Yo Fellow modders, It is time to share some knowledge and get it them all pasted into one post so everyone can find them easily.

There is just one Rule really. If you don't have a tutorial pleae don't comment, let's not fill the thread with garbage, unless it's a super important message. Please use the same format as me and list the programs used and hyperlink to the tutorial obviously.

I will start by adding a few and try to add the tutorials people post to different categories so it's easier to find.

Programs used for modding

[/line]

[/line]

General

• FO4EDIT
    Clean mods, add and remove game records
    Currently used to actually make mods, this is not at all recommended, but until a creation kit is out there is no other option.

• IMPORTANT: When the GECK launches, you NEED to take your mod through there and save it and test there is a lot of records that are not decoded for Fallout 4, like the issues that is causing cell reset, a common misconception is that this is a engine bug. Any bug introduced because of a mod pre-Geck is most likely there because of missing records. it's a plausible engine bug, but missing record is a lot more likely cause of the problem, this is just a bad excuse we modders use to feel better about using highly experimental tools carelessly and blame it on bethesda like the good fans of any bethesda franchise is bound to do. :smile:

Modelling

• Bodyslide
    Easily get armor to fit with body types
  • Nifskope
    Needed to work with nif files and making your 3D models work ingame, pretty much required.

• Any 3D modeling program.
    Recommendations:
    • 3Ds Max 2015/2016 - NOT older.
    • Blender 2.6+, do NOT download 2.49b.

3ds max is the only one supporting import and export through nif plugins of Fallout 4 meshes at the moment, but you can also get around this by using Bodyslide if you do not have access to 3ds max.

Texturing

• Any texturing program
    Recommended:
    • Photoshop
    • Gimp

Scripting

Detailed description.

[/line]

Photoshop

Adobe now allow a subscription to their software which means that you pay a small ammount to get just photoshop and lightroom in a package that cost no more than a netflix membership each months and you will always have the newest version of adobe photoshop I really recommmend this. Gimp is fine, but not nearly as powerful and lack the same plugin support. A lot of 3D modeling programs support plugins to photoshop which means you can send baked textures back and forth and really get some kick ass textures on your models.

• I recommend using the package aimed at photographers, it also contains Lightroom, which you do not need, but it's cheaper to have that pack than just photoshop. I have this subscription myself.
  • Photoshop Plugin Nvidia DDS plugin by Nvidia

Gimp

This is probably the best alternative to photoshop for .dds plugin support, if not the only one.

3Ds Max/Maya

Autodesk have an excellent way of making us dependant on their software by making it free for non-commercial use for up to 36 months. Though for each new version of Autodesk software that comes out you can enroll on a new educational lisence for that version and get 36 new months for free for that version. I have used this program since 2012 and regularly upgraded my version of 3Ds Max and Maya, So I know it works.

Keep in mind that the Nif plugin that is required to export software might not always be upgraded as often as new versions come out. Right now the nif plugin supports 3ds max 2015/2016. But when a new version comes out again, you might not get a working nif plugin right away, important to check the nif plugin download page for info on this.

Blender

Best option for free 3d modeling program out there, this program is a lot more powerful than people think. It is open source, as with all open source, there is a risk to using them as there are tons of developers adding code, this sometimes leads to more bugs than features. So when you get a working version, stick to it.

Currently, blender does not support nif's for Fallout 4, so it does not matter what version you use. But I cincerly do NOT recommend 2.49b for anything, not good for a beginner at all.

The rest of the

Tutorials

[/line]

[/line]

XML installer/Fomod installer

[/line]

Import/export/Modeling/Animation

[/line]

Nifskope Tutorials

[/line]

How to use Addon-nodes for Lights by Necrocytosis

• Programs Used: FO4EDIT and Nifskope

Working with Snapping Points (CPA) by @StuykGaming

• Programs Used: Nifskope

FO4EDIT Tutorials

[/line]

General modding for Fallout 4 by @skyrimlu

• Programs Used: Skyrims Creation Kit and FO4EDIT, Nifskope.

Combined Objects workaround (Non Ref AV Objects) by

• Programs Used: FO4EDIT

Working with Object Bounds and .nif Bounds by @StuykGaming

Combined Objects workaround (Non Ref AV Objects) by

User Interface / HUD

[/line]

More to be added and please do help out, I can't go digging for all this myself and if we could get a stuicky on this it would be very nice!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Converting OBJ to usable NIF files, converting is possible with both blender and Maya, contrary to your post.

But only if you are using outfit studio. There is no import/export plugins for either of those. Anyway, this is worth adding to the list ^^

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of my own to add: Tutorial for building NMM installer scripts.

It's tutorial for making NMM installer scripts. I cover every tag's purpose and explain what values can be put in them and why. It's written for beginners to markup languages.

ok folk ,maybe someone out there in the land of the internet could help,

my issue; MODDING

WHAT I HAVE DONE: nexus mod manager installed

followed updated instructions for allowing the gaming client to run mods

downloaded a couple of mods

activated said mods and the mod manager indicated they were installed and running properly

then the game would not start

i then deactivated said mods and game wont start at all

went back and deleted the lines that i was instructed to wright and saved said files

game still didn't work

deleted the game from steam and redownloaded

so i figured i could just try again fresh start maybe i screwed up it happens

went back and followed the instructions again

but the problem is when i try to find the file marked "Fallout4custom.ini" IT DOES NOT EXIST

but here is the deal the game works now but i cant get to the right file to allow modding WTF did i do?...........please help a noob

ok folk ,maybe someone out there in the land of the internet could help,

my issue; MODDING

WHAT I HAVE DONE: nexus mod manager installed

followed updated instructions for allowing the gaming client to run mods

downloaded a couple of mods

activated said mods and the mod manager indicated they were installed and running properly

then the game would not start

i then deactivated said mods and game wont start at all

went back and deleted the lines that i was instructed to wright and saved said files

game still didn't work

deleted the game from steam and redownloaded

so i figured i could just try again fresh start maybe i screwed up it happens

went back and followed the instructions again

but the problem is when i try to find the file marked "Fallout4custom.ini" IT DOES NOT EXIST

but here is the deal the game works now but i cant get to the right file to allow modding WTF did i do?...........please help a noob

have you watched gophers video tutorials on how to get fall out 4 ready to be played?. have u messed with the ini . files at all . a friend of mine had same issue and he got it fixed up