Can't find Fallout4custom.ini

Bubblejuiceman

that is fine.

You're right, it did create the custom file. However the only lines inside were these:

[Archive]
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

that is fine. The Fallout4Custom.ini is only a extension of the "regular" fallout4.ini

But even with that file the mods did not apply in game. Although NMM says everything doing fine in terms of files.

that is fine.

You're right, it did create the custom file. However the only lines inside were these:

[Archive]
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

that is fine. The Fallout4Custom.ini is only a extension of the "regular" fallout4.ini

But even with that file the mods did not apply in game. Although NMM says everything doing fine in terms of files.

Ok so it finally works! This is how I did it. After your mod applied the Fallout4custom.ini file, I added a few lines to the file:

[Display]

iLocation X=0
iLocation Y=0
[Archive]
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
After that you just reapply the mods on NMM (they are stil checked green so I needed to uncheck and then re check them).
And it worked! :D
Thank you very much for your help everyone! (Especially FLOW)
Edited by Bubblejuiceman

I can't get mods to work without this file.

You dont need this file to make mod (loose files) to work. The Fallout4custom.ini is nothing special, it is just an override to the fallout4.ini. Basically you can have the same ini settings in both files, but the Fallout4custom.ini have a higher priority, so everthing that is in both inis gets overriden by the setting in the Fallout4custom.ini.
- the Fallout4custom.ini is created with the start of the game Fallout4.exe
- you dont need Fallout4custom.ini to make loose file mods work
- the massage you get from NMM is just a general warning massage. The NMM only scans the Fallout4custom.ini and ignoring the fallout4.ini settings. So if you have modified the necessary items, NMM will keep nagging, But you can ignore it.
- you can apply the ini modifiaction also to the fallout4.ini and it will work
Or you can use my tool to enable mods as loose files, it will do the ini modification automatically.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2772/?

I will upload an updated version later today, to fix the NMM nagging. :smile:

Great answer, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

You dont need this file to make mod (loose files) to work. The Fallout4custom.ini is nothing special, it is just an override to the fallout4.ini. Basically you can have the same ini settings in both files, but the Fallout4custom.ini have a higher priority, so everthing that is in both inis gets overriden by the setting in the Fallout4custom.ini.
- the massage you get from NMM is just a general warning massage. The NMM only scans the Fallout4custom.ini and ignoring the fallout4.ini settings. So if you have modified the necessary items, NMM will keep nagging, But you can ignore it.
Or you can use my tool to enable mods as loose files, it will do the ini modification automatically.

So I went ahead and used your mod with the one click option. Sadly my mods still do not activate in my game. :sad:

I also tried the othre version of your mod and it also didn't work.. :sad:

However, this is not to say your mod didn't do what it was supposed to, it edited my files and NMM recognized it, but according to NMM tutorial the new fallout 4 update requires editing the Fallout4Custom.ini instead of the Fallout4.ini

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I clicked on the DL button and I had the .ini in half a second.

• 3 weeks later...

Please help me. I'm afraid I don't understand your instructions here. I too do not have a "Fallout4custom.ini" file. How do I get it again? I used that link in the search, but no file with "custom" came up.

EDIT: I started the game again, just to be sure, and also checked the file integrity, but no "Fallout4custom.ini shows up.

EDIT2: I copied/pasted the 3 lines into the "Fallout4" folder. The mods lnstalled with NMM. I guess I'll find out if I messed it up.

• 1 month later...

You can actually recreate the Fallout4Custom.ini document yourself. Just create a copy of the Fallout4.ini document and rename it, then delete all the text that is in your renamed copy because as of right now the only thing that needs to be in it is:

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

@Trog - You must start the game the first time using the Steam Launcher. It will say it is detecting video. That is when it creates the custom ini - The custom is created based on what it finds on YOUR computer - that is why we do not recommend trying to use a pre-made ini. Who knows what hardware the guy that created the ini had or whether it is anywhere near compatible with your computer. Then , when you get into the actual game, make a permanent save to be sure the ini is actually saved. After that save, you can launch any way you prefer and the ini will work.

Now find the ini and BACK IT UP! before making any changes. To back it up, copy it to a folder outside of the game folder. Preferably make a folder for things like that.

Just wanted to send a well deserved "Thank You" to FI0W for the least painful modding experience since installing Fallout 4 last week.

The Fallout4Custom.ini file magically appeared and the ease of installation was gratefully appreciated thanks to you. Thanks.

BB1

• 1 month later...

So I installed NMM, and here we go, it wants the custom ini. Game version is 1.4.

I uninstalled NMM and the game, then reinstalled it from steam and installed NMM again. Then I start the game the first time using the Steam Launcher, it said it is detecting video. NMM still wants the custom ini.

I launched the game, changed some settings, started a new game, made a save and then quitted. NMM still wants the custom ini.

I double checked ingame and launcher settings, yes, they were saved, and no, the game saved them without creating the custom ini, I only have Fallout4Prefs and Fallout4 inis in my My games\Fallout4 folder.

Then I found this thread and manually created the custom ini. Finally NMM got what it wants. You know, since the game perfectly runs without that file, at least after version 1.4, maybe NMM should actually create it if it wants it so much?

• 1 month later...

Absolute legend