master of none. If that's what you want, NMM is for you.

MO is the master of one engine the Creation Engine/GECK and I wouldn't have it any other way, I always want to use the Master Mod Manager for all my game engines, not a Jack.

Also contrary to most thinking, I don't really think it's hard to learn to use MO, what's hard is unlearning the Jack's method. Thinking you know how it's done, hinders learning a new method, much more than not knowing anything.

I learned MO before NMM and found, NMM harder to learn for the same reasons as above. Though this newer NMM seems easier, but I know NMM a bit now and suspect, it's become easier, by dropping features it used to have in older versions and Skyrim specifically.

I don't use it enough to say for sure, but all other the new games, have very basic features.

It's clear, to me, NMM competes with Steam Workshop, not Wrye Bash or MO.

NMM now, with Profiles is what Steam pretends, but fails to be. NMM provides the bare minimum required to correctly manage modded games. It wipes the floor with Steam Workshop and is much better, indeed Steam Workshop isn't even a mod manager, it's a downloader, that's all it actually does.

Steam Workshop requires an in game management function, to combine with it, as a dysfunctional Mod Manager, like the TES/Fallout Launchers

So theres no choice to be made here, NMM wins always, the Workshop isn't fit for, the purpose of managing mods.

With Skyrim, Wrye Bash failed, they turned to merging the separate Wrye's when the Workshop appeared, in a wrong headed knee jerk reaction and failed to develop for Skyrim. They abandoned the already successful dedicated game versions, that Wrye instigated, when he left modding.

Developement of Skyrim targetted features stopped, for 2 whole years virtually no developement occured. I know they are only a couple of developers and real life was a factor, but MO has only a single developer, Tannin, who works full time as well.

The fact is Wrye Bash for Skyrim, never became the manager that Wrye Smash, may have become if dedicated to modding Skyrim alone. Though MO is for all the same games, it's features have, until now, been designed for Skyrim, first and foremost.

MO v2+ will be designed, first and foremost for Fallout 4. Indeed. It's likely that MO v1.3+, will always be best for Skyrim. Due to some features being dropped, due to the move to 64-bit.

I really hope the Wrye Bash devs learn this lesson. Whether it's source is Wrye Flash (F3 and NV) or Wrye Bash (Oblivion and bare bones Skyrim), they must develop it for Fallout 4 first and foremost as well.

It's a great old manager and can be again, I want to see it compete with MO. I will choose the one I think best for Fallout 4. I criticize MO's failings, just as harshly as Wrye's, because I want both to improve.

Sadly Wrye Bash for Skyrim was a failure, in my opinion. I want many great managers too choose from this time, not just one, including one based on Wrye's masterpiece.

If you don't want to put plugins.txt read only all the time, rename fallout4launcher to anythng, and rename fallout4.exe to fallout4launcher.exe, then game will start without launcher and your plugins.txt won't be reset. Doing this causes no issues (probably need to change back before updating game or maybe not) and steam overlay, achievements work.