Final dialogue with companions won't trigger

Katarsi

If I can pick up on what Thandal said, the content redeemable through Social BioWare with a purchase made through Origin creates folders in AddIns named after the official .dazip files (dao_prc_promo_1 etc.) - I don't have a disc, I installed with DAModder. The same is in AddIns when I install through DAUpdater. I only have three folders under C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age\offers. Not sure which ones. Still, an end user only installs into Override and AddIns (through DAUpdater or DAModder).

The points raised by Thandal and mcgoy regarding how the game loads stuff leave no doubts, I believe. What I would suggest is doing a clear installation from scratch - as the OP stated the saves have been deleted anyway - and then install mods one by one, reading the readmes with great care, possibly splitting them into groups (appearance - meaning hairstyles, textures and such - equipment, fixes for bugs and dialogue, morphs and so on) and using DAModder to keep better track of what is installed. I'm afraid the OP reached the point of no return in regard of this. Figuring out what messed this up will be more difficult if the current configuration is kept. I'd just do the reinstallation as mentioned. Then go through the game and make sure no darkspawn are left as per DwainDibley's advice. And never try to install ZRS with ZDF as it's not going to work, regrettably.

If you have enough space, you could create some virtual machines to allow various mod configurations. For instance one VM for mods pertaining to each LI you intend to run at one time, a "slim" version (for instance now I have such an environment for betatesting while keeping the original "canonical" playthrough of mine with lots of various mods on another machine), this sort of thing. It will allow you to maximise your chances of running the mods without such hiccups.

<snip>

If you have enough space, you could create some virtual machines to allow various mod configurations.

<snip>

Great idea. :cool: Won't work :confused:

DAO, like 1st Rank PC games, requires the full capability of a modern graphics card. The absolute maximum VRAM I've ever seen possible with a VM is 512MB. Woefully short of what's needed to run the game. :sad:

<snip>

If you have enough space, you could create some virtual machines to allow various mod configurations.

<snip>

Great idea. :cool: Won't work :confused:

DAO, like 1st Rank PC games, requires the full capability of a modern graphics card. The absolute maximum VRAM I've ever seen possible with a VM is 512MB. Woefully short of what's needed to run the game. :sad:

Ummmmm yes, it does. It must depend on the operating system and the software that creates the virtual instances, but....

iMac using Parallels, I have 3 virtual instances (could create more) of Windows 7. Two have the toolset installed. I primarily use two of the three instances. One I have the toolset installed and create mods; in the other, I don't have the toolset installed and can test my mods like a 'regular player'.

Running both at the same time is so horrifyingly slow so I couldn't run DAO on both at the same time. The virtual instances can exist, I could install different mods, and I could play DAO on the different set ups.

@mcgoy; Ok, ya' got me. :laugh:

Parallels is a special case. It doesn't work like a VM on a PC or server. It actually allows the full use of the "host" hardware by the "guest" OS. This violates one of the fundamental design tenants of most VMs: "Thou shalt not permit direct access to hardware."

In my (professional) world, there are very good reasons for that rule. In the Mac world, everything revolves around the single user and her own machine. :cool:

Much though I love my Mac - in the Mac world, everything revolves around 'not a PC' ;D They sometimes forget usability in favor of being different ;)

However, the ability to create multiple virtual environments using Parallels is one of their finest features! Open to abuse, but as long as I remember to focus on the environment that I'm in, it works beautifully.

THANKS EVERYONE! <3

All of you had provided a bunch of wonderfully useful information. I will return here and check it out when I decide to romance a specific character - with all wonderful mods installed of course - so I would prevent the mishap from before, or something similar.

MagdalenaDwojniak: That was a great help! Thank you for guidance regarding overlapping mods.

RIght now I'm blisfully courting Ser Gilmore and everything works as it should. There was only one peculiar hindrance, though... When talking to Caridin, Shale was out of the frame. I could only see a part of her body while she talked, and while Caridin was talking to her, his entire appearance was covered with her body. I have no idea why that happened. My companions were Shale, Ser Gilmore, Oghren and Extra Dog. And I was really careful while arranging all mods. First I had uninstalled all dazips except regular Bioware mods, cleaned out the entire override folder, cleaned up AddIns and data as well, and then installed only that which was necessary for full enjoyment of the game with Ser Gilmore mod. No conflicting mods, I swear. So you could say that it was another messed up dialogue - but only partly and only visually. The rest of the game works splendidly.

Ideas?

Edited by Katarsi

@Thandal, @mcgoy: what mcgoy's describing is what I was suggesting. Still, this is only something a really tech-savvy person should attempt. A typical end-user... no.

@Katarsi: it is great to hear your game is (mostly) working correctly :). The thing with Shale... Is this like she was turned into those unchiselled golems? The kind you see in the opening cutscene when you start a game and Duncan talks about the fall of the dwarven empire? I remember seeing this happen to her during the endgame sequence on some person's video, and it is a bug of some renown. Do you have a screenshot? What order is your party arranged in (this is, say, Oghren in the first companion slot, Rory in the second, Shale in the third and Dog in the extra slot)? I think it could be some camera shot issue. Something like that happened a few times when trying out Morrigan the Elf. She was simply a tad too short for the camera settings of some cutscenes and through most of the Flemeth cutscene, she kept giving the others "I'm onto you" look as she was only visible from her eyes and up.

@Magdalena:

Sadly, I don't have a screenshot, didn't think of that at the time. But no, Shale doesn't look like those golems; she looks like herself actually - or at least I think so, since only her shoulder is showing (or some other part of her body, I could only see her stony surface and her crystals). And I don't remember the order of companions, but I think Shale was 2nd, Ser Gilmore 1st, and Oghren 3rd. Also, I tried unsummoning the Dog before the dialogue, and the same thing occurred, no change whatsoever.

Anyway... I have another issue regarding my current gameplay. I'm at the point where my Cousland Warden meets Arl Howe in the dungeon. The Extra Dog slot was uninstalled before traveling to Denerim and to Arl Eamon's estate. Everything was peachy. To save queen Anora, I gathered Alistair, Ser Gilmore and Zevran (in that order). However, when we met Arl Howe in the dungeon, Ser Gilmore didn't say anything to him. And right after I slayed the traitorous bastard, I clicked on Rory and he said that "he wished he was there when Howe was slain", along with other frustrated lines.....and he was standing right there next to Howe's corpse. :mellow: What the heck?!? How many times do I have to suffer failed dialogues?!?

Ahem. So my point is, should Rory talk to Howe at all during that final moment? In the description of the mod it says that Ser Gilmore is supposed to have a conversation with him.

For all the previous problems, at least I had some idea of what would be the cause. Now I'm clueless. :sad:

Edited by Katarsi

As far as I know, Ser Gilmore doesn't say anything when Howe is being killed and doesn't realize that he was present when Howe is killed.

It isn't a failed dialogue, the mod author just didn't override that particular conversation