Applying Enchantments to a weapon?

Bannock

Hey all.

I'm having a little trouble figuring this one out. It's easy to make Magic Effects and use them for a custom Enchantment, then whack it on a piece of gear. A popular one is life detect on hats or goggles and whatnot. What I can't get working, however, is doing the same thing for a weapon.

It all goes fine, no crashes, no issues, it just doesn't do anything.

I'm using a constant effect targeting self, and have even made a working enchantment on a piece of armor for test purposes and put that enchantment on a weapon, nothing at all.

Is there some requirement I'm missing, some other way I need to do this for weapons, or am I just going about things wrong and I'm not supposed to be doing this?

I thought I could do this without issue for Skyrim, but I might just be misremembering things.

Oh yes, and while I have you here reading this, adding a condition to an effect that requires a certain piece of gear to be equipped simply crashes the game if you don't have it equipped. I would've thought the effect just wouldn't trigger without it, but apparently not. Any advice on this one, also?

Thanks for any help and friendly advice. =)