Any help/advice on controller/remapping?

I know most people are going to say the best way to PC game is mouse/keyboard, but my situation makes it difficult to use the mouse/keyboard (without going into a ton of needless detail, there are some health issues that make it impossible for me to sit at a desk for long and make it very tough for me to accurately control a mouse).

So, here's where I need help. I'm trying to find an xbox styled gamepad that has 4 to 6 extra buttons that can be configured to correspond to keystroke equivalent (mapping "extra button #1" to keystroke "N", for example". I'm finding several gamepads with extra buttons, but (if I'm understanding it correctly) they seem to only be able to re-map current button presses to a new location (mapping button "A" to "RB3",for example".

The Xbox controller is by far the most comfortable for me, so that's what I would prefer, but i'm not completely opposed to a different layout if I can get the number of buttons I need. I know I could use a remaping software to program key combinations for extra functions, but having to push multiple buttons while also trying to focus on the game would be less than ideal. Possible, yes.......but it makes things much more difficult for me, thus much less fun (which is why we play the games, no?)

So........any advice on a decent gamepad (preferrably Xbox style) with 6 or so extra keys?

Finally, any advice as to which remapping program is easiest for someone who isn't the best around computers to use?

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer

Watch.

If the Xbox controller is what's comfortable, it's where I'd go. I haven't used a "PC gamepad" (as in something that's sold explicitly for PC-use) in a while, but I don't ever remember any of them being of comparable build quality to the OEM Xbox or PlayStation controllers. For adjusting remapping, I hear good things about Xpadder.

As far as adding buttons beyond the Xbox controller, I'd consider something like the Belkin Nostromo; I think the trade name is "programmable gameboard" - they're designed to do exactly what you're after. Logitech and Razer also make their own variations. Yes its a separate device, but it should get you the functionality you're looking after. Alternately you might consider a foot pedal, like the Stinkyboard, to act as a modifier to the gamepad (e.g. you'd have Xbox button Y, and "modified Xbox button Y" when pressing the foot pedal).

If you just want an Xbox type controller then plug in an Xbox controller its plug 'n' play. If you want to use it wirelessly then you'll have buy an extra unit for it thats not cheap and its where MS grabs you by the short and curlies.

Personally I use a PS3 pad apart from having to install drivers it works perfectly and doesn't need an extra wireless unit just a cheap bluetooth dongle if theres not one built in, but thats just me.

As obobski said I've had "compatible" type controllers in the past and the build quality just isn't there I had one fall apart after a year or two and it wasn't any cheaper either whereas the official units just seem to last forever and will soak up a lot of punishment.

Edited by soupdragon1234