clean install crashing

scoobnut

I did a clean install of Skyrim but for some reason it now crashes at random.. Castle Dour, carriage travelling to Whiterun, going to main menu... I guess I'm missing something and am hoping someone can help me figure out what.

My PC...

i5-4670k 3.40GHz processor

8.00GB ram.

Nvidia GeForce gtx 970 4Gig

250 gig samsung ssd

I have SKSE installed through steam and use unbleak enb with the latest binary and my load order is always sorted by loot. I hate the thought of having to do another complete reinstall as am at a loss and papyrus confuses me.

Attached is both my load order and Papyrus.

I hope someone can figure this out...

Thank you.

Hi scoobnut,

This happened to me a lot due to using so many mods :smile: Skyrim has a memory limit of about 3.1gb of ram so if you surpass that number it will just crash.

There is a Skyrim performance monitor here (download it manually don't use NMM) - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6491/?

Give that ago. Gopher gives a nice installation video here if you get stuck, The installation instruction starts at 4:40. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTDCCCYuZk&feature=iv&src_vid=N9WLTY9R_5Y&annotation_id=annotation_1209307623

If you find that is the issue e.g. to many mods using the memory; there is a fix-ish in the form of the CTD and Memory patch ENBoost. Gopher does another great video about installing it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9WLTY9R_5Y

hope this helps or at least points you in the right direction :smile:

That's not what's causing it. You hit the memory cap which is 256MB per block. What you need to do is install the block memory ceiling fix to keep Skyrim from crashing. Trust me, I had this issue for YEARS and just discovered it 6 months ago and it fixed my biggest issue with heavily modding Skyrim. Watch this video by Gopher to understand what I mean. Running out of VRAM won't make you crash. It's running out of available RAM that the game can handle under the hood. If you run out of VRAM the game will just chug really slow.

Edited by Ivory_Soul

Another play attempt...

Running around was okay, but when I went to fight and drew my bow I went into that annoying slow motion I had before I reinstalled (which was the reason I did the clean install in the first place) then the game froze and locked up my pc forcing me too do a hard shut down.

Couldn't save the info from SPM but this is what I got from the on screen display...

VRAM - 2.221 (MB) highest was 2.500

RAM - 669

DISK 1/0 - 11(MB)

CPU - 34%

GPU - 70%

Threads - 40

FPS -

Report from earlier is attached. Both times I didn't hit the limit but still crashed/froze.

Still randomly crashing. I will be playing then suddenly it will crash to desk top or lock up causing me to do a hard restart.

My game was a lot more stable before the clean install when I had over 200 mods and some pretty heavy ones.