RobCo PDQ-99a Liberator (Restored Pre-war Prototype) (wip)

Sebviz

Wow! That looks just amazing!!!

About aiming. As I understand from the sketch, the pilot of this thing mostly uses telemetry data, so there is no need to aim up or down with all body. As I can see the hand design allows its rotation almost in any direction, so aiming could be performed only with hands ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Inertia_suppression_field

Make it a prototype without shielding, with an upgrade to the inertia suppression field. That would be dubious.

[edit] And the aliens WERE in FO, FO2, so it is also original game lore so to speak. Just a later twist, as that tech wasn't introduced until later. However, since they have been encountered and this is a pre-war.... One could assume that the original doesn't have shielding, maybe glass? So bullet proof but minimal. It is a prototype and if somebody got it working post war, they would probably want to add better shielding. We are in FO4, which would have encountered these aliens by now with this newer tech.

Lore friendly-ish?

Edited by mushroomboy

Some ideas on how this thing could work, just my personal biases.

-Treated like PA, for the most part

-Has its own HUD

-Cannot fit in many places

-Provides fire, water breathing, and poison immunity so long as cockpit is not breached

-Provides good rad resistance so long as cockpit is not breached.

-Weak vs pulse damage, plasma, and strong explosives

-Requires 2 fusion cores to power it

-Has different craftable armors that fit over the arms, torso, legs, and cockpit. Off top of head, Raider Light, Raider Heavy, Military Recon, Military Assault, Science.

-Player can be damaged when cockpit armor is destroyed, or by shot that penetrate or bypass armor.

-Frame can be damaged when armor is destroyed, or by shots that penetrate or bypass armor.

-Ranged weapons appear hard-mounted on forearm and/or shoulders, rather than held. (less animation, and makes more sense, i think)

-"Iron sights" is just a zoom mode.

-Mech has its own physical stats that do not stack with player's

-Damage to the frame has its own penalties that must be repaired, as they don't heal.

Crippled legs slow top speed, reduce jumping height, reduce carry weight, remove any armor bonuses.

Crippled arms reduce accuracy of weapon mounted there, reduce strength, remove any armor bonuses.

Crippled cockpit exposes player to harm, and causes the camera/hud to fizzle and wash out, remove any armor bonuses.

Crippled torso disables the mech and its shuts down, booting player out, remove any armor bonuses.

-If mech is disabled, it no longer accepts fusion cores

-Players can craft "emergency repair modules" that plug in like fusion cores and restore basic functionality, but drain quickly. Providing just enough juice to get the mech somewhere where you can fix it.

-Repairing parts is costly, material wise

-Requires its own mech hangar station

-Cannot pick locks or hack while driving

-Cannot directly pick things up to add to inventory, but you can exit, pick up items, and store them on the mech as you'd store stuff in the trunk of a car.

-You can craft luggage racks and cargo satchels for the mech to increase carry weight.

-Mech knocks back and staggers anything you trample.

-Treated like PA, for the most part - it's not PA

-Has its own HUD

-Cannot fit in many places - then do the same to PA

-Provides fire, water breathing, and poison immunity so long as cockpit is not breached

-Weak vs pulse damage, plasma, and strong explosives - Why?

-Requires 2 fusion cores to power it - 1 is enough

-Has different craftable armors that fit over the arms, torso, legs, and cockpit. Off top of head, Raider Light, Raider Heavy, Military Recon, Military Assault, Science.

-Player can be damaged when cockpit armor is destroyed, or by shot that penetrate or bypass armor.

-Frame can be damaged when armor is destroyed, or by shots that penetrate or bypass armor. - Do the same to PA then

-Ranged weapons appear hard-mounted on forearm and/or shoulders, rather than held. (less animation, and makes more sense, i think) - Insert PA mounted weapons then...

-"Iron sights" is just a zoom mode. Why?

-Damage to the frame has its own penalties that must be repaired, as they don't heal.

Crippled legs slow top speed, reduce jumping height, reduce carry weight, remove any armor bonuses.

Crippled arms reduce accuracy of weapon mounted there, reduce strength, remove any armor bonuses.

Crippled cockpit exposes player to harm, and causes the camera/hud to fizzle and wash out, remove any armor bonuses.

Crippled torso disables the mech and its shuts down, booting player out, remove any armor bonuses. Sure... when the same is done to PA.

-If mech is disabled, it no longer accepts fusion cores Sure... when you do the same to PA

-Players can craft "emergency repair modules" that plug in like fusion cores and restore basic functionality, but drain quickly. Providing just enough juice to get the mech somewhere where you can fix it.

-Cannot pick locks or hack while driving Again, do it to PA too and then talk (sit down hacking doesn't count, need to get out of PA anyway).

-Cannot directly pick things up to add to inventory, but you can exit, pick up items, and store them on the mech as you'd store stuff in the trunk of a car. Do the same to PA and come back

-You can craft luggage racks and cargo satchels for the mech to increase carry weight.

-Mech knocks back and staggers anything you trample.

Why don't you just go around naked and weaponless while you're at it.

Edited by euph

-Cannot fit in many places: Because of size. This thing looks to be bigger than a deathclaw, by nature of its size, it wouldn't fit through normal doors.

-Weak vs pulse, plasma, strong explosives: Because A. it needs to have something that can harm it. and B. Consistency, these are the usual damage types that put the hurt on enemy robots.

-2 fusion cores: because this thing is bigger and more powerful than PAs, it makes sense to require more power and require more resource investment to use.

-Frame should be damaged: because since the player's arms and legs aren't in the limbs of the mech, there should be some consequence to getting shot in places other than the cockpit. PA handles this problem by the player being too dead to care what happens to the frame.

-Ranged weapons hardmounted: A ~15 tall robot is going to look really silly trying to hold and reload weapons meant for a person. PA only looks slightly silly using small guns. Something this big exacerbates the problem. Makes slight more sense to hardmounted it somehow.

-Iron sights is just a zoom in: Extension of previous point. You are in a 15ft tall robot. are you going to bring a little tiny gun up to your robot's cameras? Or just have the robot know how to target with it, and zoom in?

-Repairs being costly: Well it stands to reason they ought to be. There should still be a reason to use PA or wear normal armor. Putting your hard earned scrap to good use or saving it is part of that. I avoid using x01 armor right now, despite being my most powerful armor, because constant use is a drain on my aluminum, so I use lower tier armor that i can repair with common steel for the most part. Makes higher tier equipment feel special.

-I wouldn't mind PA not being allowed to hack or lockpick. But at least they only have fingers that are merely a bit larger than a normal person's. When your fingers are thicker than a wrist, keyboards and bobbypins seem a tad bit, dainty, and you literally cannot get close enough to the safe or computer due to sheer size without your mech tearing itself in half, it doesn't make sense to have it.

-Luggage racks and external cargo on a vehicle look cool, i don't see why not. Tanks do it all the time.

While he didn't really explain it, I think his point wasn't so much that PA should have the same limitations, but instead his point was 'go try to do it' mod wise, as a lot of the ideas probably are difficult / impossible to implement.

I could be completely wrong, though, so who knows.

-Treated like PA, for the most part

-Has its own HUD

-Cannot fit in many places

-Weak vs pulse damage, plasma, and strong explosives

-Requires 2 fusion cores to power it

-Frame can be damaged when armor is destroyed, or by shots that penetrate or bypass armor.

-Ranged weapons appear hard-mounted on forearm and/or shoulders, rather than held. (less animation, and makes more sense, i think)

-"Iron sights" is just a zoom mode.

Crippled torso disables the mech and its shuts down, booting player out, remove any armor bonuses.

-If mech is disabled, it no longer accepts fusion cores

-Cannot pick locks or hack while driving

-Cannot directly pick things up to add to inventory, but you can exit, pick up items, and store them on the mech as you'd store stuff in the trunk of a car.

-Mech knocks back and staggers anything you trample

I think Flyingdebris is on point here. The Liberator is a huge, not very flexible machine with a lot of armor and firepower. It's going to require a LOT of juice and resources to work and it may not be ideal for everything. It's going to be balanced and not some cheat mod.

It would be nice to go head on with a Deathclaw without being the small ant you are in a PA too :-)

-weapons will be hardmounted on this thing without the scope-to-eye zoom. Anything else would simply not work. I'm not sure how, but maybe you could equip an invisible weapon or a weapon without a mesh and have it be attached to the hardmounted weapon modeled onto the armor.

-The terminal is pretty much just the current pipboy inside the PA. An idea - There is a way to turn your loading screen into a green shade model-viewer - that effect could be the view inside the Liberator?

I think a lot of the points are possible as mods to the Liberator just like they are possible with the PA :-)

Edited by Sebviz