WIP IOU [Ignacio's Oblivion Undying]

garekman

Hello there, people. Uhm... I think I've never even got into the forums all the years I've been registered in Nexus site, and I don't know how to start... So, ehr... let's just give a little introduction to who I am and what I'm here for and then let's get to the point.

So my nickname here is garekman, but as you can see from the title, my true name is not that. I've been on Nexus for a few years, but only to download some mods (mostly TES/Fallout mods). English is not my native language, and I'm not even very good at it, so please bear with me if sometimes I cannot explain myself properly. I'm quite a fan of TES and FallOut games, and I love RPGish elements and diversity, and a bit of a challenge in my games. I've always liked to fiddle with the creation kit, but never really got to understand or use it correctly, leaving aside my complete lack of knowledge about computers, programming or scripting, so I've always had many ideas but never got to got them in motion.

Finally, though, I've gathered a bit of Willpower (scored 13 on 3d6) to put myself to work and I'm slowly creating a mod which pretends to be an Oblivion Overhaul, starting with the basics and keeping a change log and detailed info, just to know what I've been doing and to make sure I do not mess my mod up and such. So I've decided to start a thread to "announce" it and ask for feedback or advice on it.

I'll be detailing and explaining what I've done on the mod and the effects on the game, the things already done I have to fix in one way or another, and my plans for the mod in the short run. Starting now.

-------------------

[WIP] Ignacio's Oblivion Undying

Done:
-
Races:
·Attributes
now are distributed differently for a total of 240 points per race, ranging from 10 (very poor) to 50 (excels), some attributes differ in 5 points depending of gender.
·Skill modifiers are now distributed based on Races' Major and Minor Skills: 3 Major Skills which get a 20 points boost and 4 Minor Skills which get a 10 points boost, for a total of 100 points boost.

·Abilities are now listed as [insert Race] Heritage, including all of the strengths and weaknesses of its race, and some even have Powers or Lesser Powers, but always trying to keep balance and diversity.

·Height and weight are altered to match each race characters (according to my tastes) and offering more diversity.
·Affinities to each race have been expanded and altered, with -50 penalties (to dremora, only) to +10 bonuses.

Notes: Still need to check balance and abilities in order to (again) balance base stats among races.

-Attributes and skills:
·Governing attributes
have been changed to try and seem more realistic while keeping balance (will need a lot of time to check if it is achieved).
·Skill leveling have been tweaked to try to balance.

Notes: Some skills, like Atlethics, for example, are giving me trouble. Lowering the xp points gained by running would make it unbalanced for combat characters which rely on it a lot. Raising it (which I've done) implies that most people will level it up quickly even with races which would not be supposed to be well trained in physical exercises. To prevent that, I'd like to add stamina cost to running, but since I do not know how to do that, I've thought about adding much more content and detail to every place to keep the pace quiet while not making the walk boring. I also plan on improving the horses to encourage players to use them to travel instead of running.

-Birthsings:

·Powers are gone. Birthsing now will not grant special or lesser spells.

·New abilities now replace the older ones and the powers. All of them have been studied a bit to try and bring balance while adding to the different builds, and I think they're much better than the original ones.

-Spells:
·Starting Spells have been changged into Daily Powers to enhance roleplay and balance.

-Items:
·Apparatus' weight and value have been tweaked according to my tastes (I've no way to weigh an alembic) trying to resemble reality.

-Enemies:
·Rats now should provide a decent "challenge" to new characters and citizens while keeping them realistic (I don't think a lonely rat, not even a big one, could be able to kill even the weakest guy).
·Goblins now should be of a varying difficulty depending on its class. Wizards are lethal at range, Berserkers can do its damage on melee to untrained, non-melee combatants, while regular ones should be easy to deal with.

Fixes:

-Fixing abilities to bring balance to different races' stats, so that while bringing diversity and challenge for a unique gameplay, they keep being balanced and not granting much advantage to one race over other.

·Reduce Magicka pool for altmers since they're overpowered now.
-Goblins still need to be checked 'cause damage is not working correctly. Wizards do work fine, but Berserkers do very little damage.

To do list (short term):

-Enemies:
·Stats need to be changed.

-Items need so much to be tweaked. I've started weighting some elements to try and use correct weights (no more rat meat weighting 0.5 and torches weighting 0). Will also tweak values given that:

*Gold will be a luxury item. Items made of gold will increase its value wildly.
*Silver will not be nearly as much expensive as gold, but it will still be pricy.

*Magic items will be highly expensive, too, specially the greater ones, since I think magic should be something not everyone have access to.

*Armors and weapons will have differing qualities. Bad quality ones will be quite cheap, but offer penalities. Average ones will still be cheap, but will be fair simple. Good quality ones will be more expensive and efficient.

*Ingredients will be valued depending of its rarity, how difficult it is to get, the uses it might have or/and the effects it provides.

*Other items will still be valued, keeping in mind that almost every item has a function and value, so no more jars valueing 1 or so. Of course, this will make prices rocket for you, too, but in turn will encourage treasure hunting.

-Spells:
·Change effects and magicka cost of most (if not all) spells in game.
·Expand list of pre-made spells.

-Weapons:
·Revise all weapon sets stats to provide balance and variety.
·Change weight and value of different weapons to keep them more similar to reality.

-Armors:
·Revise all sets to provide balance and variety and try to resemble real protection (stat-wise).
·Change weight and value of different armors to keep them more similar to reality.
·If possible, add some effects to some kind of armors (like frost resistace to fur armor and such).

-Stuff:

·Details will be added to dungeons, cities, and the world itself, to make things more pretty (or creepy) and interesting. Right now my plans are for the tutorial dungeon and the Imperial City.

·A new room will be added to the first part of the tutorial dungeon, prior to the rat ambush. There'll be a skeleton with a key to the room, in which you'll be able to find different (bad quality) weapons and (basic) spells to choose from and start building your character towards what you want without having to use other unwanted skills, being killed by the rats and goblins or without me having to lower the difficulty to make it possible.

IMPORTANT!

-Currently there'll be a spanish version, but if someone could help me with translation, I would gladly make an english version too. So, for spanish version:

·Corregir las líneas de diálogo. Oblivion tiene una traducción horrible, y aunque sé que existen traducciones muy buenas, preferiría, ya que tengo el objetivo de hacer un repaso completo, incluir mi propia traducción en este mod.
·Properly translate it into spanish

------------------------

If anyone find this interesting and wants more details, I'll be glad to update it (with time). That's it. Any feedback, piece of advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Please, if anyone gets interested, do not expect this to be released anytime soon, since I have just began, I have a lot of other things to do (right now job, theatre, driving license, housework and friends/girlfriend) and I am a person who have difficulties with this kind of things, so If something gets wrong I may have to scratch my work and start working from a previosu version and such... And also, maybe one day I'll spend two or three hours on it, maybe one week I'll spend one (or even none), etc... I do this as a hobby, so if anyone is interested, please be SO patient. Oh, and since I'm starting, I may find that some goals I cannot achieve them (I promise I'll try hard if I find any problem), so some parts of the project may be dropped (I really hope it won't, but I am that kind of person that embarks on projects they don't know if they'll be able to finish).

No more talking, thanks a lot, whether you read it or not, comment it or not.

Edited by garekman

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a few very hard days (I have so little time to do anything...) I've managed to tweak some minor things such as ingredients (weight and value), clutter (weight and value) and some pieces of armor and weapons. Still need to revise them in order to make them more balanced and realistic, though. Also want to double check effects of ingredients.

I've also tweaked some spells, starting with both initial spells (Flare and the other) and turn them into Powers with minor effects (will post them later). Tweaked spells will need to be revised again, since I tested them with altmers and now the mix of both the new effects/cost and the fact that I made altmers more orientated towards magic make them extremely powerful (at least in the beggining). They can still die (if two rats catch you and you're not able to defeat them quick you can die, but is is unlikely to happen). I'll have to think very carefully about it.

But anyway, I've decided to upload the new Birthsigns I made so I can ask for feedback and such. Oh, and if any expert modder is looking, I could take an advice on how to manage files when modding. Currently I have three different files of the same (one for backup with checked and well-functioning data, one with WIP and another one with things I fear may break the game or something like that).

BIRTHSIGNS

The Apprentice: Fortify Magicka Multiplier by 30 (which I think triples the amount of magicka you have);; INT / WIL -10
The Atronach: Magicka Regain while sleeping nullified;; Elemental Resistance +50;; Magic Resistance +33
The Lady: Fortify Fatigue +25;; AGI / RES +10
The Lord: Weakness to Illness / Poison / Magic +50;; STR / RES / AGI / SPD / INT / WIL +5
The Lover: Fortify Health +25;; Restoration / Speechcraft +10
The Mage: Spell Reflection +33;; HArmor / LArmor / Armorer / Atlethics / Blade / Block / Blunt -10
The Ritual: Damage Reflection +10;; Weakness to Poison / Weapons +25
The Snake: Poison Inmunity;; AGI +5;; Alchemy +5;; PERS -10
The Shadow: Fortify Sneak +20;; LUC -10
The Steed: SPD / RES +15;; AGI / WIL -10
The Thief: LUC +20;; Security +10;; STR / INT -5
The Tower: Fortify Fatigue +50;; Fortify Block +20;; AGI -10
The Warrior: STR / RES +10;; Fortify Fatigue +25;; Fortify Health +50;; Restoration / Destruction / Conjuration / Illusion / Mysticism / Alteration / Alchemy / Sneak / Security -10

Also, the two starting spell changed into Powers:
The Prisoner: Previously known as Healing Wounds (I think); now it will Fortify Fatigue +25;; Fortify Health +10;; Fortify Magicka +20 for 60 seconds.
Today's Your Lucky Day: Previously known as Flare (I think); now it will Fortify Luck +10 for 120 seconds.

PS: I'll keep updating a bit for the next few days. If not interested or bothers here, please close it.

This is interesting. I feel like it might be quite fun to do a playthrough using the features included here, and hope you can get on with the To-do list since it's actually quite big and very hard to do!

My main language is spanish too, but I'm also very good at english, or I believe myself to be lol. If I can help at anything then feel free to PM me since I want to see something made out of this.

Thank you so much for your support, neromercer3000! It means a lot to see it. As I said, it is a WIP just started merely a few weeks ago, and it is making very slow progress, but it'll keep like that (even though lately it's been a tough week to work at it, since I have to study a lot for tomorrow and I also registered in a web to roleplay and I was using my free time to prepare my character).

Anyway, I'll be glad if by some point of the way, this mod proves to be useful or fun to anyone (even if it's just a little). For now, all I could ask you to do is testing the mod, but I think there's very little content to start with.

So I'll let you know whenever it is ready. And thank you so much again for offering!

• 1 month later...

Ok, they've been two months of hard work and a lot of projects, and I am grateful for it, but I'm getting busier lately, so this project is paused for now. I still have it in mind, I just don't know when I'll be able to work seriously on it. Thankfully I learnt to write down my ideas and such because a few years ago this would have sunk into Oblivion.