RobCo PDQ-99a Liberator (Restored Pre-war Prototype) (wip)

Sebviz

Hey peps!

I'm a long time lurker and user of the nexus mod community and I've decided to do a personal project in my spare time (I'm a professional 3d artist). Like all of you guys, I'm putting a lot of time in playing FO4 right now and pretty psyched and have been since it came out. This project of mine will mainly focus on getting a game-ready, low poly model ready for import into the GECK when it's available and they Idea is that if anyone feeling like trying to get it to actually be operable/ride-able in-game you are free to do so. I will do my best to provide any assistance in the endeavor :-)

Is it something people are interested in or should only hope for a portfolio piece?

anyways here's the concept I've made and my progress so far on the high-poly model:

24579679942_3136881bb4_b.jpg

24070626913_5b75d5783d_k.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea is definitely possible. There was a similar mod made for Fallout: New Vegas. And, worst case scenario, it could always make for a killer enemy-type.

By the way, really awesome design! I love the little terminal in the front! The only thing I'd point out is that it seems like it'd be a bit impractical for military use, considering there's no type of shielding in the front. Then again, it is a prototype, so maybe it was just never finished? ;)

Just an idea, but similarly to how PA currently exposes the frame as locations get destroyed, your current concept for the Liberator i think would make the most sense as the frame for armor to fit over, falling off as it takes heavy damage.

I took the liberty of making some crude armor design. Not saying it should look anything like what i did, just trying to show how stuff might fit over the frame

http://imgur.com/MNHv0II

I have to chime in here, first, the concept is great, original, and I like your progress- you know what you are doing.

I am also going to DEFINITELY agree with FlyingDebris here -- Using this as a sort of Power Armor frame base is a FANTASTIC idea. This could be RobCo's "competition" with the standard power armor, and you could make all sorts of interesting armor variants (Your quick sketch FlyingDebris actually looks pretty legit, and for a sketch, you're better at digital art than I can do in weeks working on it lol.)

I really, really, really encourage you to pursue that route -- its a mod I would eagerly get behind. Such a fantastic idea, I really think you should run with it!

Feel free to use the concept of it being RobCo's attempt to take over the militaries Power Armor contract, that just didn't finish in time or some such. Or dont. Just don't stop :P

Seriously, I am following up my own post to say, I really love the idea of this being a competitor for the power armor contract. It works so well in my opinion -- your design has a more, comfortable, look to it, as well as a size advantage allowing for some differences.

Since RobCo is also heavy into consumer protects, you could easily develop a back story where this was being promoted as a "working mans power armor" or a power armor for the physically disabled, yet RobCo was secretly pushing to develop a military function for it as well. The more I think on this, the more lore I could come up with lol.

I can't be the only one to like this idea... can I?

Something to consider. If this mech or power suit, whichever category it fits into, is gonna animate well, some things to keep in mind before you model too much further...

-What sort of weapons is it going to wield? Does it still have to use normal weapons or does it have its own custom weapons? Either way its going to affect the final look.

If it needs to use normal weapons, you'll have to make sure the mech hands can fit on normal weapons somehow from their current positions.

If it has its own weapons, you'll have to model those and figure out how they mount and how they look.

If it melees or punches, you'll have to make sure that its arms look good when animated.

-How is this going to move? It appears that this thing's torso is one solid piece, that might be a problem.

If you try to turn while moving, or aim upwards or downwards without a flexible spine, it might look really awkward. Basically try to imagine this thing moving 90° from where its aiming, and aiming high or low while doing it, to get a good idea of what sort of range of movement it'll probably need.

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Just an idea, but similarly to how PA currently exposes the frame as locations get destroyed, your current concept for the Liberator i think would make the most sense as the frame for armor to fit over, falling off as it takes heavy damage.

Regarding the design - When I first started on the concept art, FO4 hadn't come out yet, so all I had to go on was the concept material for FO3, and that's probably why it looks kinda rough and mechanical. I must say, I really love the idea of making it like a PA frame and then adding protection like you've sketched (fantastic sketch btw!). Definitely going that route!

-What sort of weapons is it going to wield? Does it still have to use normal weapons or does it have its own custom weapons? Either way its going to affect the final look.

If it needs to use normal weapons, you'll have to make sure the mech hands can fit on normal weapons somehow from their current positions.

If it has its own weapons, you'll have to model those and figure out how they mount and how they look.

If it melees or punches, you'll have to make sure that its arms look good when animated.

-How is this going to move? It appears that this thing's torso is one solid piece, that might be a problem.

If you try to turn while moving, or aim upwards or downwards without a flexible spine, it might look really awkward. Basically try to imagine this thing moving 90° from where its aiming, and aiming high or low while doing it, to get a good idea of what sort of range of movement it'll probably need.

I did some initial sketching of that hip-torso part to make it a bit easier to animate and less mechanical. It's a feature I've seen on a couple of robots in FO4 (the Assaultron ect.) It's like a sheet of plastic, wrapped around the mechanical parts. It looks a bit MGS-like to me.

All good points. A lot of work ahead :-)

24100284674_0eebe91fc2_b.jpg

Edited by Sebviz

I did some initial sketching of that hip-torso part to make it a bit easier to animate and less mechanical. It's a feature I've seen on a couple of robots in FO4 (the Assaultron ect.) It's like a sheet of plastic, wrapped around the mechanical parts. It looks a bit MGS-like to me.

Good idea, i hadn't considered that. Yeah, having a flexible dust cover looking surface over joints does look pretty cool and would be very forgiving animation-wise.