Accept Harkon's gift or not?

pgir001

Almost invariably, I do not. I usually enjoy playing an archer of some sort. Most of my builds involve marksman to a heavy degree. To me, a Tempered Dwarven Crossbow, offers more than the VL Form. But that's subjective and based on play style. That said, modding changes everything. Better Vampires, Royal Bloodline and Dark Maneuvers look pretty formidable together. I'm trying these mods out but something feels off about being a Vampire. It's not the mods and it's not the VL form lacking power. I think finally put my finger on why I am a powerful Vampire, but don't feel like one. Skyrim is simply not designed for it. If we look at the conversation with Parturnaax, he reveals what I believe is one of the foundations for the entire game.

"Alduin took domination as his birthright."

Further in the discussion, he goes on to say that the desire to dominate is in the nature of all Dov. The Dovahkiin is not expempt. For the Dragonborn, I imagine there is a balance that has been achieved between the desire for domination and, (I'll use the term broadly to include Beast and Mer) Humanity. But what happens when that balance is lost? When that "humanity" is gone? Mixing blood with a pure blooded vampire? One who's blood comes directly from the Daedric Lord of Dominiation? This is like a picture of 2 big kids sitting on the same side of s Sea Saw. A Dragonborn Vampire Lord, to me, would be the ultimate expression of "Domination" this side of Cold Harbor. (And even then)

"I offer you my blood. Take it, and you will walk as a lion among sheep. Men will tremble at your approach, and you will never fear death again."

And yet, I still have to hide my vampirism and play the part of the hero of Skyrim.

What's missing is the option to not hide being a Vampire. Sure the good people of Skyrim will reject the Dragonborn. I'm certain they'd want to see him/her dead and deny the "Hero of Legend" ever returned...........At 1st. But they'd learn........or else.

OK, so, what do others choose? What's everyone else's preference? (And why?) Here's a HUGE factor in my decision to stay with the DG. Tempered Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow + Elemental Fury

(If you haven't tried this........well, try it.). I know I can get the X-Bow and let Serana make me a VL. But there are other factors too.I can understand being a Vampire Lord that it changes things up a bit and adds some new mechanics you your game, to give you different ways to play but, like the werewolf, It's ultimately too limiting and frankly less powerful. Unless I'm doing it wrong, that is. I've used BV, but even then, as I moved up in to the 30s for levels, all I did there was use the mod negate the weaknesses and never use the VL form much after. OK, well, I did set the hunters to the max number and used them for my scheduled feeding times. LOL. BV, gives some pretty OP passives if you set it. But I still loved to sneak around and snipe with the X-Bow. Although, there was something to be said for sneak feeding instead of backstabbing.

• 1 month later...

As a heavy roleplayer, it's been hard to me. I've been thinking - "by the Eight, what to do, what to do, what to do? If I accept my friends at Dawnguard will kill me! If I reject, this guys can kill me this very instant! Holy crap! Oh, why didn't I ever listen to Lydia? Well, okay, here it goes -" And I said "What if I don't accept?". And so it went, I chose to stay with Dawnguard. But still I became a vampire to enter Soul Cairn xD

I like the idea of being a vampire, but it also felt very off to me when I was playing, and I always found myself getting more irritated by the debuffs from daylight rather than accepting them because I had some cool vampire powers. In the end, I didn't really use vampirism much, and I like the extra benefits that go with the Dawnguard. Plus, at least half of the guys in the Volkihar castle are total pricks. I say get the "Undeath" mod if you want some cool necromancer powers.

Plus, as a character who also really likes marksmanship, the Dwarven crossbow is nice.

Edited by mrsmexythebeast

There are mods for whatever shortcomings or things people would like to fine tune with regards to vampirism or lycanthropy. So, your choice, mods are always here.

i like to invent my own ways of playing

for example the current one is a breton based character but was left off at the vigilants doorstep my character uses the vampire drain but shows no sign of vampire like character so the vigilant are sort off using her as a way to fight what they carnt in future when she meets the VL it awakens her inate powers as a full blood born vampire but still has personality the she has always had so technically a Heroic VL style that actually fights against all the vampires warewolfs and deadra etc