NMM not installing (Textures,Meshes,materials,Interface) files in DATA Folder. (using Symlink)

BrBoomr

I have no clue how many of you have had this issue with Symlinks.

Fallout 4 is installed in my SSD (C: Drive) and have a Symlink to my HDD (E: Drive).

Recently, it has come to my attention that a new .ini configuration was to be done, and so I did that. [bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 && sResourceDataDirsFinal=].

My problem existed BEFORE this .ini configuration, and I hoped that it would fix it. It did not.

Basically, whenever I install a mod that also has "loose files" (if that's the proper term), meaning textures and other misc. stuff, these files will NOT install in their folders. For example, the mod "Expanded Workbenches" has its own .esp files, WHICH DO INSTALL IN MY DATA FOLDER. However, any textures along with it (Fallout 4\Data\textures\Crafting Workbenches) will NOT appear.

Before beginning this thread, I tried getting a bit complex with my virtual folders.

On NMM, I went over to the Virtual Folder Setup. I noticed there was an option that lets you have a multi-HD Install. This was exactly what I needed, I thought.

However, it will not allow me to pick the folder in which I normally install my mods in. Both the Data and Fallout 4 folders were not permitted. (not allowed in same folder as plugins, and not allowed "Link Directory equal to game root folder and mod install folder"). Immediately afterwards, all my mods are uninstalled and re-installed, where the crash occurs and I'm left with only a couple of mods.

So I decided to pick a random folder that appeared in my E: HDD. The folder is for the [Nexus Mod Manager>Fallout 4>Install Info, Mods]

inside of the mods folder I find the mods that successfully installed during the crash mentioned beforehand.

So now I am in shambles. Most of the mods I installed have been deleted, "loose files" still don't install properly, and I am left with a broken game that I have to re-install for the next 7 hours.

I'll come back in 7 hours, so I would appreciate any help before I royally screw up my game folders again. I can't trust NMM anymore, and Mod Managers for Fallout 4 are outright useless.

I should mention that I tried installing a Pip-Boy recolor mod to overwrite the previous one I had. In its designated texture folders, ALL of the .dds files were DELETED (from the previous mod) and none were installed (from the new mod). This has happened with any other mods that have the same folders for textures, meshes, interface, etc.

[sOLVED]:

As always, when all else fails, a full re-install of everything will fix all your problems. I stopped using Symlink, VirtualInstall is on my SSD, all else on HDD. Thank you for the kind and helpful people in the Chat for helping me out. Cheers.

Edited by BrBoomr

I've got the same problem right now. It appears NMM has problems with symlinked folders.

I use SteamMover to move my active games to an SSD. Under steamapps, the Fallout 4 folder is linked to a different drive. When it's set this way NMM can manage plugins but anything that requires managing loose files fail. It will create the folder structure but none of the files get copied so the mods aren't actually loaded when the game is started.

Once I use SteamMover to move the Fallout 4 directory back to my HDD. NMM works as expected.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

has anyone found a resolution for this issue yet? I believe im experiencing the same issue, as i have fallout 4 installed in steamapps on my G:\ drive, not the regular C:\

I get the .esp files in the right place but \Fallout4\Data\Textures meshes audio etc have the file path created but no actual .dds or whatever else files inside them.

What do? :)

I have been having the exact same problem for over a week now. Searches for a solution, while abundent with ideas, have not solved my problem. I mentioned in another post regarding this issue that my belief (I am not a mod maker) the files are being stuck in the wrong folders. I had no problems until the addon game, Far Harbor, was released. It is my understanding (not necessarly a correct understanding) that NMM had changes made to accomodate Far Harbor. If that is true then that is probably why I have these problems since I have not purchased nor installed Far Harbor as yet.

My position, at this juncture, is to have these issues fixed before I commit to Far Harbor. I did have a discussion with the folks at Bethesda and convinced me that the issues are not caused by them.

So that brings us back to NMM. Before Far Harbor's release it worked fine but since?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have found a solution or a workaround, simply run nexus mod manager as administrator and it will install mods again. Let me know if it works.

For me this trick repaired my non working mod update function. Many thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...