Request: ways to reduce large settelment lag

tweavtheman

Any way we can reduce lag generated by structures and electrical components? Most notably light boxes and wire connections. Better Generators is a good mod and it helps a lot, but what else can be we reduce.

Basically you can’t build massive structures without getting slammed with lag. No, reducing resolution doesn’t help! And before you ask I’m running two GTX 980’s in sli…

I'm not sure that there is anything that can be done with a mod to reduce the lag. What is it in particular? I have enormous settlements and I do not get any lag - even with a stupid amount of clutter placed by OCD.

Do you have high end texture packs installed?

Unfortunately I think you are correct that there isn’t anything else that can be done. I was hoping people would have some ideas.

I don’t have any texture packs. I think I just have too many light boxes (680) all wired up. I was using them to make windows and then placing concrete to cover up the backs. I didn’t have any lag when I had 500 or even 580, and when I disconnect some the lag goes away.

Like I said the lag got better after I started using “better generators” and I was able to remove most of them. But it’s still pretty bad. I see a lot of people having lag issues, and was wondering what else we could do. Maybe this isn’t the right forum.

Wireless power for all powered objects might help. Or cause more issues lol.

Could be settlement mods you have, I personally made the *cries a lil bit* ... serious choice of removing "Scrap Everything" from my load order due to it causing lag on my game when near my settlement.

This mod literally killed my FPS, went from solid 30 everywhere (Capped at 30, always do) to like 22ish and would drop to like 18 at times, craaaaaazy dip in FPS, removing it fixed it, just a damn shame it is such a great mod, I really miss it, but it was hard to play with it on my pc, so it might be a mod or mods you are using? Not your computer itself.

It may not help with settlement lag but if you scroll down a bit in this thread http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1543988-a-data-vault-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-pc-version/ there's some tweaks you can try with the GeForce cards (just fully disabling the Nivdia streaming service helped me A LOT, and I'm on two GTX 970's myself), but I still haven't found anything to solve my FPS loss when I'm in the build menu. I drop from a nice solid 60fps to about 40-45 fps if I'm in the build menu for more than a few minutes at a time. But I suspect the new patch is to blame for that.

Anyway good luck to you. Also if you do mess around with the Nivida Inspector tool you probably want to note down what your settings were before you started tweaking things, so you can revert them if need be.

Thanks for all the good tips, the link was helpful. I tried disabling all mods and no change. I do use nvidia inspector and I am quite knowledgeable on its use. I think I’m just reaching the games limit on settlement content. I used the weapon drop/storage glitch to lower the settlement completely like 10-15 times lol. That was before I knew there was a mod that I could have used. I always build too much stuff. Minecraft tekkit servers hate me!!!

I want to make a note that even with all that lag the GPU usage is only about 40-50%, with both cards over clocked to 1500 MHz and CPU usage is similar. This just confirms for me at least that the game was simply not designed to support settlements that are just way too big.

Thanks again.

Tweav – out..

• 8 months later...

I got the same issue as well. I juts built a settlement in Red Rocket outside of Sanctuary and i got 20-30 FPS when im usually get 60 FPS. My specs are:

Intel Core i5 6600

Radeon 470 4GB GDDR5

8GB DDR4 Corsair

If any of you have solution i would very grateful.