Windows 10 hate topic

Wouter445

I don't see anything wrong with Windows 10 after the initial phase of getting the OS setup to run how I want. I disabled or uninstalled all the features I didn't want (pretty much everything), and now the OS runs pretty lean. No cortana, no onedrive, no windows defender, no apps, all "spying" features disabled, anything that sends MS data is disabled. I got the pro version, so I can download the updates when I want.

I don't see anything wrong with Windows 10 after the initial phase of getting the OS setup to run how I want. I disabled or uninstalled all the features I didn't want (pretty much everything), and now the OS runs pretty lean. No cortana, no onedrive, no windows defender, no apps, all "spying" features disabled, anything that sends MS data is disabled. I got the pro version, so I can download the updates when I want.

better educate your self good sir,

when proposed updates longer then a year you will loss your (update rights) also micro$oft say in public spyware features can't not be disabled. even when you turn them off.

it still send data back to microsoft.

only Enterprise Version will be total spyware free, *so they say*

Nice read about how little Miro$oft care about it's customers, ones read it can't be unread.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/microsoft-may-have-your-encryption-key-heres-how-to-take-it-back/?ref=yfp

Nothing at all new or scary here - just like the article's lead-in says. Just yet another piece of your digital footprint that, at least in the USA, can be accessed via court order - that's been business as usual for years and years.

Windows 10 Pro doesn't allow full control over forced updates as did Windows XP-7; only the Enterprise LTSB does that. Similar for telemetry - only Enterprise allows all telemetry services to be disabled, so your machine is still phoning home (and often via unencrypted channels) to report usage data, logging information, etc (they're extremely unclear about what, specifically, it is logging and reporting, how that data is handled, etc). The Update process also does (as in this has been documented and it exists in the EULA) remove applications that don't comport with Microsoft's vision of your computer (e.g. they have already been caught removing speccy and CPU-Z, and re-setting default application preferences back to Microsoft utilities (which is an EXPLICIT violation of the stipulations of their anti-trust restrictions)).

Sources: http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-removes-some-desktop-programs-during-install-496120.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-automatically-reinstalls-all-previously-removed-apps-496165.shtml

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150902/PC05/150909997/1052/3-windows-10-privacy-gotchas

• 1 month later...

I have a hilarious trump card regarding all these surveillance concerns.

When I first ordered my computer a few years ago, I forgot to buy the internal wireless adapter along with all the other parts. It simply never occured to me; it was the first time I did this.

On realising my mistake, I traipsed all the way to the nearest electronics shop and bought myself an External Wireless Adapter USB stick. If I don't want any data sent to Microsoft, of any kind, I just remove the stick.