[PLANNED MOD] Settlement complete overhaul

Rorymc123

As we all know the settlement building in Fallout 4 is fun, but is pretty limited without mods, I plan to remove any restrictions of the feature.

Planned Features

• More placeable objects
  • Scrap-able dead things
  • Vertical rotating
  • Remove the red placement restriction
  • The ability to clean settlements
  • Make Qunicy a settlement
  • Make other new settlements (Open to suggestion)
  • Fix home plate, so that Companions can be sent there
  • Make the rubble and the castle separate models so it can be scrapped
  • Snapping hotkey
  • Remove settlement size limit ​
  • Some form of list to keep track of settlers
  • Ability to send provisioners on more than 1 supply line at one time, and Provisioner tracking.
  • THIS IS NOT A FULL LIST OF ALL PLANNED FEATURES I WILL BE ADDING TO THIS

Keep in mind I'm not a scripter, so I plan on having some help with this mod, anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Rorymc123

I am also planning to overhaul the settlement system when the CK is finally there. I think it would be a good idea to join forces, I am a programmer by trade, scripting is no problem for me.

My currently planned features are:

• Fix that damn settlement scripts, they are buggy and incomplete.
  • Fix that damn settlement attacks, especially the spawn points, their placement is not reasonable at all.

I don't know how hard it will be but when you get propper mod tools you should try to make the settlement building more like in the sims.

You should also consider letting players upgrade objects to make them better. Using paint and glass to make the doors look new. Upgrade walls with electricity so that they act as conductors so that you only need to attatch an external wire at one point of a building no matter how large it is, as long as the wall sections are snap-joined together.

Letting us fix the bridge at sancutary and/or replace it with a metal, stone or concrete bridge.

Also, let us scrap the hedges and all buildings.

Surely the problem with 'settlements' is that they pull in three completely opposed directions.

1) let the player cut loose with wild building imagination that pays no regard to game mechanisms whatsoever (settlements as exercises as CAD designs)

2) Settlement building as 'The Sims' with success determined by the purpose of the 'Little Computer People' (settlers)

3) Settlement as part of the greater game world, with gameplay integration with the rest of the map and story-lines

Beth themselves clearly struggled with the idea of exactly which one the settlements were supposed to serve.

But it gets WORSE. Better 'story' mods would seriously benefit from being able to rebuild entire settlement regions with pre-determined 'towns', taking away the abilty of the user to alter those areas. I mean, at the moment a brilliant mod like iNPC (interesting NPCs) for Skyrim would be impossible for FO4, due to the lack of locational definition in the vanilla game. But if co-ordinated meta-mods were allowed to imposed better regional definition on the vanilla map by taking over and developing settlement areas with fully functioning towns (like we had all over Skyrim), placing 'story' mods in the FO4 world would become infinitely easier.

Settlement building mods would obviously be useful to the meta-mods for constructing the 'fixed' new settlement towns that would act as a base for stroy mods. What worries me is the need for insane levels of co-operation between the most ambitious modders of FO4 if FO4 is ever to see the same degree of ambitious mods that Skyrim eventually had.

I enjoy messing about with settlement building as much as the next person, but know such can never add to the 'story' of the game. FO4 badly needs more fixed 'meeting' locations (like the pubs and inns of Skyrim) and where can they easily go unless the settlement regions are subverted for this purpose. Attempting to repurpose boarded-up buildings wouldn't work, because they are usually in active combat zones.

I am going to be very interested to see where FO4 ends up in two years time, because the need for co-ordinated modding on FO4 is at a level beyond anything seen with Skyrim (where the best mods only had to maintain a nodding aquantance with one another at worst). I think the issue of settlements is going to prove to be one very hot potato to long term ambitious modding plans.

What i would like to see most is your settlers doing all the work or at least the ground work. Once you unlock a settlement first thing you have to do is make sure there is food and water and a recruitment beacon.

Once the number of settlers reaches X you can order them to start cleaning up the settlement and put up some basic defenses.

After X days the settlers themselves will have cleaned up, build a basic scrap wall as a first line of defense. After that you can start expanding the settlement yourself at a moment convenient for you without worrying they are vulnerable.

Attacks also really need to be rescripted so the settlers can take care of it themselves. I have settlements with 400 defense in turrets, 20 settlers in heavy combat armor with max damage modified combat rifles, missile launchers and fatmans, and i still need to go there to kill 2 raiders/supermutants/gunners/etc.

A Tinker Tom or Sturges recruitable for settlements to do auto repairs after attacks, only informing you when they run out of material to repair stuff.

Only thing for the player should be to build the expansion beyond the initial basic defenses.

Make sure every settlement is supplied by setting up trade routes.

Provide better equipment to settlers.

Assign tasks to settlers.

At one point more extensive and larger attacks, calculated by settlement size, food, power, defense, water, happiness, can happen and only then are you called upon to help (20-30-xx attackers)

Homemaker and DDproductions pretty much already covered the rest without the CK, once the CK is released they will expand, just make sure that whatever else.you do.is compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

As we all know the settlement building in Fallout 4 is fun, but is pretty limited without mods, I plan to remove any restrictions of the feature.

Planned Features

• More placeable objects
  • Scrap-able dead things
  • Vertical rotating
  • Remove the red placement restriction
  • The ability to clean settlements
  • Make Qunicy a settlement
  • Make other new settlements (Open to suggestion)
  • Fix home plate, so that Companions can be sent there
  • Make the rubble and the castle separate models so it can be scrapped
  • Snapping hotkey
  • Remove settlement size limit ​
  • Some form of list to keep track of settlers
  • Ability to send provisioners on more than 1 supply line at one time, and Provisioner tracking.
  • THIS IS NOT A FULL LIST OF ALL PLANNED FEATURES I WILL BE ADDING TO THIS

Keep in mind I'm not a scripter, so I plan on having some help with this mod, anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated

Hey dude I have't had internet for a week so sorry for the late reply, if you add me on Steam we can talk futher. here's my steam link http://steamcommunity.com/id/ScottishGaming

Surely the problem with 'settlements' is that they pull in three completely opposed directions.

1) let the player cut loose with wild building imagination that pays no regard to game mechanisms whatsoever (settlements as exercises as CAD designs)

2) Settlement building as 'The Sims' with success determined by the purpose of the 'Little Computer People' (settlers)

3) Settlement as part of the greater game world, with gameplay integration with the rest of the map and story-lines

Beth themselves clearly struggled with the idea of exactly which one the settlements were supposed to serve.

But it gets WORSE. Better 'story' mods would seriously benefit from being able to rebuild entire settlement regions with pre-determined 'towns', taking away the abilty of the user to alter those areas. I mean, at the moment a brilliant mod like iNPC (interesting NPCs) for Skyrim would be impossible for FO4, due to the lack of locational definition in the vanilla game. But if co-ordinated meta-mods were allowed to imposed better regional definition on the vanilla map by taking over and developing settlement areas with fully functioning towns (like we had all over Skyrim), placing 'story' mods in the FO4 world would become infinitely easier.

Settlement building mods would obviously be useful to the meta-mods for constructing the 'fixed' new settlement towns that would act as a base for stroy mods. What worries me is the need for insane levels of co-operation between the most ambitious modders of FO4 if FO4 is ever to see the same degree of ambitious mods that Skyrim eventually had.

I enjoy messing about with settlement building as much as the next person, but know such can never add to the 'story' of the game. FO4 badly needs more fixed 'meeting' locations (like the pubs and inns of Skyrim) and where can they easily go unless the settlement regions are subverted for this purpose. Attempting to repurpose boarded-up buildings wouldn't work, because they are usually in active combat zones.

I am going to be very interested to see where FO4 ends up in two years time, because the need for co-ordinated modding on FO4 is at a level beyond anything seen with Skyrim (where the best mods only had to maintain a nodding aquantance with one another at worst). I think the issue of settlements is going to prove to be one very hot potato to long term ambitious modding plans.

The auto repair thing sounds pretty interesting, it'd be like hiring an engineer