[Mod] Appetites - Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue

Khormin

Appetites

Eat, drink, and be merry!

You know, I don't know about you, but when I saw "Survival" mode in Fallout 4, I was excited. Finally! A realism option, right out of the box! Bethesda, you've truly outdone yourself.

Then I played the game, and found that I did not need food, sleep, or even water to 'survive'. Not that they're important in the real world, amirite?

Well, this changes that. Hunger, thirst, and fatigue are no longer things the Survivor is completely impervious to!

The way that Appetites approaches this is quite simple; eating, drinking, and sleeping each apply their own respective buffs with a length roughly to the time required between each - sixteen hours for sleeping, six for eating, two for drinking. Going without these buffs is fairly dangerous, causing a reduction in Action Points, lower carrying capacities, aiming penalties, and more. Certain foods apply these buffs longer than others - Sugar Bombs won't sustain you as long as a well-cooked radstag steak now, will it?

As these are applied buffs, rather than 'addictions', this means you can be as free as you like with your "Addict-o-lol" (inside joke, sorry) without worrying that you've just made yourself somehow impervious to dehydration in the process.

So, what are you waiting for? Slap this down into your load list through the mod manager (my recommended method), and start surviving!

What do you guys think? I thought I'd post it here to get your input first. Almost done with the beta I'm working on, though there was a lot more food in the game than I had thought <_<

Amazing how New Vegas hardcore mode already had realistic needs and FO4 doesn't. Another glaring omission modders will once again have to correct.

I also liked the other features that came with hardcore mode: stimpacks didn't magically heal crippled limbs, and that companions can die... stakes significantly raised.

As for your mod, it will most likely be another must have for me. Can't wait to try it out.

The GECK will be necessary to alter .nifs and likely to repackage .ba2s. I haven't had to do either so far, just new buff references.

As for companions dying, my mod "Mortality" should work then, though remember that Bethesda hardcoded a lot of tweaks for various quests which overrides anything I can do.

Have had to break for a couple of days thanks to broken air conditioner and even more broken heat wave >_<

Appetites is at 0.08a, and not release worthy yet - having some issues with the core adjustments to base health & carrying capacity not returning on drinking, eating, and sleeping, and haven't had the time in the office to troubleshoot yet. Apparently we'll have an air temp lower than our body temp shortly.

Taking a new approach to the mod's initial trigger; just need to work out how to add a status effect to a quest in xEdit, and I'll be ready to release to beta testing.

Script-free so far. I'm trying to get this started as a trigger, though it's harder to test with the new launcher (Thanks, Bethesda).

Update (9th Dec): Meant 'script-free' as in 'not F4SE dependent' as yet.

As for modder's notes:

• Still trying to get the "Appetites" quest to trigger as Survivor leaves the cryo chamber. Have appended quest to the event without success yet - need more time to isolate if this is because appending failed or if launcher was playing with me. Quest fires properly if launched via console command.
  • Adjusting values for "HungerIncrease" ('hunger' timer by X points per game hour) from to 4 to 5. Otherwise pretty happy with hunger effects, don't envision needing further changes. Hunger effects begin at 3 hours mark, progresses at 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours.
  • Might need to adjust starting 'hunger' total to allow more time for the Survivor to find food, but you really don't get to eat before running off.
  • Adjusting values for "ThirstIncrease" ('thirst' timer by X points per game hour) from 6 to 10, reflective of 'dry' landscape and increased likelihood of dehydration. Want to instead lower default thirst markers but doing so tends to accidentally kill the Survivor by dehydration when they sleep. Oops. Dehydration effects begin at 3 hours mark, progresses at 8 hours, 18 hours, 36 hours.
  • No adjustment for "FatigueIncrease" ('sleep' timer by X points per game hour) needed, keeping at 5. Was lucky, got good values on first guesstimate.
  • Possible in future - adding a modifier to sprint usage to add to 'sleep' timer as reflection of accumulative exhaustion.
  • Adjusted stage 1 & 2 of fatigue to reflect metrics from studies on biorhythms. Sleep needs progress at 8, 16, 36, 72 hour brackets.
  • Possible in future - recurring chance for hallucination gas effects at 36 hour bracket+.
  • Added temporary HungerIncrease DietIncrease acceleration to Sugar Bombs, ThirstIncrease to NukaCola varieties. Eating sugary crap makes you hungrier faster, and caffeine makes you thirstier, who knew?
  • Added "DrunkIncrease", "DrunkTotal", and six states of inebriation to mix, allowing for alcohol tracking on top of dehydration, fatigue, and starvation. Currently static values that do not account for body mass, Endurance, poison resistance, and experience with drinking. Progresses at 1/3/5/10/15 drinks.
  • Future - Adjust to incorporate Endurance, Poison Resistance, and tolerance.
  • Added "DietIncrease", "DietTotal", and four states of tracking for making sure that you eat your tatos and silt beans like good boys and girls. Progresses at 60/90/120 days. Yay, scurvy!
  • Added mild thirst replenishment to soups, raw meats, raw tatos, and raw mutfruit.
  • Adjusted some values to be of amusement to data miners seeking to reverse engineer.
  • Added values to allow easy transition once GECK released.

Future plans:

• Spoilage
  • Exertion increases fatigue rate
  • Hallucinations from sleep deprivation
  • Alcohol tolerance
  • Remove Herobrine

Looks as though the hijacked & replaced quest (X Out of Time) doesn't want to fire off, despite having the game's own conditionals set.

My options are to either look at what I can do with F4SE or wait for GECK. I'll play around with SE when I get a moment tonight.